Official Gun Talk Thread - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
The Clubhouse The Clubhouse is an area where we can post topics on all kinds of things that are not necessarily related to 'Lexus'.

Official Gun Talk Thread

Old 10-29-08, 10:37 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by vwynn View Post
Yea ive been around Aims since they are bit in the AR15 Forum but theres other places that are decent as well like ammoman, ammounitiontogo, and so on. The only problem is im not 21 yet =[ kinda strange since i can buy an AR-15 but cant get ammo online =[

At stores like ammo bros they sell reloads of .223/.... 500 round (in 30 cal ammo cnas) for $189 after tax.

but imma see if i can get that 500 round intro price =] dont mind having extra 30 cal cans hehe. hopefully my older bro can order it for me.

edit: Dam.. forgot my bro isnt 21 yet =[
wideners doesnt require ID for ordering ammo, you can try there
Old 10-29-08, 10:49 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Seems like they are stocking up in Florida

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V71Do4Fj8XU
Old 10-29-08, 10:52 AM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lil4X View Post
$25 for an M-1 Garand is a sweet deal. Although many people believe that 70 y/o rifle is an antique, I've watched match competitors consistently put 8/10 in the 10X ring (about the size of a frozen orange juice can lid) from 600 yds. - with an standard M-1 and the factory iron sights (using hand-loaded 30-06 ammo). Supposedly the max effective range was 440 yards, but the experts routinely tore the 10X out of the target at that range. 600 yards began to be a contest. The black on a match target is about 2' in diameter and at 600 yds. - and is almost a figment of your imagination. Pretty fair accuracy for a high-volume manufacture semi-auto with a peepsight.

The M-1 did have a nasty reputation for smashing thumbs when closing the bolt on an empty receiver. The drill was to depress the follower down into the receiver, unlocking the bolt, and allowing the bolt to slam home under spring pressure. This was done by extending your hand flat, palm to the left and the edge of your palm engaging the locking rod lug, and sliding it down alongside the receiver on the right side of the weapon - as you slid your thumb into the receiver, depressing the follower.

The idea was to unlock the bolt and allow it to slide over the follower assembly without chambering your thumb. If you held your hand in the proper position, in theory the advancing operating rod lug attached to the bolt would roll your hand forward, extracting your thumb in the nick of time. It took a week or so to master the drill, but it soon became second nature. The spring was rather stiff, and the unwary or untrained could be caught by the bolt slamming home with their thumb still in the receiver. New M-1 (and later, M-14) owners could often be spotted by the black right thumbnail. Veterans of a certain age will remember it well.

Despite its age and humble Springfield pedigree, it's still a formidable weapon. At nine and a half pounds, it's heavy by today's standards, holds only eight rounds (loaded in a clip), and is a bit long for urban assault, but especially at ranges over 100 yards, it will still easily outperform an AK for accuracy. It's rate of fire is impressive, but with only 8 rounds in the spring clip, the shooter is better served by marksmanship than the "pray and spray" technique. It is relatively simple to use, is easily disassembled and cleaned in the field, and is practically unstoppable under the worst combat conditions. At 200 yards and beyond, it is still one of the deadliest weapons in the arsenal.

I agree...the M-1 Garand was and still is a solid rifle. Stumbling across this thread makes me want to go stock up

For $25 bucks, I'll pick up 2 or 3...LoL

I wouldn't mind a Springfield M-14 either...
Old 10-29-08, 01:02 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

The worst part of Cali gun laws is the number of mfrs that just don't want to full with the state. In long guns the AR/AK just isn't here and the 10 rd ban on magazines doesn't help. Even with the 10 rd magazine limitation, handguns have to be approved by the state and many mfrs just don't bother with getting approval, and that's a pain as some of the nicer pieces that are higher priced/lower volume aren't available here. Who knows, maybe Obama will unify the laws and either mfrs decide to go out of biz or make 50 state legal models. Hard to justify some honking big grip double stack 87 rd. pistol if you are only going to get 10 rd magazines.

Having said that, you can still get plenty of firearms legally. 1911s aren't bothered by the 10 rd limit and since the mag limit, we have had many more single stack offerings that are not only easier to hold but more concealable. Picked up a Ranch Rifle a couple of months ago in 6.8 and it is more accurate than previous Ruger autos and the 6.8 is a pretty interesting round. Springfields M1A1s are available here and are both accurate and good stoppers even to reach out to touch someone (sure would like the Scout Squad to come off backorder). It isn't impossible to get over 10 rd mags, especially if you travel, but not actually needed. And shotguns are available in the security versions with 7/8 rd capacities that I actually prefer if the situation permits it. Because they don't have magazines, they aren't classified as assault weapons so you can get the pistol grip versions here if that is your cup of tea. And they aren't all that expensive either.

Cali may not be quite as open as other states but not unmanageable IMO.
Old 10-29-08, 01:21 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SC400Dude View Post
I agree...the M-1 Garand was and still is a solid rifle. Stumbling across this thread makes me want to go stock up

For $25 bucks, I'll pick up 2 or 3...LoL

I wouldn't mind a Springfield M-14 either...
Prices online from CMP show $500, I dont know where $25 came from; but that sounds like a better deal to me

My ATR100 rifle cost me ~$315 after buying a Leupold scope for it.

I would also LOVE a good condition 1911, but can never find them very affordable. The prices on them are really crazy.
Old 10-29-08, 01:51 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

if anyone wants a posterchild pistol for an assault weapons ban, go look at the springfield armory XDM 9mm that just came out 19+1 capacity, and you get 2 free mags for a limited time (total of 4)

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 10-29-08 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-29-08, 02:01 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

yeah you'll need 19 rounds to put anything down with a little 9 rofl! I'm of the persuasion, if its not a .45 (ACP or GAP, no care), then its not going to make a good pistol (unless you want a target pistol)
Old 10-29-08, 05:08 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

I got one Arsenal SA M7 in 7.62x39 and Polish tantal AK74 on the way. This is the first time buy some AK type rifle because the platform is not silencer's friendly. Well, Smith & Wesson just came out with MP 15R that shoot 5.45x39(AK74 round),so I decide to the get both AKs and looking for the S&W MP 15R. I just ordered a few thousand rounds of 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 from Century Arm Inc, they have the sell of Hot Shot ammo until Oct. 31th. You can get 800 round of 5.45x39 for $100.00.

As for the .223/5.56, .308, .45 ACP and 9mm which is I shoot a lot, I'm reloading so I'm cool with all the ammo supplied. I will need to stock up on powder to keep up with all the bullets,brass and primers that I bought like 15K total to reload all those calipers. I think reloading is the way to go because you can customize your bullet just for the specific range that you shoot, type of gun with silencer or without, self defense or target shooting.

I'm reloading my .45ACP with 185GR Hollow point bullet for self defense( hot load) and reloading 230 GR Sub sonic( less than 1000 FPS) to shoot with silencer. For the .223/5.56 I reload 55GR bullet for training class and 75GR V-Max for 300 yards shooting. I reload the .308 the same way, usually a week or two before I go to the range. If I shoot 700 yards then I load with heavier bullet(175 GR),but if I shoot with in 500 yards then I load with lighter bullet(155 GR).

I'm sure the new government will tax the heck out of the ammo to make shooting become more painful and out of reach. They will make gun buying tougher and impossible to get. A few years ago when I sent out my Form 4 to the ATF for a silencer it only took 4 weeks to get approved,but my last silencer I it mailed out in May 2008 and got approved the first week of August, a 12 weeks waiting. I was figure after 5 silencers and one machine gun the ATF probably know me by first name,but I was wrong due to the volume that beyond the control of the ATF agencies.

Anyway, happy stocking up guys. Also get as much as training or shooting class as you can. If your local gun range offer the night time shooting class, please jump on it because 80% of the crimes happened at night. I shoot between 300-1000 rounds a month in both target practice,training class and competition,but when I did the night shooting class last month I was completely amazed how darkness and stress can do. I mean, in the darkness, with instructor screaming at you and trying to shoot the target and change magazine,...ect...It's not easy thing to do at all. I'm saving up for PVS-14 night vision goggle...

Last edited by VVT-i; 10-29-08 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-29-08, 05:21 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

sig has a nice 20 shot 9mm which is good if your "fun shooting"

a nice 1911 will never go out of style

and why not grab a couple of ak's at $450 a pop just to say I have it
Old 10-29-08, 05:22 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

My guns are getting lonely, so I'm looking at picking up a few more pistols. I got to handle a Walther P99 and Stoeger Cougar the other day. Also like the looks of the new FNP-45.
Old 10-29-08, 06:14 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

if you wanna see what 4000 rounds + an AK looks like:
Old 10-29-08, 06:18 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

that is one clean AK. very nice!
Old 10-29-08, 06:23 PM
LexFather

illegal gun sales are increasing as well fwiw...

I did buy me a Acura/Honda owner (no NSX or S2000 guys) bulletproof shied to surround me in case something happens.

Old 10-29-08, 06:49 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX View Post
illegal gun sales are increasing as well fwiw...

I did buy me a Acura/Honda owner (no NSX or S2000 guys) bulletproof shied to surround me in case something happens.
LMAO Mike, I was looking to get that Acura/Honda bulletproof shield too,but I'm waiting for the type-S shield to come out after Thanksgiving....
Old 10-29-08, 07:03 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by VVT-i View Post
LMAO Mike, I was looking to get that Acura/Honda bulletproof shield too,but I'm waiting for the type-S shield to come out after Thanksgiving....
LMFAO at the Type-S shield? WHat kind of ammo does that block? Armour piercing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official Gun Talk Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: