New Palm Treo 750v - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

The Clubhouse The Clubhouse is an area where we can post topics on all kinds of things that are not necessarily related to 'Lexus'.

New Palm Treo 750v

Old 09-21-06, 04:26 AM   #1
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up New Palm Treo 750v

Palm finally released their latest Treo, the 750V. Currently it is only available in Europe under VodaFone, but will soon be released here under Cingular. There have been a lot of threads recently about PDA and phone reccomendations so I thought I'd post this thread since most people don't know about it. I also had to post this thread because I worked there this summer and spent all my time writing code for this device So I can proudly say that I helped make that thing! I added some functionality to the sounds and notifications panel (if any of you use windows mobile, you know what I'm talking about) and I also made some changes to the way the device plays ringtones. Not bad for a summer intern eh? Check out these pics, I've been dieing to share these forever and now I finally can!

These pics are courtesy of TreoNauts. I would post pictures of my actual units, but they are technically prototypes and I could get into trouble for that.

If any of you currently use Treos, you will greatly appreciate that this phone no longer has an external antenna. The form factor is much nicer. It is slightly slimmer than the 650 and 700 series, but the main change is that it weighs 15% less which actually translates to a much better feel in your hand. It is MUCH more comfortable to use and I absolutely love the device.

Sorry for the shameless plug, I'm just excited to see something come out that I worked on!

Article: http://blog.treonauts.com/2006/09/treo_750v_in_my.html
Suneet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-06, 07:06 AM   #2
jdmdaddy
Lead Lap

Very cool man. I love gadgets.
jdmdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-06, 09:01 AM   #3
Hameed
CF fanatic

Great news Suneet! It is a great feeling to know you have worked on something tangible that a lot of people will experience!

How much RAM does this baby have by the way? 23 MB on the 650 is so little.

I just bought a 650 and am very happy with it so far. Very stable - and I already have quite a few apps on it. Knock on wood now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by genearch View Post
Great looking piece of hardware. I've used most every phone/pda out there and I am sticking with Blackberry. (I just picked up an 8703) I found the Treo to be the most unstable OS I've ever used, especially the Palm OS version.
Hey Gene, I am curious to know if your reasons for sticking to the BB over the Treo is mainly because of your personal experience with it's instability or was it a combination of other reasons such as useful functions/versus useless functions when compared to the BB?

Last edited by Hameed; 09-21-06 at 09:15 AM.
Hameed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-06, 09:24 AM   #4
varcity64
Lexus Champion

i have the LG VX6700 for verizon and i love it
varcity64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-06, 09:32 AM   #5
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Yes, but does it run linux?
vraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-06, 06:54 PM   #6
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

cool!!

Im using a treo 700w now. I'll upgrade as soon as its available
DriftGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-06, 07:51 AM   #7
Hameed
CF fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by genearch View Post
I like stuff that "just works". The Treo platform has been a disappointment since the 650. i was happy with the 650 with the exception of battery life. I did extended trials with both the 700P & 700W. The P was a bit better, but both were terrible in battery life. The 700W is a UI nightmare.
Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression your feedback was based on the 650 which is what I have and am very happy with it.

Battery life is a non-issue to me as I always plug my phone in when I get home at night and there is usually at least 50% life in it. But yes, you are right, battery life does suck on it.

Quote:
Both were unstable. I like the Blackberry because to me, they have proven themselves to be bulletproof. It does what it does and does not try to be the swiss army knife of PDA/Phones. I also like that I never "hotsync", it's all done wirelessly. Microsoft Exchange wireless "ActiveSync" is extremely unreliable and a battery hog.
I kinda like the "swiss army knife of PDA/Phones" role that my 650 has.

I can live without the wireless email download of the BB, so to me the 650 is the perfect PDA. I just have my 650 on a schedule to download my email at 8:00 AM in the morning and that's it. The rest of the time after 9:00 AM, I am in front of my pc and don't read email on the Treo. So to me it works just great!
Old 09-22-06, 07:25 PM   #8
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

When I was doing the corporate gig my Blackberry was by FAR the most useful PDA type tool I ever used. Besides e-mail Hameed, my calendar was synched wirelessly to Exchange/Outlook which was VERY handy. I'd be in a meeting and someone would say "can you meet at such and such time?" and I'd look on my Blackberry, and if OK I'd stick it in there. Didn't have to worry about synchronizing when I got back to my desk - it was already done. The only thing it wouldn't synchronize wirelessly was new contacts.

But beyond the wireless aspect, I think the thumbwheel is WORLDS better than the touch screens of Treo/Palm devices. Touch screen with stylus seems cool but once you see how quickly you can do things (mostly one handed) with the Blackberry's thumbwheel and back button, the choice is obvious.

And besides, Hameed, RIM is CANADIAN, eh?
bitkahuna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-06, 12:23 AM   #9
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

That's Awesome!

Having Treo 650 envy (wife's phone)

This thing looks rocking.

I'm not sure I like Windows CE better then PALM OS.

I love both but find PALM OS still easier and faster.
alexulan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-06, 06:00 AM   #10
Hameed
CF fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
When I was doing the corporate gig my Blackberry was by FAR the most useful PDA type tool I ever used. Besides e-mail Hameed, my calendar was synched wirelessly to Exchange/Outlook which was VERY handy. I'd be in a meeting and someone would say "can you meet at such and such time?" and I'd look on my Blackberry, and if OK I'd stick it in there. Didn't have to worry about synchronizing when I got back to my desk - it was already done. The only thing it wouldn't synchronize wirelessly was new contacts.
Yes that is very cool.

Quote:
But beyond the wireless aspect, I think the thumbwheel is WORLDS better than the touch screens of Treo/Palm devices. Touch screen with stylus seems cool but once you see how quickly you can do things (mostly one handed) with the Blackberry's thumbwheel and back button, the choice is obvious.
Yes, the thumbwheel is great! The Treo has a 5 way navigator and not having used the BB, I can't say which one is better personally, but after a little bit of practice, the 5-way navigator makes using the Treo also very easy and completely 1 handed.

Quote:
And besides, Hameed, RIM is CANADIAN, eh?