Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Factory suspension options GS450h

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-19, 12:54 PM
randomname
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Factory suspension options GS450h

Hi, I was just wondering if I were to look at a GS450h, before and after facelift, what the options are on the suspension. This would be for the European market.

As I get it, the default is already always with hydraulic shock absorbers which you can set the hardness (sport or normal) through a button, right?
Then, there is optional air suspension. How does that exactly work? As in, if I were to have the maximum allowed weight in the car, mostly on rear axle, would it balance out? Or allow you to set rear higher?
And does the air suspension work next to the already adjustable shocks, or are they then not adjustable anymore?

Then there is also an optional active stabilizer bar. Sounds really cool and effective. But is it reliable? And how do you know if you have it? I read somewhere it is present in spare wheel location?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-22-19, 05:38 PM
rl9010
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by randomname
Hi, I was just wondering if I were to look at a GS450h, before and after facelift, what the options are on the suspension. This would be for the European market.

As I get it, the default is already always with hydraulic shock absorbers which you can set the hardness (sport or normal) through a button, right?
Then, there is optional air suspension. How does that exactly work? As in, if I were to have the maximum allowed weight in the car, mostly on rear axle, would it balance out? Or allow you to set rear higher?
And does the air suspension work next to the already adjustable shocks, or are they then not adjustable anymore?

Then there is also an optional active stabilizer bar. Sounds really cool and effective. But is it reliable? And how do you know if you have it? I read somewhere it is present in spare wheel location?

Thanks in advance

Welcome! From what I understand the only option was the power active stabilizer system. I am not too sure about the air-suspension...maybe it was offered in other markets.

The PASS system can be found in the spare tire well. You will find a bunch of hardware in place of a spare tire. If you see a spare tire, the car is not equipped with pass. Typically if the gs450h has run flats it has the pass. Pass seems to be reliable but it does have it's own 12v battery which needs replacing, but it seems to be the only thing about the system that needs attention.
Old 01-23-19, 12:43 AM
randomname
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks!
So I can't find the ad anymore with the air suspension, maybe it was something custom, or some error in the ad.
But there are also some that say the car doesn't have the active suspension. So does it mean you can have a GS450h with normal suspension as well? Nothing adjustable? Or will you always have at least a button to go from Normal to Sport?
Which is, I assume, done with the hydraulic shock aborbers which can also start leaking and are expensive to replace right?

Also when you get the active stabilizer mechanism, is that together with the active suspension or instead of?

And all of the above does not seem to be related to any trim level (Business or Luxury etc) right?

Last edited by randomname; 01-23-19 at 01:56 AM.
Old 01-23-19, 01:17 PM
rl9010
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by randomname
Thanks!
So I can't find the ad anymore with the air suspension, maybe it was something custom, or some error in the ad.
But there are also some that say the car doesn't have the active suspension. So does it mean you can have a GS450h with normal suspension as well? Nothing adjustable? Or will you always have at least a button to go from Normal to Sport?
Which is, I assume, done with the hydraulic shock aborbers which can also start leaking and are expensive to replace right?

Also when you get the active stabilizer mechanism, is that together with the active suspension or instead of?

And all of the above does not seem to be related to any trim level (Business or Luxury etc) right?
So "normal" suspension on the 450h will have the adjustable damper. It's actually a regular gas strut with an adjustment **** at the top. The switch from normal to sport simply moves a servo that adjusts the dampening.

PASS is an option so you can have the system or regular good old sway bars. PASS essentially replaces the sway bars with an active system. This is tied to the run flat tire option.
I am not sure how the car was packaged for other markets, so I can't say it is related or not to the trim level.

Quite possible the air suspension ad you saw was a custom job. I know air is a popular choice for many with this car.
The following users liked this post:
randomname (01-24-19)
Old 02-10-19, 10:40 AM
450hmatt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just tried replacing the rear struts on my 2008 GS450h with KYB's bought from Napa. The tech at Toyota said that he couldn't make them work after several hours of labor! I was annoyed because you'd think they'd check before trying to fit them. I think the Sport mode connections might have him confused.

Anyway, now I'm looking at OEM parts on LexusPartsNow ( part number 48530-80454) for $281.50 each. But I'm thinking maybe I should look for a shop that just does suspension and wheels rather than at the Toyota dealer. The rear struts are completely shot so need to get this done.

I don't see the parts on sale at Rock Auto.

1) Is it better to get those OEM parts or should I try the KYB's again? Anyone know the exact part number for KYB's so I make sure I'm getting the right ones?

2) I'm on 135,000 miles so wondering if I should replace any other suspension components while I'm getting this done. Any advice is welcome.

3) Does constant driving in sport mode put significantly more wear on the suspension?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by 450hmatt; 02-10-19 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-12-19, 02:01 PM
rl9010
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 450hmatt
I just tried replacing the rear struts on my 2008 GS450h with KYB's bought from Napa. The tech at Toyota said that he couldn't make them work after several hours of labor! I was annoyed because you'd think they'd check before trying to fit them. I think the Sport mode connections might have him confused.

Anyway, now I'm looking at OEM parts on LexusPartsNow ( part number 48530-80454) for $281.50 each. But I'm thinking maybe I should look for a shop that just does suspension and wheels rather than at the Toyota dealer. The rear struts are completely shot so need to get this done.

I don't see the parts on sale at Rock Auto.

1) Is it better to get those OEM parts or should I try the KYB's again? Anyone know the exact part number for KYB's so I make sure I'm getting the right ones?

2) I'm on 135,000 miles so wondering if I should replace any other suspension components while I'm getting this done. Any advice is welcome.

3) Does constant driving in sport mode put significantly more wear on the suspension?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Just a quick response...

1. Kyb should be the oem brand for our struts. "Sport" adjustable simply means we have servos on the top of the damper to adjust dampening on the fly. Sorry I don't know the exact model number.
2. Maybe bushings, but probably not really necessary. Stock the suspension is not adjustable so there shouldn't be an issue.
3. Constantly driving in sport mode should have no detrimental effect on the suspension. You are simply driving with a stiffer setting of the shock. I think throttle response is sharpened up a tad, although most likely a placebo effect.
The following users liked this post:
450hmatt (02-12-19)
Old 03-07-19, 06:35 AM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by rl9010
Just a quick response...

1. Kyb should be the oem brand for our struts. "Sport" adjustable simply means we have servos on the top of the damper to adjust dampening on the fly. Sorry I don't know the exact model number.
2. Maybe bushings, but probably not really necessary. Stock the suspension is not adjustable so there shouldn't be an issue.
3. Constantly driving in sport mode should have no detrimental effect on the suspension. You are simply driving with a stiffer setting of the shock. I think throttle response is sharpened up a tad, although most likely a placebo effect.
FYI, there are several brands (tein for sure, but I think I saw at least somebody else too) offering AVS-compatible struts (well, coilovers, really). Probably rebuildable if/when they puke (their oil's viscosity modifiers will have gone bust by that point anyways).

I've also seen mentions of people having the OEM struts rebuilt, making them threaded for future rebuilds and all that. I have two new (well, ~15k km on them) on the car and two busted (all rear) in the garage, so I'm wondering... I'd really love to have a shock dyno graph of the stock struts.

Next unanswerable question is why are the OEM monotube gas struts costing well over 50 bucks not rebuildable. IMO changing the suspension fluid should be a regular maintenance task...
Old 12-16-23, 11:16 PM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

this is PASS