Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Rear Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-18, 09:25 AM
UZS160
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I want the rear end to be somewhat stiff, I like oversteer more than understeer personally, idk if that’s the outcome I’m gonna get, but I wanna try it, if I don’t like it, I’ll just get the HardRace rear.
Old 08-21-18, 11:30 AM
UZS160
Rookie

Also wondering if anyone has info about lsd for the 4GS, I’m gonna make a new post about it but wanna ask in here while this post is active
Old 08-21-18, 06:55 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by UZS160
I want the rear end to be somewhat stiff, I like oversteer more than understeer personally, idk if that’s the outcome I’m gonna get, but I wanna try it, if I don’t like it, I’ll just get the HardRace rear.
You can adjust the front end alignment to help with reducing the understeer, maybe even get it to balanced. Add as much positive caster as you can get and then set -1° camber. Should help a lot.

Personally, I like a full, 4 wheel drift, 50/50 with maybe a first hint of understeer with throttle induced oversteer.
Old 08-22-18, 08:52 AM
UZS160
Rookie

Thank you for the info, I haven’t had the car for long though, how would I add positive caster to the 4GS?
Old 08-22-18, 08:57 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by UZS160
Thank you for the info, I haven’t had the car for long though, how would I add positive caster to the 4GS?
I'd have a professional alignment shop align it. Mine currently has nearly +5° of caster after I had it aligned for bad inside tire wear I was getting.

Last edited by Knucklebus; 04-16-19 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-22-18, 05:10 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
I'd have a professional alignment shop align it. Mine currently has nearly +5° of caster after I had it aligned for bad inside tire where I was getting.
Did you ever find any good sway bars for our AWD vehicles?
Old 08-22-18, 06:50 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by eddie420
Did you ever find any good sway bars for our AWD vehicles?
Gave up looking. Getting either of the sway bars in/out looks to be a bit of a chore.

Decided to concentrate on getting my tires to wear evenly. I may investigate it in the future by trying stiffer bushings or even try to shorten the existing sway bar ala new mounting hole inboard of the existing one for greater resistance with minimal work.
The following users liked this post:
eddie420 (08-22-18)
Old 10-11-18, 10:16 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by azipod
My HardRace set is on order and should be here and installed in about a month or so. It's approx $550 shipped, I forgot the exact price.

Nigel-JDM also has a set but they are in almost the $800 range, before shipping.

SuperPro also has a 22mm heavy-duty bar that goes for $289. But this is just the REAR and it's not a set. Order at suspension.com

Every place that has it requires it to be special ordered and takes anywhere from 4-8 weeks. I guess there's not enough GS owners that want this.
UPDATE: Had the HardRace front and rear anti-sway bar installed on my 2013 GS450h yesterday. The result is fantastic! Aside from having the car now being more balanced and neutral in the turns, the steering itself actually became more "crisp and direct." This by no means transforms the car into a "sports car" but it definitely gives it the added tuning that this car needs. I always felt that my GS450h was too heavy and plows hard into the curves when driven hard.... maybe it's a bit more balanced in stock form for the GS350 since it's several hundred pounds lighter.

As you all know, anti-sway bars are hard to come by for the GS. There are a few importers for other obscure brands but they are very expensive and the importer's reviews were kind of sketchy. The HardRace set can be purchased for about $540 shipped from VelocityShop in Florida. They have great customer service btw. They will need to import them which will take 6-8 weeks. The part number for the front is #7988 and the rear is #8526. You will not find these parts in their catalog -- they are special order only. These will fit all 2013+ GS (excluding AWD). Not sure about the GS-F..

The only thing you need to be aware of is the installation which needs to be discussed with your mechanic beforehand. The installation for the front is straight-forward. On the rear, the book rate calls for almost 10-hours of labor which equates to about $1,000 for labor alone -- using current labor rates in N. CA! This is because the repair manual will call for the entire rear sub-frame to be removed so that the rear-bar could be accessed (it sits on the top of the rear sub-frame and suspension components). My mechanic was able to just lower the sub frame several inches to snake in the rear bar.... which required about 2 hours of labor instead of 10. Just FYI!

I'm glad to be the first(?) to do this and to share my result. Let me know if you guys have any questions!

Last edited by azipod; 10-11-18 at 11:17 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by azipod:
Knucklebus (10-11-18), RichardB23 (09-19-19)
Old 10-11-18, 10:03 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

UPDATE: Had the HardRace front and rear anti-sway bar installed on my 2013 GS450h yesterday. The result is fantastic! Aside from having the car now being more balanced and neutral in the turns, the steering itself actually became more "crisp and direct." This by no means transforms the car into a "sports car" but it definitely gives it the added tuning that this car needs. I always felt that my GS450h was too heavy and plows hard into the curves when driven hard.... maybe it's a bit more balanced in stock form for the GS350 since it's several hundred pounds lighter.

As you all know, anti-sway bars are hard to come by for the GS. There are a few importers for other obscure brands but they are very expensive and the importer's reviews were kind of sketchy. The HardRace set can be purchased for about $540 shipped from VelocityShop in Florida. They have great customer service btw. They will need to import them which will take 6-8 weeks. The part number for the front is #7988 and the rear is #8526. You will not find these parts in their catalog -- they are special order only. These will fit all 2013+ GS (excluding AWD). Not sure about the GS-F..

The only thing you need to be aware of is the installation which needs to be discussed with your mechanic beforehand. The installation for the front is straight-forward. On the rear, the book rate calls for almost 10-hours of labor which equates to about $1,000 for labor alone -- using current labor rates in N. CA! This is because the repair manual will call for the entire rear sub-frame to be removed so that the rear-bar could be accessed (it sits on the top of the rear sub-frame and suspension components). My mechanic was able to just lower the sub frame several inches to snake in the rear bar.... which required about 2 hours of labor instead of 10. Just FYI!

I'm glad to be the first(?) to do this and to share my result. Let me know if you guys have any questions!
We have been looking for AWD (GRL15) sway bars. I can't for the life of me find any. I need them badly, the roll on this car is horrible.
Old 10-12-18, 09:29 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by eddie420
We have been looking for AWD (GRL15) sway bars. I can't for the life of me find any. I need them badly, the roll on this car is horrible.
I don't think any exists for the AWD. It was tough enough finding it for the RWD.
Old 10-14-18, 07:44 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

what about some pictures?
waikai79 (02-07-22)
Old 10-17-18, 12:28 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sam430
what about some pictures?
No pictures are available because they were installed by a mechanic at a shop.

There is no real secret to the installation. The sub-frame in the rear just needs to be lowered several inches to snake in the rear bar.. which goes on top of the rear suspension and its components. Just don't go with the service manual that tells you to remove the entire rear sub-frame and its components to get to it.....it's not necessary and too labor intensive at about 10-hours!

sam430 (10-18-18)
Old 04-16-19, 10:06 AM
protocol71
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

No pictures are available because they were installed by a mechanic at a shop.

There is no real secret to the installation. The sub-frame in the rear just needs to be lowered several inches to snake in the rear bar.. which goes on top of the rear suspension and its components. Just don't go with the service manual that tells you to remove the entire rear sub-frame and its components to get to it.....it's not necessary and too labor intensive at about 10-hours!
So you did an alignment after dropping the subframe a few inches?
Old 04-16-19, 10:42 AM
azipod
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by protocol71
So you did an alignment after dropping the subframe a few inches?
I did not since it did not involve "adjustable" parts like toe, camber, etc. But I can understand why someone may want to.
Old 09-25-19, 07:35 AM
RichardB23
Pole Position

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Is there an update to this thread? did anyone every find a reliable sway bar that worked well? Im in a 2015 F-sport RWD.

Quick Reply: Rear Sway Bar