Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

GS350 or GS350 F SPORT

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-14, 01:09 PM
d3r3k281
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS350 or GS350 F SPORT

Trading in the BMW to get mine first Lexus pretty soon. I know the F SPORT comes with different suspensions, front bumper and wheels. I do plan on dropping the car with coil overs or air suspension with aftermarket struts, new 20" wheels, and it seems like you can find the F SPORT bumper online and get it painted at a local body shop. So I'm guessing is no reason for me to get the F SPORT? or the F SPORT has more to offer that I don't know about?

Last edited by d3r3k281; 06-28-14 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-28-14, 04:55 PM
HDEddie1
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by d3r3k281
Trading in the BMW to get mine first Lexus pretty soon. I know the F SPORT comes with different suspensions, front bumper and wheels. I do plan on dropping the car with coil overs or air suspension with aftermarket struts, new 20" wheels, and it seems like you can find the F SPORT bumper online and get it painted at a local body shop. So I'm guessing is no reason for me to get the F SPORT? or the F SPORT has more to offer that I don't know about?
Great Question! Hope others will comment.
I may be leaving BMW for the GS350 later this year and am wondering the same thing. What's known (from Lexus catalog) and my recent dealer visit is this:
1) Adjustable suspensions dampeners standard in F Sport with “sport tune”. While the adjustable suspension dampeners are optional in the non-F Sport, no mention by Lexus if they are also “sport tuned”.
2) Larger front brakes.
3) Performance (summer) 19” staggered width tires mounted on F Sport specific 19” rims.
4) F Sport specific front seats (adjustable side bolsters) and perforated leather steering wheel (not part shiny wood) with pronounced indents on steering wheel at 9 and 3 o’clock positions.
5) Metal foot rest and pedals. Striated aluminum trim (not wood) on door/console/dash.
6) Cabernet (wine colored) leather color choice exclusive to F Sport.
7) F Sport front facia and F Sport badging on fenders.

For me, 1, 2, 4, are reasons enough to go with F sport. While I intend to drop the car modestly and up size the wheels, I wouldn't want to sacrifice the "sport tuned" suspension feature with the stock F sport dampeners. I currently have adjustable dampeners on my BMW and I think that's one of the car's better features. But, I understand if your going huge on the drop, then coil overs/air suspension is a must and factory adjustable dampeners are of no use. The F Sport larger (14") brakes are good enough for me since I won't be tracking nor want to spend for Brembo. The F sport seats and steering wheel are a tad different (sportier) than a non-F Sport but adjustable side bolsters (like on BMW) are really cool for me.
On the cosmetic side, #5 is nice and the striated trim actually works well in this car (no more wood to scratch).
Cabernet leather? See it in person .
Regarding the F Sport Facia, I can't see any reason why someone would retro fit one if they can get it from the factory. Retrofits always seen to need extra parts (in the case of F Sport, you'll need brake ducting, fog light bezel, etc) and you can only hope the body shop can color match and clear coat you 100%.

BTW: You may find it much easier to sell your stock F Sport rims/tires on this forum instead of the stock 18" Luxury rims.

Last edited by HDEddie1; 06-28-14 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-28-14, 07:06 PM
gotink
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is Some what true,most of the perfomance additions you mention are for the RWD model only ..you also left out RDS and 8speed tranny ..the AWD Is mainly just cosmetic and 6speed tranny ,does not have the big brakes, staggered wheels or RDS ....
Old 07-22-14, 08:10 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I find the stock brakes on the AWD work fantastic. I'm assuming the larger ones would just reduce brake fade if you are tracking the car.

#4 My AWD / Nav has the all leather steering wheel with indents at 9 and 3. No woodgrain here.
#6 the red is very nice, but i also love the tan in my GS. The interiors are beautiful in these cars. I love it especially at night with the accent lighting.

Since you are swapping out the suspension and wheels, leaving the AVS useless, you really need to ask yourself: is it worth the price difference for the bumper, seats and some badges (and brakes, but stock are already very good)