Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Lowering a 3GS vs 4GS awd

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-14, 07:21 AM
Tip773
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering a 3GS vs 4GS awd

Hi guys,

Like every other 3GS awd owner I have been looking into dropping my car. I have a 20 inch wheel setup order pending and will not push the order thru unless I can feel comfortable dropping the car.

I have read countless threads regarding dropping a 3GS awd model. Viewed some positive feedback but even more negative. The census if anyone here hasn't read thru the countless threads is that dropping an awd model is much different the dropping a rwd model. The front suspension is much different. Because of the positioning of the cv joints on the 3GS awd models dropping the vehicle puts pressure on the lower part of the suspension (forgive me for I am not the most technical person) causing either wobbling and in some cases vibration.

On my 3GS awd I was planning on purchasing a set of F sport springs. From my understanding Lexus has finally released an awd version even though from what I read the springs for rwd and awd are the same. The difference is the actual struts. I also considered the RCA front and rear blocks. I typically run coilovers on my cars but do not want to on my Lexus because it will take away from the comfort and luxuries of owning a Lexus.

Lexus offers a 4GS F sport awd model since 2013. I have seen a few threads where owners have dropped the vehicle using RSR or Tanabe springs. Not one has complained about wobbling or vibration. I am assuming the positioning of the cv joints on the 4GS awd models must be the same as the 3GS awd models??? If I am wrong please correct me.

My question is has anyone experimented with the F sport awd springs? I'm hoping Lexus has addressed the wobbling and vibrating concerns because there is a 4GS F sport awd model in production which is obviously equipped with F sport suspension components.

I know this topic has been discussed to death and people have been diligently working on a solution for us awd owners. But with the release of the 4GS f sport awd model last year I'm hoping there are new developments. I really want to purchase some wheels but will not do so unless I can drop the car without jeopardizing the ride of a Lexus, especially wobbling or vibration .

I've PMed a few 3GS awd owners that were running either F sport lowering springs or RCA blocks but haven't received any responses. I'm assuming they are no longer 3GS owners and no longer participating on the forums.

Thanks guys for sharing your knowledge and experience,
--Imran

Last edited by Tip773; 02-02-14 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-02-14, 09:18 AM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

I have a rwd 3G with the f-sport springs and I can tell you if you're worried about losing your lexus luxury ride, stay away from them. They're too stiff for my taste. I'm sure they handle better and would perform better on the track, but my car is a family car that transports my wife and kid.

I'm also still waiting on my springs to settle. I did not get the 1" drop as advertised.
Old 02-02-14, 09:45 AM
Tip773
Driver School Candidate

I understand the f sport springs do make the ride stiffer compared to factory spec. Adding the 20 inch wheel setup I plan on will not help either. I am used to coilover suspension so the stiffness the f sport springs will add is nothing in comparison. I actually do want the suspension to be a little stiffer than factory. The factory suspension for non-f sport models feels very boat like to me. Way too much body roll for my taste.

I am a little concerned with the fact that your claiming the drop was not as advertised.

Thank you for that info.
--Imran

Last edited by Tip773; 02-02-14 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-02-14, 12:09 PM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

I'm still patiently waiting for them to settle. I'm not sure how long this could take. I've got a couple hundred miles on them and would like to get an alignment soon.

If it helps, here are my measurements:
Front 27" from ground to fender(metal, not plastic). 245/35/20
Rear 27 1/4" from ground to fender(metal) 275/30/20
Old 02-02-14, 12:52 PM
Tip773
Driver School Candidate

I know for a stock awd 3GS the stock front ride height fluctuates between 27.75" and 28.25".

You are correct to assume your car didn't drop as advertised seeing as the stock rwd 3GS fronts are already noticeable lower than awd models. You should be reading 26.xx" after the drop.

I've heard it takes roughly 1,000 miles for the springs to fully settle, but that's hear say.

I don't have specifics on the rear unfortunately.

--Imran
Old 02-03-14, 02:10 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

fsport is a very mild drop, i dont think you will have an issue but then again keep in mind its all subjective to the person. one person may feel the wobble/vibration where as another may not. long story short though, the smaller the drop, the less chance of experiencing the issues and the fsport spring is a very mild drop so im pretty sure you will be ok
Old 02-03-14, 06:36 AM
Tip773
Driver School Candidate

That's what I've heard regarding the lesser the drop the less likelihood of feeling wobble/vibration.

When u say subjective, are you saying depending on a persons tolerance of said wobble/vibration? I would have a positive mindset dropping the car but if it wobble/vibrates I'm sure I will notice and I know I will be bothered by it. Why is this so complicated for awd models.

Thanks for your input though,
--Imran
Old 02-03-14, 07:12 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tip773
That's what I've heard regarding the lesser the drop the less likelihood of feeling wobble/vibration.

When u say subjective, are you saying depending on a persons tolerance of said wobble/vibration? I would have a positive mindset dropping the car but if it wobble/vibrates I'm sure I will notice and I know I will be bothered by it. Why is this so complicated for awd models.

Thanks for your input though,
--Imran
yes along those lines. you might feel it worse than someone else even though its probably the same.

it vibrates just because the way it is designed
Old 02-03-14, 08:30 AM
Schmexus
Lead Lap

My guess is because of the cv angles in the front.
Old 02-03-14, 08:43 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Schmexus
My guess is because of the cv angles in the front.
when its lowered, yes it stretches the axle and puts the cv joints at an angle
Old 02-03-14, 09:03 AM
Tip773
Driver School Candidate

IXI187IXI,

In your sig looks like you were running coils on your setup. Did you experience the wobble/vibration issue? If so, how noticeable was it?

--Imran
Old 02-03-14, 09:18 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

yea my sig is the stock car but i was running coils and i was pretty low (tucking all 4 tires) and yes it wobbled/vibrated. i had a spacer machine for me to help eliminate most of the issues. you can read a lot more about it in this thread
Old 02-03-14, 09:45 AM
Tip773
Driver School Candidate

I remember seeing this thread in my many searches. I heard someone screwed up their VSC system from possibly not centering the spacer correctly. Def don't want to risk causing damage that will cost me an arm and a leg to fix. I also noticed comments about speed sensor being damaged also.

--Imran
Old 02-03-14, 11:47 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tip773
I remember seeing this thread in my many searches. I heard someone screwed up their VSC system from possibly not centering the spacer correctly. Def don't want to risk causing damage that will cost me an arm and a leg to fix. I also noticed comments about speed sensor being damaged also.

--Imran
that was me as well, $400 lesson learned but its all described in that thread. its pretty easy to do (the install part) and i gave tips on how to help prevent any issues.
Old 02-03-14, 01:28 PM
Tip773
Driver School Candidate

If it comes down to experimenting with the spacers I will definitely be in contact and of course looking at the thread for tips to prevent issues.

--Imran

Quick Reply: Lowering a 3GS vs 4GS awd