Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Lowered GS350 Lux with RS*R Down Springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-13, 03:16 PM
jscgs350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lowered GS350 Lux with RS*R Down Springs

I do wish I could have done this myself (separate thread), but in the long run I feel better knowing the dealer did it and it was done 100% correct, along with an alignment afterwards. While I was at it, I also installed V-LED's H11 fog bulbs. Weather has been crappy, so my car is filthy dirty, sorry.

Pic (before/after):

Front:
Lowered GS350 Lux with RS*R Down Springs-front.jpg

Rear
Lowered GS350 Lux with RS*R Down Springs-rear.jpg

Side, Before
Lowered GS350 Lux with RS*R Down Springs-side_before.jpg

Side, After
Lowered GS350 Lux with RS*R Down Springs-side_after.jpg

LED Fogs (5K WHITE 10 LED H11 from V-LEDS)
Lowered GS350 Lux with RS*R Down Springs-vleds_h11_fogs.jpg
Old 05-02-13, 04:25 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

Car looks good, but to be honest from the pictures it looks like only the front was dropped, surprised you didnt go with the super down springs
Old 05-02-13, 06:12 PM
jscgs350
Driver

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
Car looks good, but to be honest from the pictures it looks like only the front was dropped, surprised you didnt go with the super down springs
I was looking for just an inch drop. The other springs were too much for me, plus is seems like people are having trouble getting back to alignment specs.

Pictures can be deceiving, but the rear saw a decent drop. Before/after measurements are around an inch, and I expect settling to happen for a while.
The following users liked this post:
3stars1sun (04-16-19)
Old 05-02-13, 07:03 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it looks better. The gap looks more "uniform" around the fender opening rather than more gap only at the top.

Alignment is a big issue for me as well.
Old 05-03-13, 03:34 AM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

It looks good , I think who ever went lower than that , the ride got very stiff and the the alignment was not done.
Old 05-03-13, 04:29 AM
jscgs350
Driver

Originally Posted by terrycs
I think it looks better. The gap looks more "uniform" around the fender opening rather than more gap only at the top.

Alignment is a big issue for me as well.
I agree, and that's what I was trying to accomplish, while at the same time not screwing up the alignment to the point where I needed aftermarket stuff to bring it back to spec. That gap was driving me nuts. In my opinion, this is how it should look from the factory, or at least something else to close that gap.

I had 17k miles on my car when these springs went on, so here are some first impressions and observations:
  • Very close to stock firmness, but noticeable. I always thought the base/premium GS w/out Sport+ was firmer than the lux packages, so to me it now almost feels similar. It isn't as spongy as stock, but the lux feel is still there when just cruising on the highway. You most certainly can tell a difference when using Sport+ mode, and it's nice.
  • Slightly more road noise, very slight, but nothing to be concerned about. Perhaps this could be related to the shorter springs and how they're designed compared to stock, or it could just be me being more aware.
  • It's really nice and tight in the turns now, like entrance/exit ramps. Feels more planted to the road. I can't wait to go through North Carolina's mountains on my way to Knoxville, TN. Driving will be a little more fun now (always has been though).
  • Headlamps adjust perfectly, no need to tweak with anything. I always notice how my headlights would adjust up/down and left/right, but this time they made one more slight adjustment. I always park in the same spot in the morning at my health club, so when I saw the lights "tick" UP a notch I was surprised. I never saw that before until now. The sequence would always be like a smooth "S" pattern as they adjusted and then stop, except this time after they stopped it then adjusted up just a little.
  • Overall impression - I'm very happy how this turned out. It's not too low, the lip edge can still clear most parking blocks I tried yesterday, no rubbing or scraping over speed bumps, and I think this setup compliments the GS well. I can't provide a comparison to Swift, or other springs folks have tried, and of course the F-Sport springs don't exist yet (Sewell even removed it from their accessories site).
Old 05-03-13, 04:35 AM
jscgs350
Driver

Originally Posted by mrpartsman
It looks good , I think who ever went lower than that , the ride got very stiff and the the alignment was not done.
Thanks mrpartsman, I appreciate your comment. I agree, I wouldn't want to go any lower. I did that to my G35 in 2004, and I won't do it again.
Old 05-03-13, 09:14 AM
terrycs
Instructor

It could be your imagination, but auto leveling headlights usually adjust down when the car is lowered.
Old 05-03-13, 12:24 PM
jscgs350
Driver

It could be your imagination, but auto leveling headlights usually adjust down when the car is lowered.
Nope, I really saw it this morning. Definitely saw it adjust up. I'm not going back until Monday, so I'll have to take a short video with my phone. If I'm out tonight I'll pay close attention.
Old 05-03-13, 02:23 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Originally Posted by jscgs350
Nope, I really saw it this morning. Definitely saw it adjust up. I'm not going back until Monday, so I'll have to take a short video with my phone. If I'm out tonight I'll pay close attention.
I think I understand the confusion .. the headlights will point down, then up during the startup sequence. It's where the headlights end up after the startup sequence that is in question.

When the trunk is loaded up (or if the car is lowered), the final aimpoint of the headlights are adjusted down to compensate for the lowered trunk.

The only way to tell if the aimpopint is really changed is to view the headlights against a wall BEFORE the car was lowered and compare to the aimpoints AFTER the car was lowered.
Old 05-03-13, 02:44 PM
jscgs350
Driver

I think I understand the confusion .. the headlights will point down, then up during the startup sequence. It's where the headlights end up after the startup sequence that is in question.

When the trunk is loaded up (or if the car is lowered), the final aimpoint of the headlights are adjusted down to compensate for the lowered trunk.

The only way to tell if the aimpopint is really changed is to view the headlights against a wall BEFORE the car was lowered and compare to the aimpoints AFTER the car was lowered.
Yeah, I wish I would have thought of capturing that before/after info.
Old 05-04-13, 08:16 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Looks great. How did it (and the 19) affect the ride? Is this your LEDs? They look great. Do they look matched to the head light in person? I see that they also have 6K and wonder which one would match better. Thanks.
Old 05-04-13, 04:44 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks good, you'll have to post pics when the sun is out. I really like those FSPORT wheels with the NG. If you don't mind... How much did Lexus charge for the spring install?
Old 05-04-13, 05:46 PM
jscgs350
Driver

Originally Posted by bnlexus
Looks great. How did it (and the 19) affect the ride? Is this your LEDs? They look great. Do they look matched to the head light in person? I see that they also have 6K and wonder which one would match better. Thanks.
Thanks! The 19's hardly had any impact to the ride at all. In fact, the Continental tires made the rider smother and quieter that the stock Mich's.

Yep, those are the LEDs I installed. Nice and simple little upgrade. They match very nice in person as it does in the picture. They match perfectly, and I really like them a lot. I think the 6k's won't match as well. There's a thread on these bulbs somewhere on CL.
Old 05-04-13, 06:04 PM
jscgs350
Driver

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
Looks good, you'll have to post pics when the sun is out. I really like those FSPORT wheels with the NG. If you don't mind... How much did Lexus charge for the spring install?
Hi Syd, nice upgrade to the LS btw. Saw one while I was waiting, and man is that a nice car.

I don't mind sharing costs, but it drives me crazy I didn't do this myself. If I would have done my homework right, and had patience, I could have done this. Between the voice in my head saying I shouldn't be tinkering with a 60k car's suspension, and the wife wondering if my insurance policy was paid up, opting for the dealer to do it was right. All in, including alignment, labor, tax, etc and eating the freebies in the waiting area - just over $630.

I will take those pics soon. The sun can't stay away too long. The weather around here should be sunny soon. Sucks again today.

Quick Reply: Lowered GS350 Lux with RS*R Down Springs