Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Anyone attempting to install RS*R springs on your own?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-13, 12:36 PM
jscgs350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone attempting to install RS*R springs on your own?

I got my springs delivered, and attempted today to install at least the rear springs. I've done my 2003 G35 sedan and other cars at home before, but the GS350 set up is a whole lot different.

I referenced Sewell's site for drawings, and CL for a great writeup from Edmond's on our suspension, but I still couldn't get a rear spring off without removing anything major (or all of the darn arms), or putting myself or the car at risk of injury. The front's look straight forward, but the rears have me puzzled.

Has anyone installed springs on the GS350 that can provide any tips for safe removal? I won't hesitate to let pros do the job, but I love working on my own cars, so I'd like to at least try this myself at home first (I do have all the right tools).

Thanks for any help!
Old 04-30-13, 12:48 PM
e39ng
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jscgs350
I got my springs delivered, and attempted today to install at least the rear springs. I've done my 2003 G35 sedan and other cars at home before, but the GS350 set up is a whole lot different.

I referenced Sewell's site for drawings, and CL for a great writeup from Edmond's on our suspension, but I still couldn't get a rear spring off without removing anything major (or all of the darn arms), or putting myself or the car at risk of injury. The front's look straight forward, but the rears have me puzzled.

Has anyone installed springs on the GS350 that can provide any tips for safe removal? I won't hesitate to let pros do the job, but I love working on my own cars, so I'd like to at least try this myself at home first (I do have all the right tools).

Thanks for any help!
Check your PM...
Old 04-30-13, 02:31 PM
jscgs350
Driver

Originally Posted by e39ng
Check your PM...
Thanks again. I just subscribed to Techinfo, it was exactly what I needed. I can't believe I didn't think about that before starting.
Old 04-30-13, 03:57 PM
bentleymp2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone fill me in please!! Thanks you!
Old 04-30-13, 04:11 PM
jscgs350
Driver

Originally Posted by bentleymp2
Someone fill me in please!! Thanks you!
It's where you can get online manuals for our cars : http://techinfo.toyota.com

Subscriptions can be for only 2 days for $15, or a whole year ($$$). Everything I really needed to know to get started was in the repair manual. Super helpful.

Turns out I was 1 bolt away from getting the rear spring out correctly and safely. Now I have to wait until Thursday, but by the end of the day my RS*R's will be installed. Front's will be quite easy.
Old 04-30-13, 04:19 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

pretty sure theres a DIY sitting around somewhere here on the forums
Old 04-30-13, 07:34 PM
Allb18c
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Could you give us a quick rundown on the process to get the rear springs out?

Thanks
Old 05-01-13, 04:11 AM
jscgs350
Driver

Originally Posted by Allb18c
Could you give us a quick rundown on the process to get the rear springs out?

Thanks
*** Corrected Post and Attachment *** The attachment was updated to have the arrow point to the correct bolt. Sorry about that.

It really isn't too bad if you have the right tools and take your time. Reference the attached picture. The rear should be as easy as 1. unbolting the lower shock mount, 2. unbolting the lower sway bar mount, and 3. unbolting the rear lower suspension arm bolt (supported by another floor jack because that's what holds the coil spring). Lowering the jack will release the compression on the spring and it will come right out.

I highly recommend two floor jacks, but one will work too as long as the car is securely supported on jack stands so you can use the floor jack to lift suspension parts for removal/unbolting, etc.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone attempting to install RS*R springs on your own?-lower_bolts_to_remove.jpg  

Last edited by jscgs350; 05-02-13 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Corrected to reflect the right bolts to remove.
Old 05-01-13, 05:40 AM
Allb18c
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I plan on creating a short video, and/or pics on Thursday. That's the soonest I'll be able to get to this. Once all done I'll post a thread.

It really isn't too bad if you have the right tools and take your time. Reference the attached picture. The rear should be as easy as 1. unbolting the lower shock mount, 2. unbolting the lower sway bar mount, and 3. unbolting the rear lower suspension arm bolt (supported by another floor jack because that's what holds the coil spring). Lowering the jack will release the compression on the spring and it will come right out.

I highly recommend two floor jacks, but one will work too as long as the car is securely supported on jack stands so you can use the floor jack to lift suspension parts for removal/unbolting, etc.
That picture you provided says it all. Thank you.
Old 05-01-13, 11:33 AM
timerbob
Rookie

I plan on creating a short video, and/or pics on Thursday. That's the soonest I'll be able to get to this. Once all done I'll post a thread.

Very informative! Thanks!
Old 05-02-13, 10:54 AM
jscgs350
Driver

Default Bolt #3 is a killer...

Ok, well I gave up, and here I sit at the dealership waiting for the install and alignment and posting this via my iPad...

In the picture above, bolt #3 is a lot harder than I ever thought it would be to remove. Instead of doing anything stupid and unsafe, I decided to pay the pros.

I'll post before/after pictures when I get home later today. I got the regular RS*R Down Springs, which drop the car an inch.

Oh well, back to the trial coverage on HLN that everyone else here is glued to watching...there is a gorgeous 2013 LS F-Sport on the lot I get to stare at at least. White, loaded, and around $87k! There are a few GS's too, including 2 F Sports with rear steering.
Old 05-02-13, 02:08 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone have a PDF of the procedure?

I don't think removing bolt 3 is correct. I would have taken off the outboard bolt on the left of bolt 1 after I raised the arm a little with a floor jack.

Removing bolt 3 seems scary because you can't tell when it is properly "unloaded" by a floor jack.

In any case, please post up pictures after the springs are installed. I'd like to see a good side shot showing what wheel to fender gap is left.

Last edited by terrycs; 05-02-13 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-02-13, 02:44 PM
jscgs350
Driver

Originally Posted by terrycs
Does anyone have a PDF of the procedure?

I don't think removing bold 3 is correct. I would have taken off the outboard bolt on the left of bolt 1 after I raised the arm a little with a floor jack.

Removing bolt 3 seems scary because you can't tell when it is properly "unloaded" by a floor jack.

In any case, please post up pictures after the springs are installed. I'd like to see a good side shot showing what wheel to fender gap is left.
Yes, you are correct, and I should have corrected that post. I'll do that shortly. Here's a screenshot from the TIS repair manual. I had 2 floor jacks, but I still didn't feel comfortable removing that bolt (ref: corrected post above). It looks straight forward, but there's a lot more going on with links and arms than what I was normally use to working with. Instead of not doing it right, it was just easier to call the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone attempting to install RS*R springs on your own?-rear_lower_arm.jpg  

Last edited by jscgs350; 05-02-13 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Added image andmore comments.