Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

non awd, wheel wobble all of a sudden

Old 04-29-13, 08:28 AM
hellofello
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default non awd, wheel wobble all of a sudden

My 06 gs430 started getting a ride wobble.all f a sudden. I've checked eberything, tires and wheels all seem fine. Any suggestions? Could it be the shock going bad, currently have 80k on the ride. Thanks.
Old 04-29-13, 09:12 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

Have you checked the trueness of your wheels? Take it to a tire shop and have them spin it on a balancer, and stand to the side you should be able to tell if the rim is not bent or warped.
Old 04-29-13, 10:17 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

oem wheels or aftermarket?

either or it could be a bad wheel balance or flat spot in the tire if the car sat for too long.
Old 04-29-13, 10:46 AM
hellofello
Driver School Candidate

No I haven't, but I haven't had any major impact to either of the front wheels within the last week, and the front ride wobble really just started showing up out of nowhere. I noticed it right away when me and my girl left the restaurant that we had dinner at. I don't think it's a shock going bad, as that would give more of floating or bouncing ride, instead of what I'm feeling. It's more of a wobble or vibration that I'm getting, and only seems to be on the front end.
Old 04-29-13, 10:49 AM
hellofello
Driver School Candidate

It's the same aftermarket wheel that I've had on for nearly a year, and I drive my car daily.
Old 04-29-13, 12:33 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hellofello
It's the same aftermarket wheel that I've had on for nearly a year, and I drive my car daily.
do you have hub rings?
Old 04-29-13, 03:49 PM
hellofello
Driver School Candidate

Don't know for sure, but pretty sure that if it's a wheel hub issue, I'd notice the wobble long before. Like I've said I've had the same wheels, tires and tanabe nf setup for nearly a year, if it's a hub fitment issue, shouldn't I notice it from the get go? Checked tire pressure, and tires have the proper pressure in them.
Just thinking to myself, most of the vibration and wobble seems to be coming from the front passenger side. Have anyone heard of the module that controls the switching between sport mode to normal suspension to fail on one strut? The reason I ask is that because it feels like the stiffness/and bounciness is coming from just front passenger, maybe that strut is stuck in sport mode?
Old 04-29-13, 06:13 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

First things first start with the easy stuff. Take your car to a tire alignment shop and tell them I have a wobble in the front passenger.

1: Have them spin the wheel to see if it is straight
2: Inspect the tire, it may have a bubble or some sort of deform
3: Check tie rods, and ball joints

A blown strut shouldnt give you a whobble but more of a springing front end
Old 04-30-13, 03:25 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hellofello
Don't know for sure, but pretty sure that if it's a wheel hub issue, I'd notice the wobble long before. Like I've said I've had the same wheels, tires and tanabe nf setup for nearly a year, if it's a hub fitment issue, shouldn't I notice it from the get go? Checked tire pressure, and tires have the proper pressure in them.
Just thinking to myself, most of the vibration and wobble seems to be coming from the front passenger side. Have anyone heard of the module that controls the switching between sport mode to normal suspension to fail on one strut? The reason I ask is that because it feels like the stiffness/and bounciness is coming from just front passenger, maybe that strut is stuck in sport mode?
you never know. its not a strut issue i can tell you that.

if you dont have hub rings then your wheels are lug centric and all the weight of your car is now on your lugs and not your hub. i would take the wheel off to see if you have hub rings. it could be that you have fractured a few studs on that wheel or maybe if you have had service done recently, the lugs are not tight.

Last edited by IXI187IXI; 04-30-13 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-30-13, 08:17 AM
3gs350awd
Driver

Just a quick question. Where do I go get hub rings.
Old 04-30-13, 09:01 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 3gs350awd
Just a quick question. Where do I go get hub rings.
When you take off an aftermarket wheel, most wheel companies make there center a lot larger to allow different cars to fit that wheel. When buying aftermarket the shop should order the correct size hubcentric rings. The inner should be Lexus GS size, the outer should be the wheel manufactors size.

If you take off your rim and see on the inside bolt pattern in the center you should see a big hole/opening. That hole should fit snuggly onto your car, if there is space then most likely you will need spacers.

Most wheel shops sell them anywhere from 10-80 bucks depending if its plastic or aluminum, they both work great at centering your wheel out.

I found a video on youtube

Old 04-30-13, 09:06 AM
eLMeRoKs
Driver School Candidate

Default "Hub Centric Rings"

I had the same problem last week- I installed aftermarket oversized (20 inch) wheels, they didn't come with "HCR's"...
I immediately noticed wobble in my steering wheel. You could easily mistake this for "out of balance" vibration.
I searched ebay for "HCR's" and found my size; Inside diameter for GS is 60.1, my wheels had an outside diameter of 74.1 (Your's may be different) and I bought the rings. Got them yesterday- installed and tested, WOBBLE IS NOW ABSENT...

This will be the cheapest fix ($8 w/ free 3 day shipping)- so you may want to start here!
Old 04-30-13, 09:24 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

if you get hub rings, get the plastic ones. you dont want the metal ones to get rusted on the hub. also when switching back to oem wheels, take the hub rings off (double check because sometimes they get stuck to the hub)
Old 04-30-13, 01:03 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by eLMeRoKs
http://youtu.be/D3dl3XTl3FY

I had the same problem last week- I installed aftermarket oversized (20 inch) wheels, they didn't come with "HCR's"...
I immediately noticed wobble in my steering wheel. You could easily mistake this for "out of balance" vibration.
I searched ebay for "HCR's" and found my size; Inside diameter for GS is 60.1, my wheels had an outside diameter of 74.1 (Your's may be different) and I bought the rings. Got them yesterday- installed and tested, WOBBLE IS NOW ABSENT...

This will be the cheapest fix ($8 w/ free 3 day shipping)- so you may want to start here!
Too slow posting that vid rookie
Old 04-30-13, 02:57 PM
3gs350awd
Driver

Post link on where u got it. Please. I need some too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: non awd, wheel wobble all of a sudden