Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-12, 05:30 PM
burton06
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks

I am looking to replace my shocks. Ideally, I'd like to put some stechs on them as well. I'd like shocks that are close to stock comfort as possible. Any recommendations on why kind of shocks I should get?

My current oem shocks arnt dead yet, but I think soon. It has about 84k. I don't want to have to change them later if I'm gonna put springs on now. What do you think?

I have an 06 GS. Thanks
Old 06-02-12, 09:38 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

you're probably already due for a strut change, you just don't realize it because our cars are soo comfy! (No i'm not lying.... 3 of my 4 failed shocks failed, and the ONLY ONLY reason how I knew is because my tire guy said my tires were chopping really bad LOL!)

BCR Coilovers, someone in one of the suspension threads below is a vendor, check out the below threads, it runs extremely close to OEM, and the struts are adjustable, alongside that, your height is always adjustable, you can slam it, raise it, or do as you please.
Old 07-14-12, 05:28 PM
roland89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you have awd or rwd I got tein for mine
Old 07-14-12, 06:32 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
....3 of my 4 failed shocks failed.....
Yep, failed shocks have a habit of failing!

Old 07-14-12, 07:03 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do you think your shocks are all but gone?
Just because they've 84K miles on them doesn't mean they're ready for the scrap heap.
I know the done thing in the US, it seems, is to put on $800 coilovers, and lower the crap out of the car - but as I've pointed out many times in previous threads, it's bloody stupid unless you only drive on billiard table smooth roads.

Here's how suspension works:
Car hits road imperfections, suspension absorbs the impact by compressing/elongating, then returning to equilibrium.
The travel in the shocks, along with spring rate, governs how much of the bump you feel.
The greater the travel, the softer the spring, the more cushioning you'll receive.
Conversely, the shorter the stroke, the firmer the spring needs to be, hence you feel more of the road beneath you.

Now, when you start paying proper money for suspension, you get helper springs, which as the name suggests, helps cushion some of the minor imperfections, and once overcome by being fully compressed, the main spring takes over.
It's a two-stage approach, and with compression and rebound adjustment, you can really dial in the suspension for the given ride height.

Tein has made a name for themselves, but I don't really rate their springs - if you want to drop the car a bit, then go with the F-Sport springs and shocks, or stick with the current shocks and throw on the F-Sport springs or Swift ones.
In fact, bar Ohlins, Aragosta, Maxton, and one or two others, most brand name coilovers are fairly generic off-the-shelf with minor differences between them - but then that's the reason you don't pay $2500+ for them, like you do with the ones mentioned.

If you want stock, then you buy stock - even the F-Sport setup won't feel as cushiony, but won't be jarring except on the larger imperfections, which if you're watching were you're going, you'll try to avoid.
Any notion of dropping the 2" or more, and retaining anything like a stock feel, is fantasy, on all bar the high end systems.
That's the compromise you make - you can't have your cake and eat it.

So, for the $1K you'll spend on run-of-the-mill coilovers, I'd steer you instead toward the F-Sport pairing, or just go with the springs for now, and when/if the shocks give up the ghost, then decide if you want F-Sport replacements or one of the cheaper coilovers.
You'll still get a few $$ back on the springs if you opt for coilovers, on here or eBay.

If you go F-Sport, make sure to get your member discount from Sewell Lexus, whom are a vendor here.
Old 07-14-12, 09:15 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Boron
Yep, failed shocks have a habit of failing!

LOL! omg i can't believe you caught my typo! How silly of me. (still not changing it though lol, too lazy).

Originally Posted by Boron
Why do you think your shocks are all but gone?
Just because they've 84K miles on them doesn't mean they're ready for the scrap heap.
I know the done thing in the US, it seems, is to put on $800 coilovers, and lower the crap out of the car - but as I've pointed out many times in previous threads, it's bloody stupid unless you only drive on billiard table smooth roads.

Here's how suspension works:
Car hits road imperfections, suspension absorbs the impact by compressing/elongating, then returning to equilibrium.
The travel in the shocks, along with spring rate, governs how much of the bump you feel.
The greater the travel, the softer the spring, the more cushioning you'll receive.
Conversely, the shorter the stroke, the firmer the spring needs to be, hence you feel more of the road beneath you.

Now, when you start paying proper money for suspension, you get helper springs, which as the name suggests, helps cushion some of the minor imperfections, and once overcome by being fully compressed, the main spring takes over.
It's a two-stage approach, and with compression and rebound adjustment, you can really dial in the suspension for the given ride height.

Tein has made a name for themselves, but I don't really rate their springs - if you want to drop the car a bit, then go with the F-Sport springs and shocks, or stick with the current shocks and throw on the F-Sport springs or Swift ones.
In fact, bar Ohlins, Aragosta, Maxton, and one or two others, most brand name coilovers are fairly generic off-the-shelf with minor differences between them - but then that's the reason you don't pay $2500+ for them, like you do with the ones mentioned.

If you want stock, then you buy stock - even the F-Sport setup won't feel as cushiony, but won't be jarring except on the larger imperfections, which if you're watching were you're going, you'll try to avoid.
Any notion of dropping the 2" or more, and retaining anything like a stock feel, is fantasy, on all bar the high end systems.
That's the compromise you make - you can't have your cake and eat it.

So, for the $1K you'll spend on run-of-the-mill coilovers, I'd steer you instead toward the F-Sport pairing, or just go with the springs for now, and when/if the shocks give up the ghost, then decide if you want F-Sport replacements or one of the cheaper coilovers.
You'll still get a few $$ back on the springs if you opt for coilovers, on here or eBay.

If you go F-Sport, make sure to get your member discount from Sewell Lexus, whom are a vendor here.
I also agree with you about people who SLAM their car an inch or two from the ground, and driving off of that..... It's nonsense to drive like that and just dangerous when they're going .2mph just to get over a itty bitty railroad bump.

It's people's opinions on what they want and how they want their cars though, you can't stop'em

Reason why I reccomend coilovers is because of the adjustability and durability over O.E. struts. Especially BCR and how well they perform for the price you pay.