Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

AWD Wobble/Vibration Solution - Testers Needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-14, 10:14 AM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Skylar978
This thread makes me wanna spend more money and get bags, or trade in the car and forget about it..

Has anyone actually needed to replace anything because of this wobble/vibration? Axles, joints, etc?...
Glad you brought this up. Two days ago my GS axles took a crap on me. I'm not even that low (about a finger gap in the front) but i noticed the wobbles got increasingly bad Monday on my way to work. On the way home it went from bad to I need to stop and pull over. My car felt like the whole front suspension was going to fall off. Luckily i was only a few miles from home. When I sped up, it went away, but when i let off the accelerator, it came back bad.

Going to take a look this weekend and see what the damage really is. Most likely I'll put the stock suspension on (been thinking of selling the car anyways). I think it's time to upgrade to a 4GS!

In any case, I think this does have a long term affect. I've been driving lowered on 20s for about 40k miles (give or take).

I'll keep everyone updated...
Old 03-09-14, 06:11 PM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kcook700

Glad you brought this up. Two days ago my GS axles took a crap on me. I'm not even that low (about a finger gap in the front) but i noticed the wobbles got increasingly bad Monday on my way to work. On the way home it went from bad to I need to stop and pull over. My car felt like the whole front suspension was going to fall off. Luckily i was only a few miles from home. When I sped up, it went away, but when i let off the accelerator, it came back bad.

Going to take a look this weekend and see what the damage really is. Most likely I'll put the stock suspension on (been thinking of selling the car anyways). I think it's time to upgrade to a 4GS!

In any case, I think this does have a long term affect. I've been driving lowered on 20s for about 40k miles (give or take).

I'll keep everyone updated...
Very sad to hear, but glad you are ok!

I would be interested to know where you end up sourcing your axles from as I am aware eventually I would need to replace mine..
Old 03-10-14, 03:24 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

sewell lexus as you get a CL member discount or mylexparts.com
Old 03-12-14, 11:52 AM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Skylar978
Very sad to hear, but glad you are ok!

I would be interested to know where you end up sourcing your axles from as I am aware eventually I would need to replace mine..
Ended up not needing axles. I think I corrected the problem before any permanent damage was done. I will say that the axles may need to be replaced in the future because of the car being lowered for a long period, but it is unknown for sure. For now, I can drive the car without any issues. There is an excessive amount of axle grease on my sub frame and suspension on both sides and the axles click occasionally when I make a sharp turns (which I could rebuild and add grease if I really wanted to), but other than that everything is normal.

Last edited by Kcook700; 03-12-14 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-12-14, 01:23 PM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Ended up not needing axles. I think I corrected the problem before any permanent damage was done. I will say that the axles may need to be replaced in the future because of the car being lowered for a long period, but it is unknown for sure. For now, I can drive the car without any issues. There is an excessive amount of axle grease on my sub frame and suspension on both sides and the axles click occasionally when I make a sharp turns (which I could rebuild and add grease if I really wanted to), but other than that everything is normal.
I asked about where you would be getting your axles cuz I too will need axles down the road as I am aware that being lowered, that comes with the territory.

I've realized from previous cars I've owned (all were lowered )that once you alter your suspension geometry substantially (or even minimally), you will need to replace other parts in the suspension eventually. The original equipment on I dare say most cars are not designed to be driven lowered. With the exception of only few high performance oriented vehicles I can think of, all cars are not designed to allow for aftermarket suspensions that lower the car to alter performance (or lack there of).

For us awd owners, it just happens to most likely be needed sooner than those rwd guys.

With that said, I like to prepare for when it happens cuz I know it will. Lol
Old 03-12-14, 01:27 PM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Didn't look too much into replacement axles, but with a few searches, I found that there were some on eBay for about $160, AutoZone for a bit over $100. If you are looking for oem, I would go with 187's suggestion of Sewell Lexus.
Old 03-16-14, 06:13 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Didn't look too much into replacement axles, but with a few searches, I found that there were some on eBay for about $160, AutoZone for a bit over $100. If you are looking for oem, I would go with 187's suggestion of Sewell Lexus.
That is more inexpensive than i thought for some reason.

Has anyone replaced their axles with autozone axles here?
Old 03-16-14, 06:39 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Btw 187, what did you end up trading the gs in for? An E55/63 does not sound too bad right now to me, but I really appreciate the low cost maintenance of my 3GS.

Luckily, I have not went in to a dealership to look yet. Cpo with low miles may be very hard to walk away from...
Old 03-17-14, 03:43 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

im just rocking my beater honda for now. bought a bike after the gs but that got stolen last summer. in the process of saving for a house so the car scene is currently on hold for the time being
Old 03-17-14, 01:12 PM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
im just rocking my beater honda for now. bought a bike after the gs but that got stolen last summer. in the process of saving for a house so the car scene is currently on hold for the time being
Is it modded? :-D
Old 03-17-14, 01:42 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

not with how high honda theft is in my area
Old 05-20-14, 11:42 AM
msequence
Rookie

Again. These do not really work well for AWD vehicles. Our system is very touchy. I have a custom machined set and did not solve the issue.
Old 05-21-14, 03:25 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

worked for me
Old 06-02-14, 04:24 PM
PhantomV
Rookie

Has anyone lowered their car with coilovers and RCA blocks? Did this help with the axle alignment wobble/vibrations?
Old 06-03-14, 06:50 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

RCA blocks will help because it will not thrown off the axle as it will move everything together

Quick Reply: AWD Wobble/Vibration Solution - Testers Needed