Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Major Issues After F-Sport Spring Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-10, 12:08 PM
bbetts00
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Issues After F-Sport Spring Install

Here's my setup: '06 GS300 RWD, 19 FiveAxis S6-F wheels w/FK452 245/35ZR19 tires. Wheels are 19x8 with a +40 offset, and they rode great on stock suspension. I recently installed the F-sport springs on the stock shocks and have been having lots of trouble with the car "bottoming out" when hitting even very small bumps, etc. I've driven a lowered car before, and this is not normal. It's not a fender rubbing issue, and there seems to be plenty of clearance in the wheel wells. I'm not sure how to tell if the springs are actually compressing enough to let the wheel hit the wheel well or if something else is going wrong mechanically. Lexus doesn't spec the F-Sport springs for the '06, but I installed them based on guidance from this forum. Now I'm looking for help! Might switch back to stock, but threw away the OE springs at the shop!
Old 09-22-10, 12:58 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

did you do the install yourself? did you cut the bump stop?
Old 09-22-10, 05:31 PM
bbetts00
Driver School Candidate

No, I didn't do the install myself. What is the bump stop? Should it have been cut? How do I tell?
Old 09-23-10, 04:20 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

a bump stop is what stops the struts/shocks from bottoming out when you hit a large bump. typically when using lowering springs and stock struts/shocks, the bump stop should be cut. the reason for cutting it is because it will allow for more travel in the strut/shock is the lowering spring compresses the strut/shock more. the bump stop is inside the dust boot/shield. its hard to really tell unless the dust boot/shield is not on strut/shock anymore.

this is what the dust boot/shield looks like along with the bump stop. the 2 black parts on each end is the dust boot/shield and the white parts are the bump stops

its hard to really explain why you need to cut it but i will give it a shot just using randoming numbers. lets say with the stock suspension you have 2" of travel between the bottom of the strut mount and the bump stop. when you put on lowering springs such as f sport which give you about an inch drop you now only have 1" of travel between the bottom of the strut mount and the bump stop. this can cause the bottoming out feeling since there isnt much room for the strut/shock to travel anymore. cutting say 1/2" off the bump stop will give you an extra 1/2" of travel giving the total distance between the bottom of the strut mount and bump stop now 1 1/2". again these are just random numbers but i hope that explantion helps a bit.

Last edited by IXI187IXI; 09-23-10 at 04:23 AM.
Old 09-23-10, 08:23 AM
bbetts00
Driver School Candidate

Makes a lot of sense! Thanks for the help. I'm taking the car to a new shop to help with this, and I'll talk to him about the bump stops. Sounds like that's exactly what could be going on. I need to get it on a lift anyway because the installer also put my ride height sensor back on upside down, so I have the "Flashing AFS Light" issue.
Old 09-23-10, 08:50 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

yea typically thats a common issue when using lowering springs. some places do not cut the bump stop. if the boot is still on, then you have to take everything apart to be able to tell which is a pita. that pic i posted is just a general picture. i dont know what the lexus bump stop looks like since i switched over to coils and no longer have bump stops.

the AFS is a simple fix, just swing the arm back up in the upright position.
Old 10-14-10, 05:22 PM
bbetts00
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, made it back into the shop, but still no dice in figuring out the problem. There's no sign of "bottoming out" on either the tires or the wheel well. We don't think that's what's actually going on. That would be odd anyway since we just dropped it 1" with the F-sport springs on stock shocks and 19's. After riding in the car, he first thought the nuts were loose on the top of the rear struts (the ones accessible from the trunk). That might give you an idea of how it's behaving - makes a wierd "clunk" in the rear when I go over even small bumps (it's more pronounced at low speeds). After looking it over, the guy says everything looks fine except that the left rear shock was "wet". Could the shock be shot? Seems like my car would be bouncing all over the place if that were the case. Maybe not. Any ideas? Problem seems to be even worse with passengers in the back.
Old 10-14-10, 05:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

GOD!!! more issues with F sport stuff. Not the best parts at all. I know many of us jumped on the parts because they were Lexus backed but they have not had a smooth introduction. The springs were an issue for the IS and the GS, and the sway bars on the GS had a poorly designed bushing that created rattles, and the intake made no noise and was sold with out an intake box ( joke ). This line seems like it was set up as an after thought....probably because Infiniti was coming out with the IPL they rushed to get their crap out faster . Regardless , the parts are not the best. I have not tried the brakes but I have the sway bars and the BS intake ( that makes less noise than my sway bars did when they were first installed) so unlike many members who will deny what I am saying, I have direct experience with the parts. In the future go with Tein or other reputable brands for your parts.

I would consult with the IS forum. Those guys had the same problem and they seem to work on their cars and mod their cars more than the GS crew.

Good luck buddy. I know its frustrating when the car is not in perfect condition
Old 10-21-10, 08:55 PM
bbetts00
Driver School Candidate

I think my next step is to replace the rear shocks, and cross my fingers that the "clunk" is one or both of those shocks blown out. I am considering 3 options, and would like to get everyone's thoughts on which route I should go:
1. Replace rear shocks with KYB OE replacements (P/N W0133-1890943). Keep F-Sport springs all the way around.
2. Replace all four shocks and go to Tanabe NF210 springs
3. Switch to coilovers (looking at BC Racing or Tein CST)

It's an '06 GS300 RWD with 19's, and all I want to do is close the wheel/fender gap with minimal change in ride quality. Coilovers seem like overkill.

Thoughts?

Last edited by bbetts00; 10-21-10 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-24-10, 04:42 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oay this is NOT and FSport issue!

Your OEM shocks are toast. A local member had the same issue with his 06 GS300 after lowering with the rear shocks.

At this point get coils so you can adjust the ride height and the ride comfort. This is your only option to get a similar ride to stock.

You also do not need to cut the bump stop for FSport springs. I never cut mine with Tanabe DF210 and my car never bottomed out.
Old 10-24-10, 08:55 AM
bbetts00
Driver School Candidate

Mike, thanks again for your help. You might remember, but back in Feb, you initially helped me settle on going the F-sport route:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-06-gs300.html

Easiest thing to do would be to just replace the rear shocks and keep the F-Sport springs, but I'm worried that it might not fix the problem (or if it blew a shock, that it may happen again). What do you think about this option?

If I go to coilovers, which brand has had the most success on my model? Seems like most coils should work on all 3GS RWD models, but folks have had issues with AWD (BC Racing the only option)? I'm hoping to just do this once and make it right.
Old 10-24-10, 10:06 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Having had coils and springs I would suggest coils. At this point you have to look at the cost to buy new shocks compared to the cost of coils. I bet they are going to be really close in cost plus you can sell your springs.

if your set on keeping the springs they will work just fine. I recently went back to stock and I miss the ride with coils on the car but my car is sitting for the winter months now. As for what is best I think you have a lot to chose from it all boils down to your budget. I have KSports and I loved them. Just prior to taking them off I had them almost on the softest setting and it was better then the stock ride.
Old 11-08-10, 08:14 PM
bbetts00
Driver School Candidate

Finally replaced the rear shocks, and the problem seems to be fixed! Guess it was just a blown rear shock. Weird coincidence that it occurred right after putting the F Sport springs on, but hopefully it was just that...coincidence.
Old 11-08-10, 08:15 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Awesome
Old 11-09-10, 05:48 AM
cpcalkins
Rookie

Just replaced the shocks and springs on my GS300 this past weekend with F Sport Springs and Shocks and it made a huge difference... Car definetely feels better and im pretty sure the rear shocks were blown anyway due to how bouncy and loose the rear end fell... The stock suspension on the GS is imo crap anyway...

Quick Reply: Major Issues After F-Sport Spring Install