Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Another F-Sport Swaybar thread. new on an '07 430 (Fsport Sway Bar Noise Problems)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-09, 06:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I had a sway bar link loosen on my G35. You can feel it when you corner. The car just feels loose and sloppy. I took it in and they said it just needed to be tightened.
Old 07-20-09, 10:52 AM
wingster
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After a week of driving with the new swaybars on my rwd 350, I'm getting a clunking noise in the front. It seems to happen one time a day... the first bump I hit after I pull out of my driveway in the morning. After that it doesn't make any noises, other than a little more prononced tire noise on the freeway.

I wonder if the harder rubber bushings are causing the noise.
Old 07-20-09, 11:14 AM
bokmeipai
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wingster
After a week of driving with the new swaybars on my rwd 350, I'm getting a clunking noise in the front. It seems to happen one time a day... the first bump I hit after I pull out of my driveway in the morning. After that it doesn't make any noises, other than a little more prononced tire noise on the freeway.

I wonder if the harder rubber bushings are causing the noise.
I have the same noise problem on my 350 AWD. It seems to me pronounced when the weather is a little cooler in 80-85 degree rannge. The temps hit in the 90's last week and during that day it was dead silent even going over cobblestone streets ! If anyone has a solution to fix please post.
Old 07-20-09, 11:55 AM
LexFather

I'm curious is something loose under there that is causing it to rattle sometimes and not all the times.

That happened to me before on my 2GS, heard it rattling sometimes and felt the car wasn't as pointable....well 2 screws were loose on one side.

Has the IS had this issue? They have had sways for awhile now, like 2 years.
Old 07-20-09, 12:49 PM
Gs350Lola
Lead Lap

my sways r making thumping noises now.... i think its loose screws connected to the link to the front sway. to much crazy corning for me?
Old 07-20-09, 01:11 PM
wingster
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm curious is something loose under there that is causing it to rattle sometimes and not all the times.

That happened to me before on my 2GS, heard it rattling sometimes and felt the car wasn't as pointable....well 2 screws were loose on one side.

Has the IS had this issue? They have had sways for awhile now, like 2 years.
I've double checked everything and torqued all bolts and nuts to spec.

I'm suspecting that since the rubber in the bushings is harder than the stock bushings, the bushings are "deforming" (taking to a different shape) when my car is sitting on the driveway (facing up not level). Then not giving the bushings enough time to return back to their normal shape, the "clunking" or "bumping" noises occur when I hit any bumps on the street.

So may be a revised bushing is needed?
Old 07-20-09, 01:25 PM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

It doesn't seem to be related to only GS4xx since some of these posts include the GS350 which I thought these were designed for. Has anyone contacted Lexus regarding this issue? I have only heard one success story (i mean sucess story in that no thumping noise is being produced) and that is I8ABMR's car.
I8 maybe you can speak to the service tech who installed yours and mention some of the problems that others are having with these sway bars and see if he has an opinion? He might have some insight.

Keep us posted,
I may take advantage of the layaway Sewell is offering to lock in price on sway bars and then hope that this issue is resolved before end of year
Old 07-20-09, 02:35 PM
bokmeipai
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wingster
I've double checked everything and torqued all bolts and nuts to spec.

I'm suspecting that since the rubber in the bushings is harder than the stock bushings, the bushings are "deforming" (taking to a different shape) when my car is sitting on the driveway (facing up not level). Then not giving the bushings enough time to return back to their normal shape, the "clunking" or "bumping" noises occur when I hit any bumps on the street.

So may be a revised bushing is needed?
I don't think it has anything with deforming since my car is parked in garage on level floor. In fact it made this thump when I picked up car from lexus after install. I thought it needed to break in. It may be possible the bushing is too hard, when temps outside hit 90 & above thumping goes away. I suspect higher temps make rubber bushing softer. This is an OEM Lexus part it should be tried and tested before selling to public.
Old 07-20-09, 04:55 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am confident its that they are reusing the end-links. I was surprised to see that they dont suggest you to replace these. Talking to a few local 2Gen GS owners these end-links where problems with sway bars. I searched hard but there is nothing aftermarket for this car at this point. I ordered new end-links to do it right IMO and yes its costing me more but I can report back if I have any such noises.
Old 07-20-09, 05:57 PM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by passnu2
I am confident its that they are reusing the end-links. I was surprised to see that they dont suggest you to replace these. Talking to a few local 2Gen GS owners these end-links where problems with sway bars. I searched hard but there is nothing aftermarket for this car at this point. I ordered new end-links to do it right IMO and yes its costing me more but I can report back if I have any such noises.
ETA? Color me impatient, but if it works I want it...

L
Old 07-20-09, 06:29 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Darrel said I should have them in 2 days.

I will install them this weekend if not sooner. Trust me I want them on the car also. I have too many "open" projects going on here.
Old 07-20-09, 08:20 PM
wingster
Driver

Originally Posted by passnu2
That would mean that we would need to replace the endlinks on a normal basis...in one or two years time... as they would wear out faster than with the stock bars? Something is not quite right.
Old 07-20-09, 08:32 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ From what I am told from the 2gen GS owners this was an issue for them. They have aftermarket end-links to choose from. We dont have this option at this time so yes this could be an issue for some.

Makes sense to me if you see the size of the F-Sport compared to OEM. Those end-links where not designed with the F-Sport in mind.
Old 07-21-09, 12:46 AM
Gs350Lola
Lead Lap

sigh we are the test subjects....
Old 07-21-09, 10:54 AM
sprintz
Rookie

I experienced the temperature dependence that bokmeipai does (less noise with higher temps, either from higher outside air temp, or from the car warming up). It was a cooler morning in Dallas today (80) and the knocking just after starting my car (low speed) was *much* more noticeable on a bigger variety of bumps. Within 10 minutes, it was "back to normal" which is only noticeable on very specific types of bumps (small) at slow speed.

I'm wondering if cranking up the torque on the links could help. I'm assuming that my dealership install would have torqued them to 84 Nm as spec'ed in the instructions. Anyone with a torque wrench and knocking willing to experiment?

Quick Reply: Another F-Sport Swaybar thread. new on an '07 430 (Fsport Sway Bar Noise Problems)