Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

AWD guys wanting coilovers, please read

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-09, 08:49 AM
01a4man
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have four people for sure now. Here are some pics of what they will look like. Please forgive me, they are pics of the IS AWD coilovers but, ours will look the same and have the same adjustibility and basically the same specs. Please see below (I took this from CircuitMS's post):

BC Racing BR series coilovers are perfect for street driving and occasional road course duty. With easily accessible adjustment ***** for fine tuning your compression/rebound and separately adjustable ride height, having a performance coilover system couldn’t be any easier. You choose how low or high you want your vehicle, no preset ride height here, and the patented concave lower locking ring keeps it locked in. They are dual-height adjustable, which means you don't sacrifice shock travel when you lower the car, since spring preload is completely separate from ride height. We can provide them with the OTS spring rates, or you can choose a softer or stiffer setup, it's up to you. We make it extremely easy for you to customize your suspension for your car.

(I do not know if Pillow Ball mounts will be an option for our cars or not. I will find out more on that and let you all know.)

We also provide the option of pillowball mounts front and rear, or rubber mounts front and rear, your choice. Rubber mounts provide an extra barrier between your suspension and chassis, reducing NVH. Pillowball mounts will be a little noiser, but they provide better feedback through your chassis and a stiffer mount for those of you looking to track your cars.

Here are the specs:

General

-Mono-tube shock design
-30 levels of damping force adjustment
-Separate Full length height adjustable
-Pillowball front mounts
-One year warranty
-Coilovers use 46mm pistons and 53mm shock housings, the enlarged shock cartridges with specially designed pistons and rods provide a wide range of damping force.
-Valves are constructed of special spring steel, which outperforms stainless steels and produces longer valve life. Valve stacks use a patented deflective system to provide more precise control.
-Patented concave lower locking ring, to prevent unseating
-Springs are made of SAE9254 high strength, durable steel. Compression tested at over 500,000 times with less than 5% deformation
-T6061 Aluminum utilized in spring locks and seats for high strength and lightweight
-Piston rods are constructed of highly polished steel to lengthen oil seal life and prevent leaking
-High pressure inner rod guide seals ensure a perfect fit for consistent fade resistant damping and long shock life.
-2 step coating process utilizing nickel and chromium plating to prevent corrosion
-Newly developed lubricant oil in all shock cartridges minimizes aeration and cavitation.
-An additional bearing beneath each pillowball mount provides a smooth action and prolongs the life of the pillowball itself.
-Each BC damper is individually dyno tested before leaving the factory, making sure each damper is matched to within 5%, ensuring an equal balance in handling. OEM standards are 13% in comparison.

We now have 4 people interested in this.

1. 01a4man
2. Tungo
3. GS350on22s
4. IXI187IXI
Old 03-15-09, 07:35 AM
01a4man
Pole Position

Anyone else interested?
Old 03-15-09, 06:39 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a4man told me 4 of you are interested. So we can take the deposits as soon as we can secure a front and rear stock suspension setup. I don't wantto take deposits before we have a stock suspension to prototype.

Also just so you guys know; this will be a non-refundable deposit. Once this is started we are going into production for sure, so if you back out after the fact the deposit is forfeit. This is just to help cover the costs for manufacturing a unique design for the AWD platform. If for some reason there is a problem and a set cannot be made, you will be fully refunded. Your deposit guarantees you will be the first on the list to receive the coilovers after the prototype has been tested and confirmed to work. Your deposit will also be applied to the total cost of your kit.

So we have the first guys on board, all we need is a front and rear stock coilover
Old 03-15-09, 08:58 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01a4man
We have four people for sure now. Here are some pics of what they will look like. Please forgive me, they are pics of the IS AWD coilovers but, ours will look the same and have the same adjustibility and basically the same specs. Please see below (I took this from CircuitMS's post):

BC Racing BR series coilovers are perfect for street driving and occasional road course duty. With easily accessible adjustment ***** for fine tuning your compression/rebound and separately adjustable ride height, having a performance coilover system couldn’t be any easier. You choose how low or high you want your vehicle, no preset ride height here, and the patented concave lower locking ring keeps it locked in. They are dual-height adjustable, which means you don't sacrifice shock travel when you lower the car, since spring preload is completely separate from ride height. We can provide them with the OTS spring rates, or you can choose a softer or stiffer setup, it's up to you. We make it extremely easy for you to customize your suspension for your car.

(I do not know if Pillow Ball mounts will be an option for our cars or not. I will find out more on that and let you all know.)

We also provide the option of pillowball mounts front and rear, or rubber mounts front and rear, your choice. Rubber mounts provide an extra barrier between your suspension and chassis, reducing NVH. Pillowball mounts will be a little noiser, but they provide better feedback through your chassis and a stiffer mount for those of you looking to track your cars.

Here are the specs:

General

-Mono-tube shock design
-30 levels of damping force adjustment
-Separate Full length height adjustable
-Pillowball front mounts
-One year warranty
-Coilovers use 46mm pistons and 53mm shock housings, the enlarged shock cartridges with specially designed pistons and rods provide a wide range of damping force.
-Valves are constructed of special spring steel, which outperforms stainless steels and produces longer valve life. Valve stacks use a patented deflective system to provide more precise control.
-Patented concave lower locking ring, to prevent unseating
-Springs are made of SAE9254 high strength, durable steel. Compression tested at over 500,000 times with less than 5% deformation
-T6061 Aluminum utilized in spring locks and seats for high strength and lightweight
-Piston rods are constructed of highly polished steel to lengthen oil seal life and prevent leaking
-High pressure inner rod guide seals ensure a perfect fit for consistent fade resistant damping and long shock life.
-2 step coating process utilizing nickel and chromium plating to prevent corrosion
-Newly developed lubricant oil in all shock cartridges minimizes aeration and cavitation.
-An additional bearing beneath each pillowball mount provides a smooth action and prolongs the life of the pillowball itself.
-Each BC damper is individually dyno tested before leaving the factory, making sure each damper is matched to within 5%, ensuring an equal balance in handling. OEM standards are 13% in comparison.

We now have 4 people interested in this.

1. 01a4man
2. Tungo
3. GS350on22s
4. IXI187IXI
Those photos of the IS AWD coilovers look good. I'm not sure about the IS AWD but the GS AWD has a lower bracket that I don't see on the coilover images? See below (image 1 of 2)
Attached Thumbnails AWD guys wanting coilovers, please read-img_2005.jpg  
Old 03-15-09, 08:59 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Image 2 of 2 from previous post (Front Shock Absorber Bracket Lower).
Attached Thumbnails AWD guys wanting coilovers, please read-img_2004.jpg  
Old 03-15-09, 09:03 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
a4man told me 4 of you are interested. So we can take the deposits as soon as we can secure a front and rear stock suspension setup. I don't wantto take deposits before we have a stock suspension to prototype.

Also just so you guys know; this will be a non-refundable deposit. Once this is started we are going into production for sure, so if you back out after the fact the deposit is forfeit. This is just to help cover the costs for manufacturing a unique design for the AWD platform. If for some reason there is a problem and a set cannot be made, you will be fully refunded. Your deposit guarantees you will be the first on the list to receive the coilovers after the prototype has been tested and confirmed to work. Your deposit will also be applied to the total cost of your kit.

So we have the first guys on board, all we need is a front and rear stock coilover
For the R&D "Guinea Pigs", why do they need to put down a deposit and still pay full price for a set of coilovers? In the past, I've seen Tanabe, Eibach or JIC Magic request to use a particular vehicle for R&D testing for a couple of days but the potential product would be free of charge? Maybe I'm understanding incorrectly, please clarify?

Last edited by nardeezy; 03-15-09 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-16-09, 03:46 AM
01a4man
Pole Position

Those photos of the IS AWD coilovers look good. I'm not sure about the IS AWD but the GS AWD has a lower bracket that I don't see on the coilover images?
Nardeezy,

I'm sure that everything will be fine once the stock suspension is sent in for R&D. As far as your second post, from the little research I have had the time to do, BC Racing is not a huge company like Tein, HKS, Tanabe, etc.. However, you do need to consider the fact not many people are stepping up to the plate as far as making a coilover for the GS. Secondly, since I have joined this forum and searched suspension posts, all I have heard is people complaining about not having options and thinking about trading their vehicles in due to the fact that suspension is not available. I am not trying to bash people here to include you but, the price being quoted is average in cost and from the specs being shown, a lot better than most other options even for cars that coilovers are already available for.

Consider the fact that I paid $2k for my NSX coilovers and $5k for a set of motorsport coilovers for a previous Audi I had. All I am trying to say is, be happy that someone is willing to try and make this happen for us instead of questioning business techniques. I mean, how many sets of springs do you think Tein and Tanabe have sold? I'm more than willing to bet the amount of profit made from either company selling the springs has offset the cost of R&D for them as well as giving away a couple of springs for their test mules. Now take into consideration that four (4) out of XXXX AWD owners have stepped up and shown interest in being the test mules for this. Why would they offer us anything with the chance of these four (4) sets being the only ones? Realistically you could say that other people may be be waiting till this is done and we have evaluated the coilovers and have reported on them here. Even in that case, remember that four (4) people have shown interest and are taking the plunge to make this happen. Sorry bro for the long winded response and please remember that I am not even remotely trying to bash you or anyone else. I'm just being honest.
Old 03-16-09, 05:48 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

so with them being in florida and pretty much all the awd people being in the northeast, how are they going to get a set of the suspension parts? would we have to chip in and buy someones used set just to send to them?
Old 03-16-09, 06:56 AM
01a4man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
so with them being in florida and pretty much all the awd people being in the northeast, how are they going to get a set of the suspension parts? would we have to chip in and buy someones used set just to send to them?
Very good question. I have been talking to gs350on22s about this. I work and live in Iraq and will not be home until June or July. I tried asking if I can just ship my car to them and have this done and they said no. So, the only thing I can do is to pay someone to take the front and rear suspension assemblies out of my car and have them sent to Circuit Motorsports. I think that is the only fair thing to do since everyone else drives their vehicles. A month or month and a half without a car for me is of no concern. I don't want anyone to chip in for that. I'm pushing to have these done for our cars and I am completely cool with that. So, long story short, I will take care of the suspension pieces and am trying to make this happen ASAP. I will keep all of you updated as to my progress. If someone else has a situation such as mine and can make it happen faster, I would be greatly appreciative.

Chris
Old 03-16-09, 07:16 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm surprised there has been only 4 people instrested in these so far. So, many wanted to drop their AWD's and now nobody is jumping on this offer. Most likely they're being skeptical about it. And as soon as you (4) guys install yours, others will follow
Old 03-16-09, 07:25 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

i hope so. this was one of the main reasons why i wanted to trade for a rwd gs. i prefer coilovers over springs any day.
Old 03-16-09, 07:31 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm still debating it. I like the feel of my "Lexus". From everything I have read here, dropping it will make it feel worse....not to mention the possible vibration problem. Also, does this void any sort of warranty from Lexus?

So are we talking 1100-1200 per wheel, or is that for the set of 4?
Old 03-16-09, 07:44 AM
01a4man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jtrue28
I'm still debating it. I like the feel of my "Lexus". From everything I have read here, dropping it will make it feel worse....not to mention the possible vibration problem. Also, does this void any sort of warranty from Lexus?

So are we talking 1100-1200 per wheel, or is that for the set of 4?
It is a complete set, all four corners.
Old 03-16-09, 07:48 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

with the adjustable damping, im sure you can get it to ride pretty close to stock. all the awd gs owners were on just lowering springs with probably stock struts which dont allow you to change dampening.

1200 for be for a set of 4. as far as voiding a warranty, if they wanted to they could but if something on the suspension breaks, they have to prove the coilover did it.
Old 03-16-09, 08:14 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

is this something that our hometown Lexus dealership will install, or do I have to find someone else?

Quick Reply: AWD guys wanting coilovers, please read