ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Suspension (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension-214/)
-   -   Anyone Know Why One Side Of The Car Is Lower With Aftermarket Springs. (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension/344835-anyone-know-why-one-side-of-the-car-is-lower-with-aftermarket-springs.html)

I8ABMR 03-26-08 07:46 PM

Anyone Know Why One Side Of The Car Is Lower With Aftermarket Springs.

I have noticed this very mild difference in left and right wheel gaps on my GS and my previos G35. I was assuming it was the weight of the driver that causes the springs to settle a little more on the left side therfore :dunno::dunno:the fender gap is slightly less. I am 6'5" and about 300 lbs, so I have a feeling its causing the springs to settle alittle more. I was wondering if this can be corrected by riding around with people on the right side of the car ( full load), since we all usually ride alone ( or at least I do). I think I have had someone in the back seat of my car twice, and my wife rides with me maybe 1-2 times/week

flipside909 03-26-08 07:50 PM

That's how it is with any lowering spring unfortunately. I had this problem with my 04 IS300, which is why I ended up going with coilovers. It's lower on the left side. The uneven gap is more pronounced when a car is lowered rather than stock.

Load leveling will not really correct this situation. The only real solution is to go with something adjustable like coil overs or airbags. Or the ghetto way, cut a coil.

maximussp 03-26-08 07:50 PM

They engineer the chassis to accommodate for the curvature of the road.

flipside909 03-26-08 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by maximussp (Post 3394086)
They engineer the chassis to accommodate for the curvature of the road.

That really doesn't make sense because the same RHD car has the same exact wheel gap on the same side of the car, it's not reversed.

I8ABMR 03-26-08 07:53 PM

Man all of my friends are over 6'3" and many over 250. maybe I will start taking my car when we go out. It will probably get the right side to come down al little

I8ABMR 03-26-08 07:55 PM

Is it bec of the weight and settling more bec of chronic weight on that side.?right side spring compression secondary to weight never happens

rominl 03-26-08 08:14 PM

that's how cars are. even at stock height one side has more gap, but it's so big that you don't notice. no matter what you do, with springs one side will be higher than the other

another reason why coilover is a plus.

ek9vboi 03-26-08 09:50 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If anything get coilovers... something I should have done and stuck to like I originally wanted. I want to go lower!!!

I8ABMR 03-26-08 09:58 PM

can anyone explain why. I am a man of science and have a doctorate. my hypothesis is that its the weight of the driver that causes this. constant spring compression secodary to drivers weight.

maximussp 03-26-08 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by flipside909 (Post 3394096)
That really doesn't make sense because the same RHD car has the same exact wheel gap on the same side of the car, it's not reversed.

If thats the case, I hope someone can tell us what it is.

whlkev 03-26-08 10:29 PM

now don't kill the messenger but we had the same discussion in the BMW world and the consensus was that the driver side is higher (always in the case of BMW, even stock) is to roughly take in account of the weight of the driver (single) so when the driver is inside, the car will level out in a spirited driving, giving you more precise handling.

now people always ask what happens when you have passengers and the idea is that they don't' expect you to drive like a mad man with passengers so precise handling isn't that important.

back to Lexus, now why the passenger side will be higher is totally beyond me. Perhaps it's for the RHD and not adjusted when building the LHD vehicle :uh:

just a thought...

rominl 03-26-08 10:45 PM

i have always been wondering about the reason why as well. never really got a confirmed answer. i also tend to believe it's the difference between lhd and rhd, but the fact that even cars in japan have uneven height, that's kind of "mystery" to me.

my newest "hypothesis" (meaning BS :D)? maybe they are trying to get a balance between the 2 (rhd and lhd), so the car is level without interior. and depends on where the steering wheel is, that side is a bit lower.

okok, enough BS :)

I8ABMR 03-26-08 11:20 PM

I still think it chronic compression of that side of the car. That makes more sense to me. spring manufacturers know of this so they should make adjustments. I guess it will never be perfect

timeToy 03-27-08 10:41 AM

Did anyone tried to switch the springs left and right, to see if the gap is the same, compensated or reversed ?

alwayzspeedin 03-27-08 05:29 PM

i'm drop on prokits and i dont see it..looks even to me, maybe my heads crooked