Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Best $400 I've spent yet on my GS350

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-06, 06:13 PM
sbrown02
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best $400 I've spent yet on my GS350

I just drove my GS350 home after having the Tanabe NF210's installed (NF's cost $200 and installation $200, what a deal ), and WOW what a difference for the better. Not only does the ride look soooo much better , but I love the better handling and feel of the road. Now that the car sits closer to the ground, its takes turns better and just feels more solid on the road. I can't really tell any difference in terms of roughness.

For those that haven't followed my saga, I purchased the GS350 with the stock 17's on it, then swapped em out for the 18" GS430 rims and put Pirelli's PZero Nero's on it. The Pirelli's are outstanding and the setup looks great. I'll try to post pics over the weekend.

Now that its over, I'm so glad I did it. Thanks Sgt for your advice and words of encouragment.

One item I need some advice on. On the drive home it seems like my headlamps are sitting higher than they were before the drop. Is this normal (i.e., would the headlamps sit higher after a drop, cause I would think they'd sit lower)? I even had someone bright me cause they thought I had my brights on, which I didn't. So, anybody else experience this, and if so what did you do?

Second, the shop that installed my coils says the car will need a full front and rear alignment. It drove great going home (didn't seem to pull to one side or the other), so do I still need to do this? If I do, I've also been told by other shops that only Lexus can do it cause they'd need to enter new data into the on board computer for VSS. Is this true? I'm kinda worried taking my brand new car back into the dealership to have them check my alignment, and what they'll say if they see I've already replaced the coils.

As always, thanks everyone for your help. This forum is the best!
Old 11-14-06, 06:20 PM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Cool!! But, your lowering is not official until you post PICS on this forum!!!!!

Btw... my Eibach's going in this weekend!!
Old 11-14-06, 07:12 PM
sbrown02
Pole Position

Point well taken hsk73. All I need is more daylight in a day, and I'd have them posted tomorrow night. But by the time I get home from work here in KC its usually dark. We need some of that CA sun out here.
Old 11-14-06, 08:22 PM
IStoGS350
Driver School Candidate

congrats. i'm still struggling whether to do this now or wait until after the blistery winter here in Indiana.

do the NF210's affect teh AWD at all?
Old 11-14-06, 08:25 PM
jman-is350
Lead Lap

Congrats and PICs...
Old 11-14-06, 08:34 PM
Funky
Rookie

Damn Steven you get your 350 a month after mine and you have three times the mods already. If I make it home before 7pm I'm happy let alone run all over town getting stuff done dropping the car off here and there. Maybe if I didn't have 7 1/2 hours of meetings a day.

I'd say call your service manager and talk to them about it. Mine was very cool and actually offered to unofficially recommend places for mods that they wouldn't do at the dealership. Not what I expected from a Lexus dealer, but very pleased. You'll have to pay for the alignment, but you definitely need it done especially on the AWD.

Dan
Old 11-14-06, 08:34 PM
sbrown02
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IStoGS350
congrats. i'm still struggling whether to do this now or wait until after the blistery winter here in Indiana.

do the NF210's affect teh AWD at all?
I think its too soon to answer that since I just drove it home on the interstate and city streets for 15 or so miles. But IMO the ride was noticably better than before. Coming from a G35x that was solid in snow, I'm very curious how my GS with larger tires, a lower stance and what feels like a larger frame is going to do in the snow.
Old 11-14-06, 08:54 PM
sbrown02
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Funky
Damn Steven you get your 350 a month after mine and you have three times the mods already. If I make it home before 7pm I'm happy let alone run all over town getting stuff done dropping the car off here and there. Maybe if I didn't have 7 1/2 hours of meetings a day.
Ok, ok, I'm going to come clean. My name is Steven and I'm a GS...aholic. Yes, I spent a couple of days this month arriving to work a little late and taking off a bit early. Can someone help me cure this disease? Okay, I think I'm done with the mods. Oh, no, I forgot. What about VAIS tech integration, and sirius. Will this ever end? I mean, I was a pretty normal everyday sort of guy before my GS. So what happend? Please send help!

Originally Posted by Funky
I'd say call your service manager and talk to them about it. Mine was very cool and actually offered to unofficially recommend places for mods that they wouldn't do at the dealership. Not what I expected from a Lexus dealer, but very pleased. You'll have to pay for the alignment, but you definitely need it done especially on the AWD.

Dan
Good advice. Thanks
Old 11-14-06, 09:01 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad I could help you out, Steven. I don't think you'll regret going with the springs. Like I mentioned, the ride is firmer and the handling much improved. Your headlights should not be aiming higher, especially since your car was lowered. Is the AFS light on the dashboard on? Installers sometimes knock the leveling arm out of spec when messing with the suspension. You should definitely get a 4-wheel alignment after lowering. I would wait at least two weeks to let the springs fully settle before getting it done.
Old 11-15-06, 03:06 PM
IStoGS350
Driver School Candidate

Bump For Pics, Man.
Old 11-15-06, 04:02 PM
Funky
Rookie

Rain and/or snow doth not maketh for good pics...hang tight the weather should be in Indy by morning.
Old 11-15-06, 04:45 PM
IStoGS350
Driver School Candidate

I'm sure it will. I think it's going to be a bad winter. My other ride is a Pontiac Solstice and I have a feeling I won't be breaking that out at all this winter.
Old 11-15-06, 06:54 PM
sbrown02
Pole Position

I'll get pics up by Saturday. By the time I get home (despite what Funky thinks) its dark and you don't want to see a pic of this car from the inside of my garage. It just wouldn't do it justice.
Old 11-15-06, 08:26 PM
IStoGS350
Driver School Candidate

Depending on how mine looks after the drop, I might trade my 19's and get the stock 18's. I'm having buyers remorse, but I hope it's just the ride height.
Old 11-16-06, 03:03 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by IStoGS350
Depending on how mine looks after the drop, I might trade my 19's and get the stock 18's. I'm having buyers remorse, but I hope it's just the ride height.
Leave the 19's and the lowering and you will probably be more than satisfied.

Quick Reply: Best $400 I've spent yet on my GS350