Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Big brake upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-03, 09:32 PM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Big brake upgrades

Need to get some. Any info on these http://thebrakeman.com/lexus.
Old 09-28-03, 05:31 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Ummm...the kit in the link that you gave us looks a lot more like a big toy (or a joke) than a serious performing unit. Why on earth would you want to put "convoluted brake rotors" on your ride?????

Do a search on the forum and you will find a wealth of info on the "REAL" big brake kits out there: AP Racing, Stoptech, Brembo, Endless, etc.
Old 09-28-03, 08:45 AM
BuyERTS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Willwood, Rotora, Supra...
Old 09-28-03, 10:44 PM
APLUS
Lead Lap

Where did I say I was getting these? Yeah I now of all the "real" brands of brakes you say. I am going with Brembos my self antway. My question was did any of you guys here of them? I need info. By your answers I guess no. So why post then?

Last edited by APLUS; 09-28-03 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-28-03, 10:57 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by APLUS
Where did I say I was getting these? Yeah I now of all the "real" brands of brakes you say. I am going with Brembos my self antway. My question was did any of you guys here of them? I need info. By your answers I guess no. So why post then?
Need to get some. Seems to indicate you are looking for brakes and considering those for which you provided a link. The "technique" of shaping the rotor into silly shapes seems to be an offshoot from mountain bike disc brake systems [perhaps motorcycle, too?]. Was all the rage a few years back. If you are going to get Brembos yourself why do you need info on these?

As for "why post?", because that's what people do on forums like this.

Last edited by redgs4; 09-28-03 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-29-03, 01:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

alright guys, drop it.
Old 09-29-03, 03:45 AM
APLUS
Lead Lap

I need the info for other reasons the personnal use. I am in the process of opening my own shop and I stumbled across these and wanted people to give me actually feedback from either first hand experience or legitimate knowledge of the product. Want to know should I carry the product, but it seems alot of people just guess and give feedback without actually knowing.

shaping the rotor into silly shapes seems to be an offshoot from mountain bike disc brake systems [perhaps motorcycle, too?]. Was all the rage a few years back. If you are going to get Brembos yourself why do you need info on these?

This statement actually tells me that you actually have some knowledge about the issue, not just telling me that "Dude their ugly want work." I can appreciate this commet.

I had did some research and from my understanding the 10-layer steel sandwich rotor dissipates heat three times faster than drilled/slotted cast iron rotors, and the cyclone rotor runs cooler than traditional rotors.

I am not picking fights here just trying to get some actual facts here so I know what to carry and what to buy. To get dealer pricing alot of times you actually have to buy a certain amount of their products. Not trying to waste money here only want to carry whats going to sell. I know this brake upragde fits alot of factory wheels.

I post some times as a lamen to see how people react and answer the questions about products to get a feel of which is actually good to carry and which one is just a personnal favorite. Remember I am in Michigan, not to many people of heard of such manufactures as Endless, and Project U, etc...
Old 09-29-03, 04:16 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by rominl
alright guys, drop it.
Ahhhhh, you're no fun.

APLUS, sorry -- did not mean to get in your face. Michigan can't be all bad, I picked up my ATS LSD from Dan at GodSpeed in Novi, MI.

Over the years I have seen many wildly shaped mountain bike rotors. The advantage on a bike is the rotors are 100% visible so any damage or degradation is easily visible. As long as the braking surface is smooth and mates well with the pads they should function ok, including on a car. Couple of things I wonder about that probably fall more into manufacturing: given the odd shapes (1) could there be problems with balance [if they are not even they could introduce a shimmy or shake] and (2) might the odd shapes introduce points of weakness that could encourage material failure under extreme load or heat?
Old 09-29-03, 04:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by redgs4
Ahhhhh, you're no fun.

APLUS, sorry -- did not mean to get in your face. Michigan can't be all bad, I picked up my ATS LSD from Dan at GodSpeed in Novi, MI.

Over the years I have seen many wildly shaped mountain bike rotors. The advantage on a bike is the rotors are 100% visible so any damage or degradation is easily visible. As long as the braking surface is smooth and mates well with the pads they should function ok, including on a car. Couple of things I wonder about that probably fall more into manufacturing: given the odd shapes (1) could there be problems with balance [if they are not even they could introduce a shimmy or shake] and (2) might the odd shapes introduce points of weakness that could encourage material failure under extreme load or heat?
haha, you were the one HELPING man, i wasn't saying you ;