Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Supra LCAs on SC400

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-19, 11:39 AM
KBTfilms
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supra LCAs on SC400

I need new lower control arms for my 98 sc400. Do Supra LCAs bolt on? More specifically this one: https://toyotaparts.lakelandtoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-lower-control-arm-4806814080?c=Zz1mcm9udC1zdXNwZW5zaW9uJnM9ZnJvbnQtc3VzcGVuc2lvbiZsPTE2Jm49QXNzZW1ibGllcyBQYWdlJmE9dG95b3RhJm89c3VwcmEmeT0xOTk2JnQ9YmFzZSZlPTMtMGwtbDYtZ2Fz
Old 06-21-19, 03:47 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Hello KBTfilms and welcome!

Yes, the 1993-1996 Supra front LCA's will bolt right on. So will the 97-98 Supra front lower LCAs which are aluminum rather than steel (just like the aluminum front lower LCA's that came on the 1998-2000 SC's) but they are slightly more expensive due to the use of aluminum. Toyota made the change to aluminum at the time in order to reduce a very tiny amount of weight but functionally there is no difference.

The car will function exactly the same way with either the earlier production steel front LCA's or the late production aluminum front LCA's. So yes, you can order those 93-96 units for the Supra and bolt them right into your SC.

Remember to order the distinct right side and left side LCA's. 48068-14080 is only for the right side. You will also need the left side.
Old 06-21-19, 08:54 AM
KBTfilms
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you! Yeah I certainly was not about to pay the premium for the lexus parts, I was hoping the rumors about the Supra LCAs were true! Is it a very difficult installation? Seems pretty straightforward.
Old 06-21-19, 06:16 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

I would buy new mounting bolts when you do this. The originals are probably frozen in the bushings & you will need to cut them out to remove the arms.
Old 06-22-19, 01:04 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Supra Dr
I would buy new mounting bolts when you do this. The originals are probably frozen in the bushings & you will need to cut them out to remove the arms.
^^ Very good advice for him, Supra Dr! I agree. I was able to reuse my original big control arm bolts and nuts when I switched mine out for MKIV front LCAs but perhaps I was lucky, mine having been a California chassis all its life up to that point.

Originally Posted by KBTfilms
Thank you! Yeah I certainly was not about to pay the premium for the lexus parts, I was hoping the rumors about the Supra LCAs were true! Is it a very difficult installation? Seems pretty straightforward.
Welcome! It's been known and proven for quite a long time now. The Lexus SC and Supra MKIV control arms are the same between the steel versions and very late model aluminum versions (aluminum costing a good chunk more in both cases respectively). I only forgot to mention that the rubber bushing formulation for the MKIV steel and aluminum LCAs is generally thought to be slightly firmer and more compliant than the rubber formulation in the Lexus versions.

Now this should still be a very subtle difference in rubber formulation but it's a tiny upgrade to the SC in that regard from a handling aspect.

**Also, just FYI it is only the front lower and upper LCAs that are compatible with the Supra and SC's. The rear lower and upper LCA's are different in design between the SC and Supra.

Aside, I assume you also know that in addition to front LCA replacement the one other rubber bushing system that tends to go out on SCs and cause steering/handling issues are the power steering rack bushings. If and when you ever need to address those, buy PS rack bushings from either Figs Engineering or Daizen Sport Tuning (if Daizen has them in stock).

The front LCA installation is fairly straightforward, yes. The SC TSRM covers it fully. I have printed instructions I worked from almost a decade ago when I last did mine. But it is a day/afternoon job if you aren't used to procedures like it.

You will need a good hydraulic jack (truck jacks such as a Pittsburgh model from Harbor Freight are best) and good jackstands of course. A good breaker bar is needed and believe you will also need a good torque wrench rated for over 100 ft-lbs in addition to a torque wrench rated in the lower ranges you'll also need (if one torque wrench cannot do both ranges effectively). I'd recommend on the "cheap" a good calibrated CDI torque wrenches (Snap-On Tools owns CDI and they also are WAY cheaper) and for any really huge torque requirements Tekton models are good quality and good on price.

I agree with Supra Dr. that it is probably a good idea to buy new mounting bolts for the LCAs. There is a very long and thick one plus a thick nut that holds the LCA in place on the car's frame. That is the one I think he is suggesting could in some cases due to age, heat/cool cycles and the elements become seized. PB Blaster can help with that. I would avoid any Benz-O-Matic torch in there just because you will be so very close to the brake lines.
The following users liked this post:
FamForce6 (01-18-20)