Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Quick groan when I step on the brakes downhill

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-19, 08:19 PM
IanLexusis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick groan when I step on the brakes downhill

Hey guys,

Just got my is250 awd and I noticed that when I step on the brake pedal, I hear quick groan from the front wheels, right before the car completely stops. When I try to release my foot on the brake pedal a little bit and slowly I hear the sounds again. This specially happens when I am driving downhill and sometimes on flat roads. No sound when I am driving uphill.

Hopefully someone can give me some ideas.
Thanks!
Old 04-08-19, 10:47 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 784 Likes on 401 Posts

Did you recently clean your wheels and brakes? I have the same symptoms right after pressure washing my brakes and wheels. Almost any car, clean or not, will have a brake groan while slowly releasing the brake pedal.

If you're super worried, it could never hurt to check the life of your pads. How much meat is left?
Old 04-08-19, 11:39 AM
IanLexusis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Pittsy
Did you recently clean your wheels and brakes? I have the same symptoms right after pressure washing my brakes and wheels. Almost any car, clean or not, will have a brake groan while slowly releasing the brake pedal.

If you're super worried, it could never hurt to check the life of your pads. How much meat is left?

Hi Pittsy,

Thanks for the advise. The noise doesnt matter if the car is newly washed or dry. It is always there when I brake slowly. It sounds like something is dry. The car doesnt groan when I am going uphill maybe because there is no resistance as opposed to going downhill when the brake pads need to stop the rotors from moving forward. Brake pads are still pretty good. Could it need some lubrication maybe?
Old 04-08-19, 12:58 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by IanLexusis
Hi Pittsy,

Thanks for the advise. The noise doesnt matter if the car is newly washed or dry. It is always there when I brake slowly. It sounds like something is dry. The car doesnt groan when I am going uphill maybe because there is no resistance as opposed to going downhill when the brake pads need to stop the rotors from moving forward. Brake pads are still pretty good. Could it need some lubrication maybe?
You could always remove the pads and lubricate the pins and shims. But please don't lubricate the rotor or meat part of the pads.

I only ask about the carwash part, because the brakedusts acts as a "lubricant".
Old 04-08-19, 04:45 PM
IanLexusis
Driver School Candidate

Hi Pittsy,

I will try that. Thanks! I was going home after shift and listened to it again. No Music! It is about 15 degrees celsius outside so it is pretty warm. ( I live in Alberta) and today it wasnt too bad. It was much more quiet. Could it have something to do with the pads acting up when it is cold? Perhaps they become harder when it is cold?
Old 04-10-19, 12:15 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by IanLexusis
Hi Pittsy,

I will try that. Thanks! I was going home after shift and listened to it again. No Music! It is about 15 degrees celsius outside so it is pretty warm. ( I live in Alberta) and today it wasnt too bad. It was much more quiet. Could it have something to do with the pads acting up when it is cold? Perhaps they become harder when it is cold?
Yep, cold pads tend to be louder when theyre not warmed up.
Old 04-25-19, 01:28 AM
wforty94
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the exact same issue with my front brakes. It's the LCA bushing torquing as you brake and then untorquing as you come to a stop causing movement in the brake pad against the rotor. I changed mine out to the Superpro bushing (stiffer) and no more groan.