Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Specific question about BC Coils

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-19, 10:13 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Dokuji
It's a bit different when the valving/rebound is calculated to pair with a stiffer spring rate. If you were to just slap on some 18k springs on stock shocks it would be a nightmare lol.

Again, I'm on 10k/7k and I actually like how soft they are. makes the car still feel like a cruiser. But Ideally I think something a bit stiffer would be beneficial for someone who likes riding pretty low.

The coilover debate is one of those that never ceases. Most people arent building track cars or race car projects, and blowing thousands of dollars on the best R&D'd coils is foolish, in my opinion. Not that premium parts don't have their merits or value, but only if that's what you're aiming for. You average cheap or mid range coilover will get the job done for most people.
Thats a good point, i guess i should find out exactly what valving/rebound i would need. I like the 10k/7k numbers since that's very close to what i was looking at myself. Are you running those numbers on BC coils or something else? Also how low are you that you are scraping your frame?
Old 06-13-19, 08:14 AM
Dokuji
Rookie

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

^^ You don't wanna know what I'm running. But they work for now. :P

I am extremely low. My subframe has maybe an inch and a half of clearance at its lowest point.

so when you factor in soft compression/rebound alongside crappy roads, It's not the best. I'm going to raise the ride ever so slightly soon but overall it hasn't been too bad at all.

I would recommend something a little stiffer like the BCs. that would probably be the sweet spot.
Old 06-13-19, 08:27 AM
SCJim
Driver

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Info from BC Racing

I just chatted with someone at BC racing about their coilovers for the SC. He said that they provide a firmer ride than OEM but retain some comfort. He also said that they have someone there that is using them on an SC300 with a pretty aggressive setup and they work well for him. The default spring rates for an SC are 14K/10K - same as they sell for the MKIV Supra - pretty much in line with what Dokuji is recommending.

So I decided to find a listing on the BC website to check out any options, like Swift spring upgrade but they don't actually list them for the SC. The guy online said just use the ones for a Supra, which makes sense but to do that I would have to ignore the popup warning that they don't make a fitment for the SC. Seems strange to me because I could cop a set for a Prius or a Camry, but not one for my SC, even though Amazon would sell me a set that they say is for my car.
Old 06-13-19, 06:58 PM
- V -
Instructor

Figs performance lists BC Coils for SC as well as custom spring rates for both stock springs and swift spring upgrade. The product code seems to be the once for supra though so might be the same thing.

Last edited by - V -; 06-13-19 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-14-19, 04:03 AM
Dokuji
Rookie

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SCJim
I just chatted with someone at BC racing about their coilovers for the SC. He said that they provide a firmer ride than OEM but retain some comfort. He also said that they have someone there that is using them on an SC300 with a pretty aggressive setup and they work well for him. The default spring rates for an SC are 14K/10K - same as they sell for the MKIV Supra - pretty much in line with what Dokuji is recommending.

So I decided to find a listing on the BC website to check out any options, like Swift spring upgrade but they don't actually list them for the SC. The guy online said just use the ones for a Supra, which makes sense but to do that I would have to ignore the popup warning that they don't make a fitment for the SC. Seems strange to me because I could cop a set for a Prius or a Camry, but not one for my SC, even though Amazon would sell me a set that they say is for my car.
Logistics. most MKIV parts are basically identical.when you're talking springs specifically it's even less of an issue. I would get the BCs and see how you like the ride before spending even more money on upgrading the springs.
The following users liked this post:
SCJim (06-14-19)
Old 06-14-19, 04:09 AM
SCJim
Driver

From what I have read the product code was always the same for the SC and Supra but with softer springs when it was ordered for the SC. But that setup is gone now, maybe because people complained that it was too soft and bottomed out. Now they they only sell the set for the Supra with the stiffer rates and as the BC guy said it is the same chassis. Of course that is not exactly true but he is right that it is probably close enough.

What I don't know is what you get when you order from a vendor. Do you get the old setup for the SC or just the Supra set with a different name? I guess if you pick your own springs you would know as far as the rates go but would it be valved correctly for those spings?
Old 06-14-19, 04:11 AM
SCJim
Driver

Originally Posted by Dokuji
Logistics. most MKIV parts are basically identical.when you're talking springs specifically it's even less of an issue. I would get the BCs and see how you like the ride before spending even more money on upgrading the springs.
I agree and if you get the default MKIV set you would know that they were valved to match the springs you bought as well.
The following users liked this post:
Dokuji (06-14-19)
Old 04-20-20, 10:39 AM
- V -
Instructor

Gonna necro this thread to hopefully get more info. I realize we're just beating a dead horse here but more discussions couldn't hurt right?.....RIGHT?! lol

Anyway first things first, Jim did you end up getting the BC kit? if so what spring rates did you end up going with and do you like it?

Secondly hours and hours .....and hours of research I am still very confused BUT i think ive figured out how to get a baseline for minimum spring rate based on drop.
I'll spare you guys the math but i am missing 1 key piece of information before i can complete the calculation. I need to know the SPRING height/length of our stock front and rear springs. If anyone has a set of stock springs laying around that can measure the length from top to bottom for me that would be very much appreciated.

Lastly, in my research I came across some CX Racing coilovers that run 12k/8k. I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with these coils. Are they good?bad?bouncy? etc
Old 04-21-20, 05:18 AM
SCJim
Driver

Originally Posted by - V -
Anyway first things first, Jim did you end up getting the BC kit? if so what spring rates did you end up going with and do you like it?
No I didn't get the BC coils. I ended up buying Fortune Auto coils, which I like very much.
Old 04-21-20, 08:52 AM
- V -
Instructor

No I didn't get the BC coils. I ended up buying Fortune Auto coils, which I like very much.
Did you get the 500 series with the 12/8 spring rates? how do you like the ride quality and stiffness?
Old 04-21-20, 09:06 AM
SCJim
Driver

Did you get the 500 series with the 12/8 spring rates? how do you like the ride quality and stiffness?
I bought the MSC 1-Way with 12/8 Swift springs. The ride is very good and a little firmer that factory but still very smooth. I ran rebound up to 3/4 but eventually backed that off to 1/2 way, which is tight but not harsh.
Old 04-21-20, 09:12 AM
- V -
Instructor

I bought the MSC 1-Way with 12/8 Swift springs. The ride is very good and a little firmer that factory but still very smooth. I ran rebound up to 3/4 but eventually backed that off to 1/2 way, which is tight but not harsh.
Nice, any issues bottoming out? also how low are you?
Old 04-21-20, 09:47 AM
SCJim
Driver

Nice, any issues bottoming out? also how low are you?
Tires never rub but I do have to watch steep aprons which can make the tie downs rub.

Not super low - just stanced like a proper sports car IMO.

Old 04-21-20, 12:41 PM
- V -
Instructor

that is pretty much the height that i want as well, looks proper without any weird camber angles......what tie downs are you talking about though?
Old 04-21-20, 01:15 PM
SCJim
Driver

that is pretty much the height that i want as well, looks proper without any weird camber angles......what tie downs are you talking about though?
I was talking about the metal frame pieces which are used to tie down cars when they are shipped. In most of my Japanese cars they have been the lowest hanging bits under the front. I have not had this problem often and only when crossing steep ramp angles, so it is not a big deal. I have a few scratches on those metal tabs but not on anything else, so that is why I assumed they were what dragged.

Quick Reply: Specific question about BC Coils