Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Off-roading car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-19, 11:48 AM
Good
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off-roading car?

Hello everyone. I am in a bit of a dilemma with my 02’ gs300. I recently took a solo off-road trip with my only car for some reason. And it was very fun. So now i want to completely change the look and purpose of the car. I want to get all-terrain tires and raise the cars suspension a bit, and a skid plate(i may have to take the bumper off haha), and a lightbar and all the cool looking off-road vehicle goodies. Is this type of thing even possible to do on this car? I just want to go off-roading more often, and be able to drive faster(without having to worry about big rocks damaging my cars guts). And I also dont want to buy another car. Its so comfortable. But yea, what do i need to get to raise this thing? These are pictures of my car currently, compared to a look im going for with a similar car. Im on a frugal budget

Last edited by Good; 01-08-19 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-08-19, 11:58 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

I learned by trying to mod my first car (a crossover) to make it sportier that you can't make a vehicle thats designed for one thing do something else well. If you want to go off roading buy another vehicle that was designed to do that from the factory or you're just going to ruin your GS and it will be very difficult to resell and won't be worth anything
Old 01-08-19, 12:08 PM
Good
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
I learned by trying to mod my first car (a crossover) to make it sportier that you can't make a vehicle thats designed for one thing do something else well. If you want to go off roading buy another vehicle that was designed to do that from the factory or you're just going to ruin your GS and it will be very difficult to resell and won't be worth anything
You’re very right, which sucks. It’s understandable though. I’m still open to any logical options, there’s always a chance I suppose
Old 01-08-19, 05:57 PM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Good
I’m still open to any logical options
Get an SUV.
Old 03-17-19, 10:16 PM
Dipstikgs
Driver School Candidate

Get some coilovers, jack them right up, toss some knobby tires like a cooper stmaxx, lsd, good skid plates and it would actually be a good car for gravel rally and some fun on dirt roads.
Old 03-19-19, 06:47 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 463 Likes on 377 Posts

It's not even worth making an off road project without starting with an awd platform. Out of the box an awd will outperform a GS with $10k in tires, coil-overs, and all the light bar/push bumper goodies. Just not the car for it. Lack of power for it's large size and weight along with only 2wd would have you stuck in a ditch in no time.
Old 03-19-19, 06:52 AM
Dipstikgs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
It's not even worth making an off road project without starting with an awd platform. Out of the box an awd will outperform a GS with $10k in tires, coil-overs, and all the light bar/push bumper goodies. Just not the car for it. Lack of power for it's large size and weight along with only 2wd would have you stuck in a ditch in no time.
is that why they have 2wd classes is rally? Or in baja? Have you not seen the off road miatas?
Old 03-19-19, 07:24 AM
captainva
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dipstikgs
is that why they have 2wd classes is rally? Or in baja? Have you not seen the off road miatas?
Yes but they also make parts to lift a miata and there is a lot of aftermarket support to make sure a miata still works properly when its lifted. In the case of a 2GS I don't think either of those things exist so unless you have a lot of time, patience, and skill to solve those problems yourself lifting a 2GS would not be for the faint of heart or those with a light wallet
Old 03-19-19, 05:04 PM
TrueGS300
Racer

Oh stupid me, I guess a GS300 will be a great off-road car then.
Old 03-19-19, 05:44 PM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

Yeah, because race prepped cars, trucks, and tube-chassis buggies are the same thing as a 20 year old freeway cruiser. Off-road Miatas are novelties.

If you want to go off-roading, buy a vehicle that is at least somewhat fundamentally designed for it, not diametrically opposed. Literally nothing about using the GS as a starting point is easier, cheaper, or more effective, than selling it and buying a truck or SUV. Especially with a "frugal budget".
On the other hand, "safari style" cars and overlanding are the hot trends for 2019, so slapping a light bar and chunky tires on.. whatever, is not going to be that out of place. It'll still suck *** off-road, it'll just go over slightly bigger things.

Last edited by firelizard; 03-19-19 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-19-19, 07:32 PM
Dipstikgs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by firelizard
Yeah, because race prepped cars, trucks, and tube-chassis buggies are the same thing as a 20 year old freeway cruiser. Off-road Miatas are novelties.

If you want to go off-roading, buy a vehicle that is at least somewhat fundamentally designed for it, not diametrically opposed. Literally nothing about using the GS as a starting point is easier, cheaper, or more effective, than selling it and buying a truck or SUV. Especially with a "frugal budget".
On the other hand, "safari style" cars and overlanding are the hot trends for 2019, so slapping a light bar and chunky tires on.. whatever, is not going to be that out of place. It'll still suck *** off-road, it'll just go over slightly bigger things.

that's pretty much exactly what he wants to do with it. Not make a rock crawler or mud car out of it that's just dumb. A safari style or off road miata style gs would look dope.
Old 03-20-19, 05:20 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

A safari style or off road miata style gs would look dope.
Well that's certainly a matter of opinion. I don't just not recommend going down this path with a GS because it's futile in nature. But I think it would look ridiculous to the point of ridicule, but to each their own.
Old 03-20-19, 05:24 AM
Dipstikgs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TrueGS300
Well that's certainly a matter of opinion. I don't just not recommend going down this path with a GS because it's futile in nature. But I think it would look ridiculous to the point of ridicule, but to each their own.
if people can do it with say a Mercedes or bmw y not a gs
Old 03-20-19, 11:03 AM
captainva
Instructor

if people can do it with say a Mercedes or bmw y not a gs
I hope you have a fat wallet. Its going to all be custom unless you can find an off the shelf lift kit for a GS
Old 03-20-19, 08:45 PM
Dipstikgs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
I hope you have a fat wallet. Its going to all be custom unless you can find an off the shelf lift kit for a GS
strut spacers aren't hard to make

Quick Reply: Off-roading car?