Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilovers (don't be mad =P)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-18, 07:13 PM
xCWolf
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Coilovers (don't be mad =P)

I know, I know, it's been beaten to death but I need a few opinions to kind of sway me here
I need new suspension as the shocks on my 93 sc400 are original to the car and they're pretty shot.
Essentially the budget I have in mind (I'll be doing the labor so parts only) is $600 give or take a bit for shipping/taxes/real nice set on sale etc.

I'm looking for a bit stiffer/sportier ride than stock but I want to keep it kind of smooth, I'm not racing this thing just want it to feel a touch more sporty.
I also want to be able to lower it a bit make it look a bit more flush but I'm not slamming the thing.

My research point's me to the GodSpeed model mss0141

So what is everyone's suggestion in that price range? or is there something just as good for less?

Thanks!

Last edited by xCWolf; 10-29-18 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-30-18, 10:02 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

Some chime in with the correct info here, but Tein now makes a non-rebuildable coilover for our car that people are quite fond of, and they run awfully cheap.
Old 10-30-18, 03:55 PM
logix7
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

tein street basis. i run them. perfect for a daily. no dampening adjustment. i think they run around 500 for a set but you have to re-use your top-hats
Old 10-30-18, 04:04 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

If you don't care about adjusting height once set, I would recommend a good set of mkIV aftermarket lowering springs with mkIV shocks/struts (Bilsteins are really good). There's a used set on eBay for around $450 at the moment. I believe all you would need to do is swap in your SC tophat. I had a set of those mkIV Bilsteins (and B&G lowering springs) and they rode fantastic. A straight stock mkIV setup drops the SC around 1.5". Add in a set of mkIV spec lowering springs and you will be at 3"+.
Old 10-30-18, 07:35 PM
xCWolf
Rookie

It's funny I was really thinking about the street basis until I saw the godspeeds but now that I'm seeing people suggest them AND they're 200 less I think that might be the right decision. As long as they're a bit lower than stock I can always fill the gap with wheels and tires and make it more flush to the wheel well. And they are a bit stiffer than stock?
Old 11-02-18, 11:40 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

The teins target the market that needs to replace their stock springs and shocks and want to lower their car a little bit. I would say somewhere between stock height and -1.5" is a good range. I've had the street basis before, and my recommendation would be to spend the extra money to get street advance to have dampening. Overall, for the price it's a great coilovers if you're going to use it in the specified range. A lot of guys on facebook hate them because they try to slam their cars with the cheapest teins on the market and didn't follow instructions.

An alternative would be CX racing. I gave my spare set to my friend, so he could install on his wife's SC. He says she is happy with it and hasn't complained. The car isn't lowered too much, and he said it was surprisingly comfortable. I haven't driven the car, but that doesn't sound surprising to me. The spring rates are relatively soft. My main concern would be durability with these coils.
Old 11-02-18, 04:02 PM
xCWolf
Rookie

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
The teins target the market that needs to replace their stock springs and shocks and want to lower their car a little bit. I would say somewhere between stock height and -1.5" is a good range. I've had the street basis before, and my recommendation would be to spend the extra money to get street advance to have dampening. Overall, for the price it's a great coilovers if you're going to use it in the specified range. A lot of guys on facebook hate them because they try to slam their cars with the cheapest teins on the market and didn't follow instructions.

An alternative would be CX racing. I gave my spare set to my friend, so he could install on his wife's SC. He says she is happy with it and hasn't complained. The car isn't lowered too much, and he said it was surprisingly comfortable. I haven't driven the car, but that doesn't sound surprising to me. The spring rates are relatively soft. My main concern would be durability with these coils.
I actually ended up ordering the street advanced yesterday, somehow they have already arrived (raceconsultingagency.com if you're wondering awesome deals and legit)

I see Tein also makes an active damping computer/motor setup which I may get later on down the road.

Pics coming in the build thread when I get around to putting them in.
Old 11-18-18, 06:52 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I’m with Zerodrag!
2of my scs have the biststein shocks as well as my truck, I had coilovers before but wasn’t satisfied how soft of the ride was.
As a matter of fact I just bought a set of eibachs from sf, can’t wait for Tuesday for their arrival, but yeah you may want to rethink on those at 600$ range.
A good coilover is a little pricey, but you get to choose your spring rate and damping adjustment, so you don’t bottom out on turns and uneven road surfaces.
Old 11-19-18, 06:35 AM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Bag it!! . . . .
Old 11-19-18, 08:47 AM
xCWolf
Rookie

Originally Posted by joe diego
Bag it!! . . . .
No thanks. Airbags don't respond well to track use.
Old 01-30-19, 11:09 AM
Slaker13
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is not true. Although it is a common misconception.

If you haven't bought a set of coilovers yet, I'm running 14kg FR /10KG RR CXRacing coilovers and have been for a couple years now, nothing but good things to say about them on my SC.