Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Shim & Fitting Kit Installation for SupraTT Calipers

Old 07-22-03, 06:29 AM
Fa-suto
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shim & Fitting Kit Installation for SupraTT Calipers

Can anyone tell me if it is difficult to install the Shim & Fitting kit for Supra TT Calipers? I already have the calipers installed on my GS with the brake pads loose (had to wait for the kit to arrive). I wanted to find out the complexity of the installation or should it be something I should take in to have done?

Secondly, if it is something a semi-DIY person can do, are there any instructions or is it pretty straight forward? Any help would be appreciated. TIA!

Fa-suto
Old 07-22-03, 09:00 AM
Fa-suto
Pole Position

Bump.
Old 07-22-03, 09:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

it shouldn't be hard. most shim and fitting kits you should attach it to the back of the pads and stick it into the pads area inside teh calipers?
Old 07-23-03, 08:37 AM
Fa-suto
Pole Position

The shim fittings was pretty straight forward to install as well as the anti-rattle fits, but I can't figure out what to do with the other pieces that is part of the fitting kit. Its hard to describe, but I have like 8 metal clips and 4 elongated flexible wires that I don't know how to attach onto the brake pads. Anyone have any ideas?

I notice some pictures floating around of GS brake assembly here, but none of the pieces I have were depicted in those diagrams. Does anyone have any pictures or diagrams of their calipers? That may help me figure out where the placement of these pieces go.

Thanks again for any help.
Old 07-23-03, 09:14 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Sounds like the four elongated flexible wires are the springs that sometime go across the pad. Look at your pads installed in the caliper and see if you see four little holes (two on each pad). The wires will go in one hole on one pad and one hole on the other to help hold them apart when you are not pressing on the brake pedal so now dragging noise. Many times aftermarket pads don't have the holes and you just leave them off.
Old 07-23-03, 07:43 PM
Fa-suto
Pole Position

Thanks Ron430, that would explain why I couldn't find the holes on my EBC pads. I wasn't sure if there was a trick to attach them to the metal plates. I just want to make sure I don't leave anything out that should be attached to the brake pads and calipers.