Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lowering Springs IS350 2014 Fsport AWD recomendation

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-19, 10:42 AM
Napalvr
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by logix1229
sorry if this is a stupid question but i'm looking to lower my 2014 350 rwd f sport and i keep seeing comments about a reverse rake or forward rake look? what does that mean? I'm not familiar with this and I'd like to know before i commit to buying springs.
Reverse rake means the rear of the car sits lower than the front, just the opposite of forward take when the rear is higher than the front. Personally I don’t mind the reverse rake. Lexus built these cars with some reverse rake to them
Old 06-01-19, 11:23 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

sorry if this is a stupid question but i'm looking to lower my 2014 350 rwd f sport and i keep seeing comments about a reverse rake or forward rake look? what does that mean? I'm not familiar with this and I'd like to know before i commit to buying springs.
RWD models will sit relatively level, it's the AWDs (F-Sport 3.5L in particular) that get the reverse-rake or rear-squat look, with RS-Rs in particular. For whatever reason, larger rims seem to mitigate that somewhat. Forward rake will only come from either putting springs only in the front or using a bigger-drop spring in the front.
Old 06-01-19, 11:27 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Napalvr
RSR downs since day 1 (2015 AWD) Feels like stock only slightly stiffer. Have 19” and no rubbing and alignment is within factory specs.
So when you went for alignment did they have to adjust much, or was it already still within spec after lowering?
Old 06-01-19, 11:44 AM
logix1229
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Napalvr
Reverse rake means the rear of the car sits lower than the front, just the opposite of forward take when the rear is higher than the front. Personally I don’t mind the reverse rake. Lexus built these cars with some reverse rake to them
Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
RWD models will sit relatively level, it's the AWDs (F-Sport 3.5L in particular) that get the reverse-rake or rear-squat look, with RS-Rs in particular. For whatever reason, larger rims seem to mitigate that somewhat. Forward rake will only come from either putting springs only in the front or using a bigger-drop spring in the front.
Thanks for the replies! I am looking at a very mild drop and to make the car look level all around. By browsing the threads, it looks like the RSR half downs will be my best choice, with stock wheels on the car. Do you guys agree? or any other suggestions?
Old 06-01-19, 11:47 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Yup, Half Downs sounds ideal for what you want. Check out the threads, there are plenty of pics from those who have them.
Old 06-01-19, 12:21 PM
logix1229
Rookie

Yup, Half Downs sounds ideal for what you want. Check out the threads, there are plenty of pics from those who have them.
Thanks!! I've never modified any of my past cars, do you know roughly how much it will cost for installation? Also, just by changing the springs, that doesn't affect anything on the drive modes right? specifically the "Sport S+" mode where the suspension is supposed to stiffen up a bit? or the dampers? something like that...
Old 06-01-19, 12:48 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Thanks!! I've never modified any of my past cars, do you know roughly how much it will cost for installation? Also, just by changing the springs, that doesn't affect anything on the drive modes right? specifically the "Sport S+" mode where the suspension is supposed to stiffen up a bit? or the dampers? something like that...
If you have AVS it only affects the shocks; the springs are non-controllable and just affect the ride height and stiffness/travel of the suspension.

As for installation, best would be to know somebody because a lot of shops will charge "by the book", which is something like 7+ hours. I had one guy quote me over $1100Can plus taxes, which even he admitted was ridiculous. From what others have said, the whole job should be 3-4 hours, even less if someone's done it before.
Old 06-01-19, 02:03 PM
logix1229
Rookie

If you have AVS it only affects the shocks; the springs are non-controllable and just affect the ride height and stiffness/travel of the suspension.

As for installation, best would be to know somebody because a lot of shops will charge "by the book", which is something like 7+ hours. I had one guy quote me over $1100Can plus taxes, which even he admitted was ridiculous. From what others have said, the whole job should be 3-4 hours, even less if someone's done it before.
My car does have the AVS, in regards to that, does it impact it negatively? or can you provide a little more information on how big/significant of a change? (sorry for all the questions).Just trying to understand before I make any changes since i've never done it before.
Old 06-01-19, 10:54 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

My car does have the AVS, in regards to that, does it impact it negatively? or can you provide a little more information on how big/significant of a change? (sorry for all the questions).Just trying to understand before I make any changes since i've never done it before.
I'm far from an expert, but because the springs not only stiffen the ride but also shorten the travel of the shocks, I would imagine it reduces the noticeableness of AVS to some degree over the stock springs. The car should have a firmer more AVS-like feel at all times.
Old 06-01-19, 11:18 PM
logix1229
Rookie

I'm far from an expert, but because the springs not only stiffen the ride but also shorten the travel of the shocks, I would imagine it reduces the noticeableness of AVS to some degree over the stock springs. The car should have a firmer more AVS-like feel at all times.
Gotcha! Sorry I was thinking the worse, like some major problem was potentially going to pop up. I'm aware that the overall ride quality is going to be a bit harsher but that's fine. On half downs, i can't imagine it to be anything major. The drop is minimal so i assume the decrease in ride quality should be the same.
Old 06-03-19, 11:28 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Contact us for pricing on the half downs!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 07-02-19, 01:37 AM
Mcintire
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed about the gap closure, although Ark does not produce AWD-specific springs. A 250 AWD owner here put the Arks on his and it looks perfect, but what did you end up with?
Im assuming the springs fit the same. The main difference from my understanding is the ride height. Instead of 1” in the front it’s now 1.4”?
Old 07-02-19, 06:23 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mcintire
Im assuming the springs fit the same. The main difference from my understanding is the ride height. Instead of 1” in the front it’s now 1.4”?
@truu has put ARKs onto his non-F Sport 350 and had a pretty good and balanced drop overall. Haven't heard his mesaurements though.