Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Clunk Suspension after 40k

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-18, 05:20 PM
jlopez3983
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clunk Suspension after 40k

Hey Everyone... I noticed that after around 39k miles my OEM suspension doesn't quite feel like it used to on day 1. I know this is expected. Here's my info, any advice would be helpful.

Issue..... So the best way i could explain the suspension is that it feels "Clunky", or not as tight as it used to be.

Fix... I just recently replaced springs with RSR Down Springs (I know this affects the ride, but I was having this issue before the spring replacement). I thought it may be the OEM struts in the vehicle, but when i pulled them out to do the springs they looked and felt great. So back they went, along with the new springs. On top of this I also swapped out the LCA Bushings from RRRacing to fix the tire wear issues.

Questions... What else could I replace to get the solid suspension feel back. again it feels loose and clunky.
Old 04-06-18, 11:00 AM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

i've honestly never heard anyone describe their suspension as clunky unless they were describing actual "clunk" noises.

So having that said, i'm not sure what it is that you're experiencing. If you think your ride feels sloppy, bushings would help tighten things up, but I wouldn’t think bushings need replacing after only 40K miles. The rubber in bushings would typically last 130K+ miles before they deteriorate enough to warrant replacing. Shocks would probably be a good thing to replace as they get worn faster and would make more of a drastic change in feel. Lastly, if you want a firmer ride, you can choose springs with a stiffer spring rate. This is tricky though because you don’t necessarily want to pick a spring that’s too stiff for your stock shocks, but stiffer springs would help the car feel more solid and planted (with more harshness of course—there’s always a tradeoff).
The following users liked this post:
Noeh (05-07-18)
Old 04-08-18, 05:41 PM
jlopez3983
Rookie

Originally Posted by CLUM
i've honestly never heard anyone describe their suspension as clunky unless they were describing actual "clunk" noises.

So having that said, i'm not sure what it is that you're experiencing. If you think your ride feels sloppy, bushings would help tighten things up, but I wouldn’t think bushings need replacing after only 40K miles. The rubber in bushings would typically last 130K+ miles before they deteriorate enough to warrant replacing. Shocks would probably be a good thing to replace as they get worn faster and would make more of a drastic change in feel. Lastly, if you want a firmer ride, you can choose springs with a stiffer spring rate. This is tricky though because you don’t necessarily want to pick a spring that’s too stiff for your stock shocks, but stiffer springs would help the car feel more solid and planted (with more harshness of course—there’s always a tradeoff).
Thanks for the response. The best way to describe it, is that everything in the front end feels looser than when bought. Just trying to feel the same tight feeling vehicle like when i first purchased it.
Old 05-09-18, 01:36 PM
Egk20r
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jlopez3983
Hey Everyone... I noticed that after around 39k miles my OEM suspension doesn't quite feel like it used to on day 1. I know this is expected. Here's my info, any advice would be helpful.

Issue..... So the best way i could explain the suspension is that it feels "Clunky", or not as tight as it used to be.

Fix... I just recently replaced springs with RSR Down Springs (I know this affects the ride, but I was having this issue before the spring replacement). I thought it may be the OEM struts in the vehicle, but when i pulled them out to do the springs they looked and felt great. So back they went, along with the new springs. On top of this I also swapped out the LCA Bushings from RRRacing to fix the tire wear issues.

Questions... What else could I replace to get the solid suspension feel back. again it feels loose and clunky.
what tires are you on ???? I’m on the stocks springs but I have 25/20 spacers and I have the lCA bushings frm rracing aswell !! I recently changed my tires to Michelin Pilot Sport a/s 3+ when they were installed I first noticed that my car felt loose coming out of corners. I live in Hollywood with a lot of drivers that dnt knw exactly what they r doin so I had to switch lanes pretty fast to avoid an accident and I felt my front end was on ice !!! So after about 150miles the tires I guess wear in and now everything feels like brand new like when I got the car !! I drive a 2017 is350 rwd!!!
Old 05-14-18, 02:13 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,078 Likes on 1,569 Posts

Bushings/rubber is not an on/off switch. Over time they sag and loosen up and your whole suspension is moving around. I'd say at 80k, they've reached life expectancy. And life expectancy should not mean total failure--this is a performance oriented vehicle and when your vehicle starts to feel loose, consider that a failure. So at 40k, your bushings are at half performance which in my mind is a soft failure, maybe not a hard failure. So in other words, replace your bushings, dampers, and mounts. At your mileage, i'd replace the CABs and go from there. They're cheap and easily accessible and are responsible for a lot of your front end handling/stability.

Then from there, the sky's the limit. Upper A arm bushings, inner control arm bushings, rear control arm bushings, subframe bushings and whatever other bushings are back there

this is a pay to play car, just as any BMW. This is discussed/done all day long on BMW forums. everyone concerned w/ performance redoes all their bushings their BMWs. our intervals for the above are something like 40k/40k/50k/75k. i've written articles on this.
The following users liked this post:
CriMe (05-16-18)
Old 06-29-18, 05:50 PM
LexoDAV
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Your like-new feeling that you don’t have now is because of a few things I can think of. Tires, oem tire equipped on this car had very stiff sidewalls and were a summer-like touring tire, if you replaced them, it’s one thing that can cause that. Another is the rr racing bushing you put on it. Did you install it right? Double check it’s tq down properly and has no play. Those two items mention above can cause a car to drive completely different.