Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Budget track/drift coilover

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-18, 05:56 PM
Jok3r
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Budget track/drift coilover

I need coilovers for my sc300 track/drift car. I would love some Ohlins lol but that us not what i need right now. Powered by max look ok. But for that style coil i might as well go cheap cheap.This is a budget/chump/practice car for right now. I am looking at these with a nice high spring rate at 14kg front and 8kg rear. Which I think is about 800 lbs and 450 lbs. What does CL think about these 'RS Type' coilovers?? Any other 400$ range suggestions for a stiff track set up? Car will most likely be on nitto nt-05, 200 wear tires.

Old 02-27-18, 06:14 PM
logix7
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

i wouldnt buy ebay knockoff coils... u can get the tein street basis z for around 450-470. thats what im running
Old 02-27-18, 06:34 PM
Jok3r
Driver School Candidate

From what I've heard about coilovers under 1k they are all very similar. Usually the ebay ones are just renamed/colored megans or something. The factory makes extra shocks and sells them. Then these off brands put different springs on em in different color combos.
anyway I like the tein shocks. But the spring rates are a bit lower at 672f/392r. I'm just wondering how much better they could even be. They may be The Exact same taiwanese/Chinese part. Which would be fine.

Last edited by Jok3r; 02-27-18 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-27-18, 07:48 PM
BlackIRON
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are Gixxer Drews even an option anymore? They almost seem like a fable to me at this point. But then again a setup like that costs much more than this.
Old 03-01-18, 08:30 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

Originally Posted by logix7
i wouldnt buy ebay knockoff coils... u can get the tein street basis z for around 450-470. thats what im running
How are you likin those bad boys after spending a few days with them?
Old 03-01-18, 04:15 PM
logix7
Driver

Originally Posted by RudysSC
How are you likin those bad boys after spending a few days with them?
so far, no complaints. i adjusted the height a few times to get it to where its still practical (not slammed) and then i did the alignment at my shop. ride is noticeably a little stiffer but i was expecting that. theres still plently of room the drop the rear but i got them big ole hams on the back. i'd say the front has another inch or so left to go down if i wanted as well.
The following users liked this post:
RudysSC (03-02-18)
Old 03-01-18, 04:16 PM
logix7
Driver

Originally Posted by Jok3r
From what I've heard about coilovers under 1k they are all very similar. Usually the ebay ones are just renamed/colored megans or something. The factory makes extra shocks and sells them. Then these off brands put different springs on em in different color combos.
anyway I like the tein shocks. But the spring rates are a bit lower at 672f/392r. I'm just wondering how much better they could even be. They may be The Exact same taiwanese/Chinese part. Which would be fine.
ultimately, the choice is yours. just remember..you get what u pay for.
Old 03-02-18, 10:38 AM
Jok3r
Driver School Candidate

Been doing some more research, and i cant find much on the 400$ ebay things.
I'1 looking at D2 coilovers. I hear good things. May up the budget.. the d2s say 18kg and 10kg. Correct me if I'm wrong. That should be good for a wide sticky setup. Any opinions or recomondations in this 900$ range??
Old 03-04-18, 05:49 PM
shajbot
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Look up Parts by Max (PBM) coilovers. They are located in San Diego, CA. Save you on shipping. PBM coils have much higher rate than those and they go LOW. Gixxer Drew coilovers cannot be adjusted to "slam" our cars.

https://store.partsshopmax.com/shop/...ers/COSCV.html
Old 03-04-18, 08:27 PM
Jok3r
Driver School Candidate

30kg and 20kg seems too high. Even for racing. The suspension needs to travel. But with very sticky tires it can grip at higher speeds creating more weight on the spring and compressing it. I don't think I will have the grip or speed to compress 30kg... I need to find a balance. Something that wont have crazy body roll with a nt-04 nitto/hankook rs3 type tire but will not be like riding on blocks. Too stiff makes it slide out.
(I'm sure most of you know this stuff. I'
Just trying to be clear about what I want so I can get the best advice.)
Old 03-04-18, 08:28 PM
Jok3r
Driver School Candidate

from supra forums>>>
Old 03-06-18, 04:28 AM
SupaDoopa
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'Good' and 'budget' don't usually go hand in hand. You can get something decent that'll do it's job but won't hold up to the high demand of hard driving and such for a long time or will and ride like absolute garbage. Suspension components are something you should never skimp on. Save your pennies and get something worth the money. I am running Broadway Static's [Fortune Auto 500's with custom valving/SWIFT springs] and they're amazing. Not cheap but amazing. I've had them on two other cars and they're by far better than anything else I've run. If you're looking to hard park, anything will do the job. If you're looking to hit some corners sideways and track your car, you're doing yourself a disservice.
The following users liked this post:
Blkexcoupe (03-07-18)
Old 03-07-18, 09:03 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 550 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by SupaDoopa
'Good' and 'budget' don't usually go hand in hand. You can get something decent that'll do it's job but won't hold up to the high demand of hard driving and such for a long time or will and ride like absolute garbage. Suspension components are something you should never skimp on. Save your pennies and get something worth the money.
This is the truth and best advice you can get.
Old 03-07-18, 10:47 AM
Jok3r
Driver School Candidate

Yes. But many in the race world will say fortune/ pbm/ Megan's are budget. And kw/konis may work on the cheap side, but should really save for motons/ohlins... so im trying to get a workable coilover for sticky tires on the track without going crazy.
. So I guess my question now is why are bc/kw/fortune-swift better than the d2s I am looking at.
. The d2s seem great for what I want atm. High spring rate with decent shocks, valved for them...

Last edited by Jok3r; 03-07-18 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-07-18, 02:07 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 550 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Jok3r
Yes. But many in the race world will say fortune/ pbm/ Megan's are budget. And kw/konis may work on the cheap side, but should really save for motons/ohlins... so im trying to get a workable coil for sticky tires on the track without going crazy.
. So I guess my question now is why are bc/kw/fortune-swift better than the d2s I am looking at.
. The d2s seem great for what I want atm. High spring rate with decent shocks valves for them...
From a competitive stand point in the race world, those guys are right. Motons are generally accepted as being one of the best. It doesn't mean you need them to be fast, but if want to win and all your competitors are running it...you'll probably end up buying moton too. That's why they recommend saving up for it from the start. It'll be cheaper in the long run.

BC's - I wouldn't consider them better than the d2. They're the same thing in my eyes (others will disagree).
Kw - cheapest 2 way adjustable shock available for our cars
Fortune auto - has USA support for when you need them rebuilt/serviced - this is really important if you plan on racing your car

The reason I agreed with "SupaDoopa" about saving up more and buying a better shock is that you're most likely going to improve and need to upgrade your suspension in the future. You should save up now and buy the better option from the start. That way you'll have a solid base to build your skills on and won't have to upgrade later (only rebuild). I'm not saying you have to buy the best, but once you go up to about $1300-1500 your options open up to a lot of good companies that offer custom setups (like Fortune auto and Feal suspension).

Quick Reply: Budget track/drift coilover