Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Budget track/drift coilover

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-18, 12:07 AM
Jok3r
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm. Ok thanks. That' good to know.
Old 03-08-18, 06:20 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

These guys make a good point. However, the BC's or the D2's will work just fine for what you're currently planning on using them for. You may progress and want to upgrade in the future, however, many of us won't see the track time to really warrant buying multi-thousand dollar coilovers to gain a competitive advantage. I hit the local road course 2-3 times per year. I've done so on cut springs, stock suspension, nice coil overs, or simple lowering spring/shock combos. And you know what, I wasn't and never will be the fastest, but god damnit I love being out on the track!

Say you do compete regularly and the advantage is worth it - then go play with the big boys and buy the nice stuff.
Old 03-08-18, 10:07 AM
Jok3r
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^^Exactly! This car is pure good times. Make sure to check out my build thread for the updates. I' sure I will post here with a review of my coilover choice. Thanks CL dudes!
Old 03-08-18, 10:50 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by RudysSC
These guys make a good point. However, the BC's or the D2's will work just fine for what you're currently planning on using them for. You may progress and want to upgrade in the future, however, many of us won't see the track time to really warrant buying multi-thousand dollar coilovers to gain a competitive advantage. I hit the local road course 2-3 times per year. I've done so on cut springs, stock suspension, nice coil overs, or simple lowering spring/shock combos. And you know what, I wasn't and never will be the fastest, but god damnit I love being out on the track!

Say you do compete regularly and the advantage is worth it - then go play with the big boys and buy the nice stuff.
I agree with you, any suspension will get the job done for now. "rxrodger" does endurance racing in his car on the tein street basis coils because of class restrictions (no shock dampening allowed). He said there was no improvement over spring + shock combo initially. I believe he said it started to improve once he dialed in the alignment.

My opinion is that the best value starts around $1,300. All the cheaper ones will leave something to be desired.
The following users liked this post:
RudysSC (03-08-18)
Old 05-10-18, 06:29 AM
SupaDoopa
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't harp on it enough - key suspension links cannot be skimped on. If you want to go to Taco Bell and sit an inch off the ground with your friends and do the occasional donut, you have no reason and justification of spending the money of a decent coil. If you are planning on driving the car through the corners where being parallel with the ground is important such as drift or autocross, spending the money on a budget coil is a huge waste of money. I know it may not be what you want to hear because most people are impatient and want their buds to see how cool and low their car is as fast as possible but you'll regret it. I promise you.