Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Problem with SuperPro Sway Bar Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-18, 11:49 PM
98GSOwner
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Problem with SuperPro Sway Bar Install

I recently purchased a set of SuperPro sway bars for my 98 GS4. They are 30mm, 18mm solid bars. I installed the front one this evening and was very frustrated to find that the mounting holes for the right (passenger side) end link bolts do not line up properly. To confirm my install, the bar has collars which keep it from moving from side to side, and the driver's side end link is mounted (pic 3). The nut is installed on the passenger side endlink with the link positioned as far to the right (in pic 1) as possible, and there is no gap between the end link and bar (pic 2). But..... look at the hole alignment on on the outside mounting point...... The SuperPro end link mounting holes are much larger than the stock bar's holes to provide some "slop" for the bolts, but that was still not enough. Here are my choices:

1) Enlarge the hole on the inboard bolt to provide even more "slop" for the outboard bolt to fit. That chews up the power coat in that area, and I wasn't thrilled with the larger holes to begin with.
2) Return this one and hope that a replacement SuperPro bar is a better fit.
3) Put the stocker back on. (I did this short-term until I finalize my decision).
4) Buy a set of Megan Racing bars. In the online pics, it sure looks like the Megan bar is built to tighter tolerances given that the end-link holes look smaller like the stock bar. Megan bars are 32mm, 19mm hollow, and about $150 less expensive.

I would be appreciative of any input. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails Problem with SuperPro Sway Bar Install-image1-14-.jpeg   Problem with SuperPro Sway Bar Install-image3-7-.jpeg   Problem with SuperPro Sway Bar Install-image2-10-.jpeg  
Old 02-19-18, 06:18 AM
BiGEZ
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 114 Posts

I would ask for an exchange with a set that has the correct mounting holes.
The following users liked this post:
98GSOwner (02-23-18)
Old 02-19-18, 09:15 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

5)BUY the TRD blues and have 0 issues....
Old 02-23-18, 12:11 PM
98GSOwner
Driver

Thanks BigEZ for the logical response. I was ticked when I realized the issue was stopping my install and requiring me to reinstall my old bar in the interim. I'm awaiting a response from SuperPro - will keep you updated.
Sakataj - The TRD blues were discontinued many years ago I believe, which would leave used parts as an option. The blues are also stiffer than the SuperPros based on what I've read and I'm worried about blowing out stock end-links as it is. That is why I decided to replace my original shocks with Bilstein HD (B6) first to share the load on the end-links with the shocks. (I'm staying on stock springs - don't want a lowered car).

I will post updates on the resolution and my install and before/after perceptions.
Old 02-23-18, 04:17 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by 98GSOwner
I recently purchased a set of SuperPro sway bars for my 98 GS4. They are 30mm, 18mm solid bars. I installed the front one this evening and was very frustrated to find that the mounting holes for the right (passenger side) end link bolts do not line up properly. To confirm my install, the bar has collars which keep it from moving from side to side, and the driver's side end link is mounted (pic 3). The nut is installed on the passenger side endlink with the link positioned as far to the right (in pic 1) as possible, and there is no gap between the end link and bar (pic 2). But..... look at the hole alignment on on the outside mounting point...... The SuperPro end link mounting holes are much larger than the stock bar's holes to provide some "slop" for the bolts, but that was still not enough. Here are my choices:

1) Enlarge the hole on the inboard bolt to provide even more "slop" for the outboard bolt to fit. That chews up the power coat in that area, and I wasn't thrilled with the larger holes to begin with.
2) Return this one and hope that a replacement SuperPro bar is a better fit.
3) Put the stocker back on. (I did this short-term until I finalize my decision).
4) Buy a set of Megan Racing bars. In the online pics, it sure looks like the Megan bar is built to tighter tolerances given that the end-link holes look smaller like the stock bar. Megan bars are 32mm, 19mm hollow, and about $150 less expensive.

I would be appreciative of any input. Thank you!
You would of probably had a better fitment with the Megan Racing instead. To be off by that much in hole spacing is bad.
Old 02-25-18, 03:58 PM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
You would of probably had a better fitment with the Megan Racing instead. To be off by that much in hole spacing is bad.
Do you have any experience with the Megan rear sway bars? My TRD blue snapped so I need a new rear bar
Old 02-25-18, 07:09 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
Do you have any experience with the Megan rear sway bars? My TRD blue snapped so I need a new rear bar

I don't have experience with the sways. I did have the EZII coilovers, and FUCA arms on my GS400. They were of great quality with nice welds, and beefy steel tubing. Isn't the TRD a solid 19mm bar? I've seen posts of a CL member using the Emmusa sways. He claimed they worked very well for him. As far as I know the bars themselves were hollow front, and rear.
Old 02-26-18, 04:46 AM
captainva
Instructor

I don't have experience with the sways. I did have the EZII coilovers, and FUCA arms on my GS400. They were of great quality with nice welds, and beefy steel tubing. Isn't the TRD a solid 19mm bar? I've seen posts of a CL member using the Emmusa sways. He claimed they worked very well for him. As far as I know the bars themselves were hollow front, and rear.
The front is solid from the what but I understand but the rears are hollow apparently

Old 02-26-18, 05:27 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

I would go with the Megan's now. Looking at the pictures the ends are pretty much a 90 degree bend on the TRD. The Megan's have a bigger bend radius towards the end mounting points.
Old 02-26-18, 06:04 AM
captainva
Instructor

I would go with the Megan's now. Looking at the pictures the ends are pretty much a 90 degree bend on the TRD. The Megan's have a bigger bend radius towards the end mounting points.
Thanks for the advice. I emailed Figs and asked them if they would just sell me a rear bar so we'll see. I'd rather have a solid rear sway bar than another hollow one.
Old 03-02-18, 08:41 PM
98GSOwner
Driver

Update: My contact at SuperPro was very responsive, and they will be sending me a new front sway bar that has been checked to ensure it meets spec. I’ll post my install notes when I get there.....