Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Car swaying like a yacht NEED HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-10, 02:43 PM
Murvilboy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car swaying like a yacht NEED HELP!!!

Ok my SC's body has about 236k miles on it. I really think no one ever replaced any bushing in the chassis. I drove it home today after work and i can hold the steering wheel straight and the back end will sway back and forth. This will happen at about 40-50 mph and its really noticable in the rain. Considering it was pouring on the way home I really noticed it and had a few scary moments and it trying to send me off to head on traffic. On this particular drive, I noticed it would feel like the back end would trail the front of the car sideways. I have tried messing with the backend before and tried to get it to move with the car jacked up but cannot seem to replicate the results. Anyone have any idea on what this could be? Im desparate for answers need to get this fixed before it gets worse. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 11-30-10, 02:48 PM
SLowEvo
Rookie

WOW that happened to me yesterday!!! when is the last time you had an alignment?
Old 11-30-10, 02:52 PM
hovsc400
Pole Position

alignment is a good start and check all the suspension components, shocks, springs, etc. and wht kind of condition is your tires in
Old 11-30-10, 06:18 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wheel bearings? That would deff cause a sway!
Old 11-30-10, 06:37 PM
NEbiker10
Lexus Test Driver

Alignment is the most common cause for sway and having a car act like a boat. If you haven't had an alignment in a year or two I would do that and balance your tires...can make the world of difference. Also bounced test ur suspension on all for wheels...make sure its tight
Old 11-30-10, 08:15 PM
Murvilboy
Driver

ok well i bought the car in march of 2010 and i know i havent taken it for an alignment. I know the guy who had the car before the guy i bought it from (previous 2 owners) cut the factory springs to lower it on stock struts. i know my outer tie rod ends are shot could they contribute to this situation?
Old 11-30-10, 08:25 PM
moosejaw2
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be your sway bars came loose like my car did when i put on my coilovers
Literally the bolt came off .
My car was swaying like I was on a boat

Jack up your car and do a quick inspection
Old 11-30-10, 08:25 PM
ScJz
Driver

Originally Posted by Murvilboy
ok well i bought the car in march of 2010 and i know i havent taken it for an alignment. I know the guy who had the car before the guy i bought it from (previous 2 owners) cut the factory springs to lower it on stock struts. i know my outer tie rod ends are shot could they contribute to this situation?
Hmmm...Well being that the tie-rods are part of your steering components, they could def' cause a sway if they are bad ( not saying thats your problem though). If they are shot then most places won't do the alignment until they are replaced. The alignment machine will give wrong readings cause your tire will not be "sitting still". Jack up your car and shake the front wheels side to side. Bad tie rods will cause the wheel to move side to side and sitting on the alignment rack they may not be sitting straight. Also cutting the springs could cause a sway also being that they were made to support the full length spring and now they are only supporting half of one

Hope this helps
Old 11-30-10, 08:55 PM
4thHorsemn
Pole Position

Replace the rear wheel bearings....
Old 11-30-10, 09:06 PM
Toastt
Pole Position

Swaying, really noticeable in rain, scary moments. Sounds like bald tires to me lol
Old 12-01-10, 12:15 AM
ric4044
Driver School Candidate

Check your front suspension first (shocks, lower control arm bushings, sway bar links, etc..) There's no sense in getting an alignment if any of those components are shot. Once you change the bushings or shocks, you'll have to have it re-aligned again anyway. 1st dead give away of bad alignment is wear to the outside or inside of your tires. 1st give away to bad bushings, shocks, etc would be excessive noise - squeaking, rattling, creeking; especially going over bumps.
Old 12-01-10, 06:21 AM
SLowEvo
Rookie

for me I had the same tires since I had the car for about 3 months now but it started swaying after I dropped it so I'm thinking its the alignment.. plus my steering wheel isnt completely straight when I'm im driving straight.
Old 12-01-10, 07:48 AM
510sc
Pole Position

check your tires if no meat then yeah it would go side to side...happened to me before switched out my tires next day.
Old 12-01-10, 10:44 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

My car pretty much slides down the highway.... but my tires are so bald that the wires are showing. It's not too much fun going over 15 mph...
Old 12-01-10, 11:22 AM
SChema
Lexus Champion

If the previous owner lowered the car by cutting springs, chances are the struts are blown. Lowering cars by cutting springs or lowering springs shortens the life of struts. Tie rod ends being bad will cause abnormal steering input. So if the back end is swaying and you are trying to counter it with steering, you may be applying too much input due to bad tie rod ends; therefore, increasing this swaying sensation.

Quick Reply: Car swaying like a yacht NEED HELP!!!