Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Worn rear tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-18, 02:46 PM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worn rear tires

Alignment been updated but rear tires are wearing way to soon.What is the problem.Do i need to replace my lower control arms or upper.Or do both need changing or is it something else.
Old 01-29-18, 03:36 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts

youll usually get uneven tire wear if there is a problem. ive never heard of even tire wear when there is an alignment or suspension issue. what tires do you have and how many miles are you getting out of them?
Old 01-29-18, 05:22 PM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vteruni
youll usually get uneven tire wear if there is a problem. ive never heard of even tire wear when there is an alignment or suspension issue. what tires do you have and how many miles are you getting out of them?
Sorry,i'm getting uneven wear.
Old 01-29-18, 07:59 PM
- V -
Instructor

ah in that case does your car wobble or misbehave in any way at any speed, specifically high speed? have a mechanic check your drive axles in the back. Check for flat spots on the tire as well, flat spots could mean failing suspension parts, usually shocks. If the inner or outer part of your tire is wearing faster than the rest you may be dealing with a camber issue. The mechanics are supposed to check for that when they do alignment but they screw up too sometimes, may be worth having that checked out as well. A bad wheel bearing can also cause uneven tire wear and is also dangerous. Just in case you can also check for a seized up caliper in the back, youd likely notice that fairly easily while driving but better safe than sorry you know. Thats all i can think of at the moment
Old 02-01-18, 02:28 PM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

ah in that case does your car wobble or misbehave in any way at any speed, specifically high speed? have a mechanic check your drive axles in the back. Check for flat spots on the tire as well, flat spots could mean failing suspension parts, usually shocks. If the inner or outer part of your tire is wearing faster than the rest you may be dealing with a camber issue. The mechanics are supposed to check for that when they do alignment but they screw up too sometimes, may be worth having that checked out as well. A bad wheel bearing can also cause uneven tire wear and is also dangerous. Just in case you can also check for a seized up caliper in the back, youd likely notice that fairly easily while driving but better safe than sorry you know. Thats all i can think of at the moment
I haven't noticed any wobbling but i don't drive the car much.The inner part of the tire is wearing faster than the rest of the tire.I got a brand new set of tires put on today and alignment done.Is it upper or lower control arms than need replacing when this happens and where can i get a decent set if i need to replace?And it's the rear tires if i didn't mention it.

Last edited by matrixgts; 02-01-18 at 02:30 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 02-01-18, 04:41 PM
- V -
Instructor

the inner wearing faster usually means a camber issue. bad control arms could cause this but you should check them before going straight to replacement, lift the back of the car in the air and try to move the tire up and down, side to side, in and out and see if you can get it to wobble or move at all. If they do something in there is bad. I dont really know where the best place to get arms is but rear arms arent hard to find, just search on here or google and you will get some hits. Also all of this is irrelevant if your car has been lowered because when you lower the car you mess with the suspension geometry which will cause premature and uneven tire wear and the lower you go to worse it gets.
Old 02-01-18, 07:47 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Bad toe setting usually results in accelerated inner tire wear as well. From what I recall hearing, it causes more abnormal wear than negative camber.
Old 02-02-18, 11:20 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Do you have a picture of the worn tire?

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
Bad toe setting usually results in accelerated inner tire wear as well. From what I recall hearing, it causes more abnormal wear than negative camber.
This is true. Toe wears tires at a significantly higher rate, but the type of wear is different. Camber wear will make the inside shoulder of the tire wear faster, but toe wear causes the tire to have a tapered wear causing the tire to look like it has feathers (depending on tread design).
Old 02-02-18, 07:08 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Listen to the guy that says toe. You probably have worn toe arms. Typical wear item on these cars. Your alignment guy probably didn’t catch it. It’s hard to catch so don’t blame him too harshly. Do you notice the back of the car is kind of twitchy at times, maybe even going straight? If so, toe arms. Lots of aftermarket options.
Old 02-04-18, 05:41 AM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

the inner wearing faster usually means a camber issue. bad control arms could cause this but you should check them before going straight to replacement, lift the back of the car in the air and try to move the tire up and down, side to side, in and out and see if you can get it to wobble or move at all. If they do something in there is bad. I dont really know where the best place to get arms is but rear arms arent hard to find, just search on here or google and you will get some hits. Also all of this is irrelevant if your car has been lowered because when you lower the car you mess with the suspension geometry which will cause premature and uneven tire wear and the lower you go to worse it gets.
Thanks for the lnfo and help.The car is not lowered but it do have 20" rims which i will never buy again.
Old 02-04-18, 05:48 AM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
Thanks i'll look into that but this is a really slow process.I'm gone all wk and sometime Saturdays so not much time.
Old 02-04-18, 05:58 AM
matrixgts
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXRodger
Listen to the guy that says toe. You probably have worn toe arms. Typical wear item on these cars. Your alignment guy probably didn’t catch it. It’s hard to catch so don’t blame him too harshly. Do you notice the back of the car is kind of twitchy at times, maybe even going straight? If so, toe arms. Lots of aftermarket options.
Thanks,i will check the toe.
Old 02-06-18, 09:15 PM
shajbot
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Look up Lance alignment for Supra/SC chassis. He has rear toe almost zero (0.090 degree each side). Stock SC rear toe has double or triple that amount.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-97-sc300.html

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/lance_alignment/index.html
Old 02-07-18, 05:59 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by shajbot
Look up Lance alignment for Supra/SC chassis. He has rear toe almost zero (0.090 degree each side). Stock SC rear toe has double or triple that amount.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-97-sc300.html

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/lance_alignment/index.html
Actually toe is usually expressed in a dimension, not angle. The stock setting is 0.177" total toe in, which side to side would be 0.089". And that is not almost zero, it is pretty significant.
Old 02-07-18, 09:43 PM
shajbot
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RXRodger
Actually toe is usually expressed in a dimension, not angle. The stock setting is 0.177" total toe in, which side to side would be 0.089". And that is not almost zero, it is pretty significant.
That’s exactly my point. Stock setting of 0.177” total toe is pretty significant and with worn out soft bushings on our aging cars, acceleration or straight line freeway driving can mean even more induced toe-in.

Lance’s alignment recommends less total toe-in vs stock and I think this would help in preventing excessive rear tire wear. Just be careful letting your alignment tech know you want rear toe setting to be out of range closer to centerline.

Quick Reply: Worn rear tires