Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Worn rear tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-18, 09:35 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tires wearing on the inside due to toe means she's running duck footed and needs toe in. If worn on the outside then to much toe in and needs let out. Due to the wishbone rear suspension in our cars alignment is just as critical as the front. When I first got my SC I couldn't keep a rear set of tires on it and she was quite squirrelly. It took 2 tries to get it to stop that and we over adjusted toe in to compensate for worn suspension. Kept setting it then drive down the road then put it back on the machine till it would stay where needed. Even had to bend old toe arms to help in adjustment. Since then I rebushed control arms with poly bushings and tires wear ok. I plan to put adjustable aftermarket Lca's, toe arms and links on it with new aftermarket uppers from Toyolex (NAS) so rear can be fine tuned easily. This is a commen problem with these old girls once they get a lot of miles on them and need rebuilt. Good luck with your problem and hope you get it fixed as tires are expensive.
Old 02-10-18, 06:47 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by shajbot

That’s exactly my point. Stock setting of 0.177” total toe is pretty significant and with worn out soft bushings on our aging cars, acceleration or straight line freeway driving can mean even more induced toe-in.

Lance’s alignment recommends less total toe-in vs stock and I think this would help in preventing excessive rear tire wear. Just be careful letting your alignment tech know you want rear toe setting to be out of range closer to centerline.
Depends on what you are doing with the car. More toe in the rear makes the car more predictable, so we usually set the race car up with a little over 1/4” total toe-in on the rear. You don’t see that much tire wear at that setting, so the difference between stock and Lance’s alignment shouldn’t result in much difference in tire wear. But remember with all the loose components in an older system, under acceleration all of the toe in is likely to stretch out. Also remember toe out in the rear makes for twitchy handling. Always better to have toe in from a predictability standpoint.