Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Duralast Gold Brake Pads, thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-18, 11:54 PM
pewterss
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Duralast Gold Brake Pads, thoughts.

So normally I buy pads from ebay,..... Lexus OEM from the dealer in AZ. But this time around I was in a pinch and needed brakes. So I bought Wagner QS, they seem great. now I drove to Vegas and decided to check the pads in the rear, and there pretty damn low, ssooooooooo I purchased some Duralast Golds tonight. Guy was even like once they wear out, bring them back for a free replacement. I was like umm what...lol I am just curious for those of you that have the Duralast Gold pads, any issues with them from your experience. Thanks much in advance.

-J

Last edited by pewterss; 01-27-18 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-28-18, 09:01 AM
pewterss
Driver

Thumbs up

Well got them installed, so far so good. They bite nicely and no squeaks.
Old 01-28-18, 10:34 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by pewterss
Well got them installed, so far so good. They bite nicely and no squeaks.
I've used them before on my older vehicles. They hold up well over time. I would recommend the Akebono pads for next time. You can find them at RockAuto.com
The following users liked this post:
SeanO (01-31-18)
Old 01-28-18, 03:02 PM
pewterss
Driver

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
I've used them before on my older vehicles. They hold up well over time. I would recommend the Akebono pads for next time. You can find them at RockAuto.com
Thanks for the suggestion. Will most def give them a try at the next change. When I was searching here if anyone had input on the Duralast I saw a bunch of you guys using them.
For future ref I'm posting the link to them here:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....444563&jsn=408
Old 01-31-18, 01:22 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Been ordering a lot of parts for some of my other vehicles off of Rock Auto lately, good prices even when shipping to canada and great selection..

I'll probably purchase pads from there for the Lex this spring
Old 02-03-18, 05:38 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a set of gold rear pads waiting to be installed. Let us know how they hold up and if they start to squeak.
Old 02-03-18, 06:34 PM
AARONHL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who goes to vatozone if the akebono pads are only like $40? I did a front brake job (rotors and pads) for like $140 shipped using the Centric rotors and akebnono pads. Hard to find a better setup for the price....
Old 02-06-18, 10:11 AM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

lol vatozone! I bought gold pads for my beater cars with no issues but you should surely put a more quality pad in there for the lexus.
squeaking is usually due to poor lubrication on the shims and improper bedding/break-in.
Old 02-17-18, 09:32 PM
bryceis250
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

whats the basis for your Akebono recommendation? just curious. I too am looking to buy better brakes and rotors but feel overwhelmed with all the different prices and brands
Old 02-17-18, 09:39 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bryceis250
whats the basis for your Akebono recommendation? just curious. I too am looking to buy better brakes and rotors but feel overwhelmed with all the different prices and brands
This thread is from the LS forums. It best describes the Akebono pads in general.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017/616635-akebono-ceramic-brake-pads-the-who-why-and-where-to-get-them-at-a-great-price.html
The following users liked this post:
bryceis250 (02-20-18)
Old 03-09-18, 01:42 AM
pewterss
Driver

Thanks for the suggestion. Will most def give them a try at the next change. When I was searching here if anyone had input on the Duralast I saw a bunch of you guys using them.
For future ref I'm posting the link to them here:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....444563&jsn=408
ok so here's an update. These pads really blow. They work as in they STOP the car. Buuuuutttt, serious amounts of brake dust and after about a 1000k miles, squeaks. I'm getting ready to replace them soon, can't stand the noise. #$%&@#

I think this time around, I'm gonna also paint the calipers then the new brakes. Sunset Orange color or that burnt Orange.
Old 03-09-18, 07:56 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

ok so here's an update. These pads really blow. They work as in they STOP the car. Buuuuutttt, serious amounts of brake dust and after about a 1000k miles, squeaks. I'm getting ready to replace them soon, can't stand the noise. #$%&@#

I think this time around, I'm gonna also paint the calipers then the new brakes. Sunset Orange color or that burnt Orange.
Did you get the brake rotors resurfaced? Also did you properly bed the brakes in?
Old 03-09-18, 01:18 PM
pewterss
Driver

Did you get the brake rotors resurfaced? Also did you properly bed the brakes in?
no and yes. I don't usually get them resurfaced, and never had an issue. I know it's best to do it for optimum brake performance, BUT you don't lose that much and the rotors aren't warped. If they were then I'd get them resurfaced.
as for bedding them in, yes def did.
Old 03-09-18, 01:44 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

no and yes. I don't usually get them resurfaced, and never had an issue. I know it's best to do it for optimum brake performance, BUT you don't lose that much and the rotors aren't warped. If they were then I'd get them resurfaced.
as for bedding them in, yes def did.
Last week I installed some raybestos hybrids. My rears we're also worn down after 2 years. Bed the new ones in so far so good on non resurfaced rotors.

Here are some links on the Duralast. Even some ISF guys seem to run them for their low dust. I had them on a GS400 which is a heavy car, and didn't experience problems. Akebonos they did squeak sometimes in the morning like once on the IS250. Which is because the rotors tend to rust overnight some. Now I'm running the Hybrids the humidity will be here soon in Texas. So time will tell if they Squeak in the mornings. As they are part ceramic, and metallic blend.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/850768-affordable-front-brake-job.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/827239-installed-new-pads-however-not-making-full-contact-on-rotor.html
Old 04-24-18, 02:56 PM
pewterss
Driver

Last week I installed some raybestos hybrids. My rears we're also worn down after 2 years. Bed the new ones in so far so good on non resurfaced rotors.

Here are some links on the Duralast. Even some ISF guys seem to run them for their low dust. I had them on a GS400 which is a heavy car, and didn't experience problems. Akebonos they did squeak sometimes in the morning like once on the IS250. Which is because the rotors tend to rust overnight some. Now I'm running the Hybrids the humidity will be here soon in Texas. So time will tell if they Squeak in the mornings. As they are part ceramic, and metallic blend.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...brake-job.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-on-rotor.html
Just wanted to post an update here and also thank MikeFig for the post. So I have the Duralast Golds in the rear, and Wagners in the front. Between these 2 sets I have to say I like the Wagners better mainly because of the dust level. When I get home later today, I will take a quick pic of the fronts and rears so you can all see. The fronts (Wagner) have minimal amts of dust, the rears (Duralast Gold) have a good deal of dust, almost looks like I have black chrome... so maybe its cool ha
I think in a few months I will buy new rotors for the front, and rear and either go back to OEM, or go with AKEBONO's that many of you have suggested from my post and from others I have read when searching the forum for AKEBONO, really like what I have been reading.

Quick Reply: Duralast Gold Brake Pads, thoughts.