Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

2011 IS250 Front brakes question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-17, 02:16 PM
bouldernat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 IS250 Front brakes question.

I am replacing pads and rotors on my 2011 IS250 AWD. In going to parts stores they have options for US and Canadian manufactured cars, but according to the dealer based on my VIN, mine is made in Japan. I am replacing front rotors and pads, and as far as I can tell I have the correct parts. However, in doing the reassembly I observed that the pad retaining clips were interfering on the rotor - the gap that spans the rotor is barely too small and the clips are dragging on the rotor as a result. Note: these are the retaining clips, and NOT the backer plate attached to the pad, that one would put disc brake quiet on. As a double check, I have done a bunch of research based on the OEM part numbers provided by the dealership, and as far as I can tell, I have the correct part numbers. I have done a stack up of the caliper, the pads and the rotors, and everything fits together with plenty of clearance. The clips are the only thing that don't quite fit right. The odd thing is that they are exactly the same as the old clips that I removed. In doing some more research in this forum I see that someone posted there are premium rotors that are 1.16"" thick, and ultra-premium that are 1.260 thick. I am wondering if anyone else has run in to this problem. Before posting I spent some time going through the forum and didn't see exactly what i was looking for. Thus the new post. T.I.A. for any assistance.
Old 12-05-17, 11:36 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

They are referring to where the car was manufactured for, not where it was actually manufactured. All Lexus models except some RX's are made in Japan. Was your car destined for the US or Canada, if you're in the US, most likely it was destined for the US.

The front brakes on 2009+ IS250's for the US have 32mm thick rotors with directional cooling vanes and appropriate calipers/pads/etc. to match. Other countries continued to use the 28mm rotors and high-friction pads.

Not sure exactly why your clips aren't fitting correctly, however if you have the correct parts and the clips are the same as they were before, my guess would likely be that you're trying to install them in the wrong position or similar. Maybe you can check out some pictures of someone else's 2009+ IS250 US-spec front brakes and double check.

Jeff