Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Mechanic Recommendation for Front Struts Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-17, 10:46 AM
ZE123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanic Recommendation for Front Struts Replacement

Hello folks!

I just realized my front struts are leaking and will need to be replaced soon. I just recently moved to South Bay - LA (Torrance) area so it will be great if you can recommend any good, trustworthy mechanic around the area who I should consider before I waste my money on the dealers.

Also, how much am I looking at to get the job done which will include parts+labor+alignment? One shop around the neighborhood gave me a quote of $1K - is that really that time-consuming job?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Z
Old 10-24-17, 10:53 AM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ZE123
Hello folks!

I just realized my front struts are leaking and will need to be replaced soon. I just recently moved to South Bay - LA (Torrance) area so it will be great if you can recommend any good, trustworthy mechanic around the area who I should consider before I waste my money on the dealers.

Also, how much am I looking at to get the job done which will include parts+labor+alignment? One shop around the neighborhood gave me a quote of $1K - is that really that time-consuming job?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Z
$1k seems a bit much, that's dealer ship price right there. It's pretty time consuming if you're doing it yourself but shouldn't take the shop more than 2 hours to do just the fronts.
Old 10-24-17, 03:43 PM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

That’s definitely steep. Buy some coils and call it a day. It will save labor due to not removing the springs from the shock assembly. Out with the old , in with the new. It’s only a matter if time until the rears go as well so better to do it all at once. So that may be the best option. Also try posting in the regional section for your location and see if someone has any recommendations.
Old 10-26-17, 08:36 PM
F18driver
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depending on use dictates the "way to go" for replacement/mods. My car is an everyday driver with no plans for lowering or other performance mods. I ordered my replacement shocks and shock mounts from RockAuto, both front and rear. I did the labor myself except that I used a local shop here in south OC to swap the springs and mounts. One hour labor for both front and rears.

Good luck!
Old 10-27-17, 09:27 AM
XSV
Instructor

Originally Posted by F18driver
Depending on use dictates the "way to go" for replacement/mods. My car is an everyday driver with no plans for lowering or other performance mods. I ordered my replacement shocks and shock mounts from RockAuto, both front and rear. I did the labor myself except that I used a local shop here in south OC to swap the springs and mounts. One hour labor for both front and rears.

Good luck!
Take with a grain of salt how long it takes to do it yourself. It took me a day and a half to install my coilovers, and that's with the proper tools. Maybe I just have more difficulties than others?
Old 11-15-17, 08:30 AM
markleyj32
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bbaugher47
That’s definitely steep. Buy some coils and call it a day. It will save labor due to not removing the springs from the shock assembly. Out with the old , in with the new. It’s only a matter if time until the rears go as well so better to do it all at once. So that may be the best option. Also try posting in the regional section for your location and see if someone has any recommendations.

o7 is250 question

What would you recommend for coil overs without any modifications. Coil overs are just for the front right? And like you said I mine as well take care of the back to. There shot. Are they coil overs aswell? I'll purchase everything and have my shop replace them.
Old 11-15-17, 03:59 PM
XSV
Instructor

Originally Posted by markleyj32
o7 is250 question

What would you recommend for coil overs without any modifications. Coil overs are just for the front right? And like you said I mine as well take care of the back to. There shot. Are they coil overs aswell? I'll purchase everything and have my shop replace them.
If you dont plan on lowering your car, you can just replace the shocks. Coilovers are good if you plan to lower your car because you can adjust the height to your preference and you can also adjust the stiffness of the suspension. If you choose coilovers, it's best you go ahead and buy the full set.
Old 11-21-17, 07:42 AM
SparksLex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If one is just to do the shocks, is OEM the best way to go? I'm trying to get the best of both worlds in terms of comfort and stability. No need to lower the car.
Old 11-21-17, 08:49 AM
XSV
Instructor

Originally Posted by SparksLex
If one is just to do the shocks, is OEM the best way to go? I'm trying to get the best of both worlds in terms of comfort and stability. No need to lower the car.
Yeah, OEM is fine.