Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Creaking/popping when turning with brakes on??

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-17, 12:38 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Creaking/popping when turning with brakes on??

At slow speeds when turning the wheel and braking, I hear a distinct creaking or popping sound coming from the left front wheel area. Usually about three pops or creaks in succession. I'm guessing something connected to the steering/suspension arms or brake armature is causing this, but unsure. I feel no other strange things, just the sound. Been happening for about a year now, and getting louder. Any ideas?
Old 10-21-17, 07:38 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Ball joints - lower and upper ball joints. Just a forewarning they aren't cheap
The following users liked this post:
Fizzboy7 (10-21-17)
Old 10-21-17, 09:03 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Aspect
Ball joints - lower and upper ball joints. Just a forewarning they aren't cheap
Great... that's just not what I wanted to hear. Is there a spot for more info on these? What is the tell-tail sign? I want to narrow it down to this and be sure. And about how long on average should these pieces have lasted? I only have 53000 miles. Is it something that needs immediate attention? Or does letting it go for longer cause further damage elsewhere? Thanks for the info.
Old 10-22-17, 06:25 AM
Aspect
Racer

I'm not sure of the official ways to tell, but for me...

For my upper ball joint control arm assembly - If you have the ability to remove your wheel, you can do so, then literally grab the knuckle and start pulling and tugging on it is what I did and I noticed it shifting around(they were basically gone) - also can start your car accelerate quickly for a second then slam the brakes and if you feel a pop or hear a consistent clunk - or if you're more mechanically inclined you can separate the upper control arm from the knuckle and try moving the ball joint around, if it moves very easily then you'll need a replacement, also if there's oil leaking out there's that too.

For the lower ball joints I needed the opinion of my mechanic to do an inspection... not sure how he knew but he told me I needed to replace the lower ball joints in the front and it solved the problem. Looking for oil/grease leaks and play are generally good guidelines for ball joints.

The only other things I could think of is the common BC racing coilover clunking issue, loose strut tower bolts, loose sway bar links, brake components, or in the worst case CV axles - but you'd know if it's CV with the crazy amount of popping and clunking at all times.
Old 10-24-17, 01:38 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks again for all that good info! Time to visit my mechanic and see what's going on. Still a bit surprised such a thing popped up at 53k miles. Would having F-Sport springs make a difference? Everything else is stock.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 10-25-17 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-24-17, 05:19 AM
Aspect
Racer

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Thanks again for all that good info! Time to visit my mechanic and see what's going on. Still a bit surprised such a thing popped up at 53k miles. Would hainge F-Sport springs make a difference? Everything else is stock.
I don't really think so. I may have come across a thread regarding the springs being noisy or something but I doubt that's the case. You'd have to search that one up on your own.
Old 10-25-17, 11:01 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

OP - do you have an AWD model 2IS? If so, look into the half shaft on the side making the noise.
Old 10-25-17, 09:01 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Have 2WD. Had the noisy springs when they were first released, but Lexus replaced them.
Old 10-26-17, 11:13 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I'd look at the sway bar end links first. But while down there, look at everything of course.

Good luck!
Old 10-27-17, 02:09 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks all for the help! Very cool.
Old 10-29-17, 07:12 AM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
I'd look at the sway bar end links first. But while down there, look at everything of course.

Good luck!
If the noise is occurring while turning, I'm thinking it's the ball joint. I accidentally over torqued my front right sway bar link bottom bolt and snapped the nut right off. For a week I drove around with a broken sway bar end link. It would rattle on uneven roads and bumps but no noise on smooth roads. It's funny how the right side was broken but the noise came from the driver side.

Is this is what happening to you?
Old 10-29-17, 06:30 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XSV
If the noise is occurring while turning, I'm thinking it's the ball joint. I accidentally over torqued my front right sway bar link bottom bolt and snapped the nut right off. For a week I drove around with a broken sway bar end link. It would rattle on uneven roads and bumps but no noise on smooth roads. It's funny how the right side was broken but the noise came from the driver side.

Is this is what happening to you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0evGYOpEXGw
Thanks for the video, that was very enlightening. However, 100% not the sound. Mine is more of a very consistent and evenly spaced "pop" or high-pitch "creak" that rips off about three or four in a row, everytime I come into my parking space with the brake on, and turning right.
Old 10-29-17, 07:19 PM
AARONHL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can the is250 ball joints be pressed out on the car? They sell the ball joint separately so you dont have to buy the whole hub?
Old 10-29-17, 07:59 PM
XSV
Instructor

Originally Posted by AARONHL
Can the is250 ball joints be pressed out on the car? They sell the ball joint separately so you dont have to buy the whole hub?
yes 10 char
Old 10-29-17, 08:00 PM
XSV
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Thanks for the video, that was very enlightening. However, 100% not the sound. Mine is more of a very consistent and evenly spaced "pop" or high-pitch "creak" that rips off about three or four in a row, everytime I come into my parking space with the brake on, and turning right.
I'm thinking it's the ball joint

Quick Reply: Creaking/popping when turning with brakes on??