Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Front LCA, Prothane bushing metal sleeve seems to short.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-17, 04:41 PM
emLEX
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Front LCA, Prothane bushing metal sleeve seems to short.

Burned the old bushings out, cleaned the bores very well and greased them liberally. Had a little trouble getting the new bushing into the front ear, had to beat it pretty hard with a hammer and wooden block. The rear ear bushing went in a little easier. Anyway, if you look at the photos, the metal sleeves in the center of the bushings look too short. Maybe i'm wrong, but I would think the metal sleeve should be slightly longer so the poly bushing doesn't get pinched when the bolt is tightened. Any insight would be appreciated.

Old 09-23-17, 03:56 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by emLEX
Burned the old bushings out, cleaned the bores very well and greased them liberally. Had a little trouble getting the new bushing into the front ear, had to beat it pretty hard with a hammer and wooden block. The rear ear bushing went in a little easier. Anyway, if you look at the photos, the metal sleeves in the center of the bushings look too short. Maybe i'm wrong, but I would think the metal sleeve should be slightly longer so the poly bushing doesn't get pinched when the bolt is tightened. Any insight would be appreciated.
Did you compare to the old ones or measure these? By the way the old ones can be reused if necessary. I think you will be fine, the urethane will squeeze in and I don't think they will pinch.
Old 09-23-17, 03:49 PM
cbdbcbdb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question. I also think it is fine. In fact, you want some side to side compression on the urethane when it's tight. And you want to raise your control arm to a normal ride-height when you to the final torquing.
Old 09-24-17, 06:24 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

I had a shop do mine with the Prothane kit right after they put in a replacement steering rack but the results were stellar. Car never handled so well...... The wheels and wider tires came later and still a joy to drive.... No noise or vibrations.....
Old 09-26-17, 12:51 PM
logix7
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

just did mine yesterday and it looked the same. youll notice that before you install them, they are the same length. but in the process of putting it IN the control arm, the bushing itself seems to have elongated somewhat.
The following users liked this post:
emLEX (09-29-17)
Old 09-29-17, 08:50 AM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cbdbcbdb
Good question. I also think it is fine. In fact, you want some side to side compression on the urethane when it's tight. And you want to raise your control arm to a normal ride-height when you to the final torquing.
the metal inner bushing sleeve is supposed to rotate inside the urethane, pinching the urethane will prevent this. Not good
The following users liked this post:
emLEX (09-29-17)
Old 09-29-17, 09:10 AM
emLEX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Returd
the metal inner bushing sleeve is supposed to rotate inside the urethane, pinching the urethane will prevent this. Not good
That was my thought, as well. However, I thought I read somewhere the control arms on SCs rotate around the poly bushing, and not that the bushing rotates around the sleeve. That was a while back and I can't find that thread anymore.

Originally Posted by logix7
just did mine yesterday and it looked the same. youll notice that before you install them, they are the same length. but in the process of putting it IN the control arm, the bushing itself seems to have elongated somewhat.
Yes, that's what I noticed.
Old 09-29-17, 09:28 AM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Urethane must be free to rotate, pinch the urethane flange and you'll shear it off, after which it will probably rotate about the inner sleeve and then become sloppy when the sheared flange wears thin.

Urethane squeaks precisely because it rotates on the inner sleeve. Personally, I'd add grease fittings to the arms. Once the grease applied during initial assembly migrates out it'll squeak unless regularly greased.

I have Delrin bushings in my aftermarket suspension for my Mustang. The natural lubricity of delrin over poly should make the delrin not need grease, however even the delrin makes noise if not greased. I added fittings to all the bushing locations and lube at every oil change. The greased bushings rotate much more freely yet hold dimension allowing the suspension to articulate freely making the springs/shocks more effective while holding geometry which makes for much more precise cornering.

adding fittings and getting correct sleeve size the first time is easier and cheaper than doing the job twice.
Old 09-29-17, 12:36 PM
emLEX
Pit Crew

Yes, I've already added grease fittings, they're just not visible in the photos. No need for the "doing it twice" stuff...I get it, it's why I'm asking before I put them back on the car and destroy them.

I've read many threads where people have installed the same bushing kits on their SCs, and no one has mentioned the sleeve being shorter than the actual poly bushing. In my mind, the sleeve should be slightly longer to prevent the bushing from binding.
Old 09-29-17, 10:57 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by emLEX
Yes, I've already added grease fittings, they're just not visible in the photos. No need for the "doing it twice" stuff...I get it, it's why I'm asking before I put them back on the car and destroy them.

I've read many threads where people have installed the same bushing kits on their SCs, and no one has mentioned the sleeve being shorter than the actual poly bushing. In my mind, the sleeve should be slightly longer to prevent the bushing from binding.
Just grease the face of the urethane and put them in they will be fine. I've got a couple of sets running that were that way and also I've never had a squeak so I don't know what the concern is.
Old 10-03-17, 10:09 AM
cbdbcbdb
Driver School Candidate

Just got finished installing a set of these and it went very well. The tight fit required that I coordinate jacking both front and rear bushings into their respective slots at the same time, but it worked very well. Suspension is tight now.
Old 10-03-17, 10:58 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by cbdbcbdb
Just got finished installing a set of these and it went very well. The tight fit required that I coordinate jacking both front and rear bushings into their respective slots at the same time, but it worked very well. Suspension is tight now.
I'm assuming cutting off the ends to insert the bushings worked out for you?
Old 11-06-17, 10:57 AM
cbdbcbdb
Driver School Candidate

Yes, cutting the closed end off the control arm worked well, and these bushing fit nice and tight.