Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Will Airbags cure what ails me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-17, 02:04 PM
ainwarhol
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will Airbags cure what ails me?

So I just bought an '02 IS a couple of months ago and the drivetrain is in top notch condition, however I have noticed the suspension/handling leaves much to be desired.

So far I've noticed a considerable amount of bump steer and also clanking noises from the front when hitting even slight bumps in the road.
Here's what it came with when I bought it:
215/35 R19 tires stretched onto 19x9 rims (I know, I know...)
Megan Racing rear LCAs
Tein S.Tech lowering springs
Tokico "blue" shocks

The car came with insane negative camber which resulted in both rear tires wearing down on the inside tread resulting in a double blowout on the highway. I was able to get 2 new tires bought AND had the car aligned last week (after taking it to 2 different shops.... screw NTB)

So my question is, will upgrading to new 18x8 wheels with some 245/35 rubber and installing a new air-ride setup help solve the bump steer issues? Between the bags and the extra rubber, that should help absorb some of the bumps, right?

Once the air ride is installed, I will have a preset height that is used for daily driving which will be the height I get it aligned at, which SHOULD eliminate the tire wear. But when I'm under there installing the bags, is there anything else I should be looking at replacing or at least checking for wear-and-tear like bushings, links, arms, etc?