Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Z06 front calipers on sc300

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-17, 05:13 AM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Z06 front calipers on sc300

Painting
Complete, waiting for install
ISF rotors
Brackets installed
Other side bracket installed
Rotor installed
Caliper mounted
Inside shot of caliper
Clears my 18" work S2R. Barely lol
Collage

Little over an inche clearance with my HRE 446 19x10 installed in the front
Side shot with TT rear calipers
Picture of what to search for on eBay for the brackets
Thought I would take a minute to share in the brake forum. This week I finished my front brake project. I previously had LS400 front brakes on my car. They were great. But when a friend of mine came across a set of z06 calipers, I bought them and started acquiring all the parts necessary. Here's what you need:

1. front Z06 calipers from 06-12 (they are different left to right. However, of you get two of the same
aide, just move the brake line and the bleeders and it makes a right side caliper, a left side caliper)

2. front z06 pads. Choose whatever you want here but I'm all about OEM brake pads so I found a set of brand new GM padlets (yes, there are 6 individual pads per caliper) that came with new pins (they hold the pads in place.

3. Pad spring retainers. The metal clips at the bottom of the caliper that keep
the pads in place. You need 2 sets. If you purchase the GM part, it comes as a set of 2.

4. Caliper rebuild kit. I bought mine from GM after a failed attempt at aftermarket seals not being the right size. Don't make my mistake. The GM kit includes new pistons, o-rings, and dust boots. The kit is for 1 caliper so if both need replaced, order 2.

5. Brackets. I found brackets on eBay for $150. They are solid and came in red and included all the bolts necessary for install. When I got them I sanded them down and painted them black and clear coated the so they won't rust.

6. Rotors. And 08-14 Lexus ISF rotor will do. I chose the OEM brembo rotor. It is A LOT more expensive but in my opinion you get what you pay for.

7. Optional- stainless steel lines. If you order stainless steel lines, order them for an SC300. They will work perfectly. I used the stock rubber lines as they are new.

Install is pretty straight forward. Jack car, remove wheels, unbolt calipers from hub, use flat clamp to pinch off brake line, remove brake line from caliper (or line on body if you have new lines), set caliper aside, remove rotor. Now here is where I decide to completely remove the backing plate (actually mine was gone when I did LS400 front brakes) I cannot say if this setup will fit with it trimmed, but I doubt it. Then I bolted on the bracket, installed the rotor, bolted on the caliper, and installed the brake line. Then with a little help from a friend, I bled each caliper bleeder. Reinstalled wheels and went for a test drive.

Oh oh my god does it stop! Amazing upgrade.

Total investment, I probably have spent $1200 or so. Keep in mind I got a killer deal on the calipers, I get all of my OEM parts and employee cost + 10%, and I had them painted in my body shop. I think it was worth every penny.

Will be doing the rear 4 piston brembos next week so I'll write that one up too.
Old 09-10-17, 09:47 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 550 Likes on 369 Posts

Thanks for taking all the pictures and spending the time to write this up.
Old 09-13-17, 07:12 AM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

looks awesome, I'm a big fan of good brakes.

looks like you upgraded the rears also. What's going on back there? Did you make any changes to traction control/ABS? How about master cylinder booster changes and pedal effort?
Old 09-13-17, 07:30 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is so sick! Nice work Jim! How is pedal feel after the upgrade?
Old 09-15-17, 04:07 PM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexIS007
This is so sick! Nice work Jim! How is pedal feel after the upgrade?
Amazing. And even better after I upgraded the rear today! Here's a pic of the rear brembos

Old 09-24-17, 12:37 PM
dadswrld
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

That sir is a nice find and upgrade! It's astounding how much things after 20 something years can be applied to this car. Are the rear calipers also from a Vette of the same year or is it from something else? From 2 piston to 4 and now to 6 up front and from 1 to 2 pistons in the rear, that's correct?
Old 09-24-17, 10:58 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dadswrld
That sir is a nice find and upgrade! It's astounding how much things after 20 something years can be applied to this car. Are the rear calipers also from a Vette of the same year or is it from something else? From 2 piston to 4 and now to 6 up front and from 1 to 2 pistons in the rear, that's correct?
The rear calipers should be from a 2012+ Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 (or possibly 2014+). On Jim's car it would be 1 (stock) to 2 (supra tt) to 4 (srt-8) pistons in the rear.
The following users liked this post:
dadswrld (09-25-17)
Old 09-25-17, 04:48 AM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
The rear calipers should be from a 2012+ Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 (or possibly 2014+). On Jim's car it would be 1 (stock) to 2 (supra tt) to 4 (srt-8) pistons in the rear.
the correct answer on the rear brakes is 2012-2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 brembo calipers. Although I am fairly certain 2015-17 are the same but I have yet to confirm.

Pistons: the front now uses a 6 piston setup and the rear uses a 4 piston setup.

The stopping power is TREMENDOUS!
Old 09-25-17, 07:04 AM
dadswrld
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jimmymac30
the correct answer on the rear brakes is 2012-2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 brembo calipers. Although I am fairly certain 2015-17 are the same but I have yet to confirm.

Pistons: the front now uses a 6 piston setup and the rear uses a 4 piston setup.

The stopping power is TREMENDOUS!
Thanks, I can only imagine the stopping power! No heavy braking after a heavy lunch I would think.
Old 09-25-17, 11:47 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Jim, how is the front and rear bias with the new front and rear caliper setup? Would you say it feels mostly neutral? From what you have said briefly so far it sounds extremely powerful!

I ask because I could absolutely tell there was a more neutral braking bias in my car once I went from front TT calipers only to front and rear TT calipers. Upgrading the front and rear in your car, I would imagine, has had a similar effect.

I don't know the sizes of Supra MKIV TT rotors front and rear but I assume the ISF front rotors and whatever rear rotors fit those Cherokee SRT8 Brembos are larger diameter in both cases, especially since 19" rims appear to be required for this upgrade and I don't see too much extra clearance room in the front.

(fyi, 95-00 LS400 & MKIV TT calipers both require 17" rims at a minimum for caliper clearance).

I'm curious as to whether or not 18" rims with proper offset and spoke clearance would also work for this brake setup.

Overall it looks great!

Oh! I nearly forgot: is it possible to use the same brand and spec pads front and rear?

Last edited by KahnBB6; 09-25-17 at 11:53 PM.
Old 09-27-17, 06:48 PM
jimmymac30
Advanced

To answer your questions Craig, yes... the bias is very neutral and very nice. The car stops extremely well and doesn’t seem to nose dive.
The front rotors are 14.2” I believe and 13.6” rear. They cleared my 18” work Meister S2R. The gray wheels in my thread. I didn’t switch to the 19’s for clearance.
I used OEM front GM brake pads and brembo rear brake pads. I don’t think brembo males pads for the PBR front calipers I have but I’m certain I could have used hawk pads or something similar to have a matching set. I used OEM front and rear ISF rotors from a 2008 which are brembo rotors. I love the setup. I am going to delete my abs in the upcoming weeks to clean up the engine bay so I’ll do write up of that too for everyone.
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (09-27-17)
Old 09-27-17, 11:34 PM
KahnBB6

Thanks for the info on these, Jim! This is a setup I will be keeping my eye on.

I'm curious though-- you don't like having ABS modulation to prevent full lockup on the street even with these brakes?
Old 09-28-17, 05:53 PM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Thanks for the info on these, Jim! This is a setup I will be keeping my eye on.

I'm curious though-- you don't like having ABS modulation to prevent full lockup on the street even with these brakes?
well... I’ve had the car for a year and not once has the abs activated. It is a California car so it has no trac. I drive it about 2000 miles a year. Would rather have the engine bay clean I guess. I never had the abs activate on my 97 sc300 or my 96 sc400 come to think of it. Strange. Maybe abs is a myth lol
Old 09-29-17, 12:40 AM
KahnBB6

I can certainly understand wanting to get the engine bay cleaner! It will fill up quite a bit once you get a GTE in there! You've more than cured any braking power deficit your car had to begin with anyway

For what it's worth over the last few years I have had couple of instances in where ABS was activated and I was glad to have it but these were pretty rare. These moments were always during some sudden panic situation in L.A. freeway traffic. And once, if I recall, in the rain (but roads here tend to get a bit slicker than in other places when it rains because the roads bake the rest of the year).

I feel there is far less chance of it activating in an SC equipped with a large caliper and rotor system. And just about all of us use some pretty good tires that go way beyond the original factory requirements.

I do have to agree that outside of those freak traffic situations and even during spirited driving sessions ABS never comes on for me either. I like knowing it's there but it's very much a last resort safety system that takes a lot to invoke in an SC with upgraded brakes and tires.

Jim, you're treating your SC very well and probably not getting it anywhere near those situations if you only drive it 2,000 miles a year

Aside... I did not know TRAC was still optional in the later model years!

Last edited by KahnBB6; 09-29-17 at 12:44 AM.
Old 09-29-17, 04:00 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I can certainly understand wanting to get the engine bay cleaner! It will fill up quite a bit once you get a GTE in there! You've more than cured any braking power deficit your car had to begin with anyway

For what it's worth over the last few years I have had couple of instances in where ABS was activated and I was glad to have it but these were pretty rare. These moments were always during some sudden panic situation in L.A. freeway traffic. And once, if I recall, in the rain (but roads here tend to get a bit slicker than in other places when it rains because the roads bake the rest of the year).
I've never felt ABS kick in on the SC, but the times I felt it in my TL or Camry was the exact same situations as you posted. Abruptly stopping for traffic in LA (and it's usually because someone is trying to merge at the last minute).

Quick Reply: Z06 front calipers on sc300