Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

When to change brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-17, 03:46 PM
metrik
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default When to change brake pads?

Purchased CPO last December and curious to know what MM I should change the front and rears? I had a 15k service done the fronts measured 5 MM and the rears 10 MM.

thanks!
Old 09-04-17, 04:34 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Personally for me, I would change them between 1mm and 3mm.
The repair manual recommends 1mm minimum, but that;s providing you check them and they are exactly 1mm, which likely won't happen.

Based on when you got it, how much you drove, and what the measurement is now, you can guesstimate when it will be in the 1-3mm window and plan ahead for replacement.
I wouldn't even worry about the rear for now.
Old 09-04-17, 10:32 PM
metrik
Rookie

Any recommendations on pads? So far I've read Akebonos if you want less dust
Old 09-05-17, 11:31 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Akebono, EBC, factory non F-Sport pads...these ones seem to be the popular choices for low dust and good-great performance.
Some will suggest that you can't have performance without the dust. Meh...it's subjective.
Old 09-05-17, 10:54 PM
metrik
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Akebono, EBC, factory non F-Sport pads...these ones seem to be the popular choices for low dust and good-great performance.
Some will suggest that you can't have performance without the dust. Meh...it's subjective.
great, thanks for the recs
Old 09-05-17, 10:56 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

I did mine at 4mm.

As far as low dust pads, go pro Lexus Low Dust.

I would not recommend going bubble bonies or any other fan brand.

Also had horrible experience with EBC in the past.

Always go pro factory. Something goes wrong, you know it's not the brand.
Old 09-06-17, 10:32 AM
marsmango
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Has anyone else tried the Project Mu Type NS? http://www.project-mu.co.jp/en/products/pad_ns.html

I've only seen one thread on here with the Type NS for the IS350. I'm looking into Akebono as well for the price, since Project Mu seems to cost double and difficult to find
Old 09-06-17, 11:07 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

Why bother with tuner boy parts. Lexus already makes a low dust pad. And it's only $55 on ebay. Straight from the dealer.
Old 09-07-17, 02:17 PM
otakusan
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by marsmango
Has anyone else tried the Project Mu Type NS? http://www.project-mu.co.jp/en/products/pad_ns.html

I've only seen one thread on here with the Type NS for the IS350. I'm looking into Akebono as well for the price, since Project Mu seems to cost double and difficult to find
I've tried the P-Mu Type NS on my S14 240SX and GV STi, they perform very well as a street sport pad even at super cold weather in Canada, low dust and low noise... I personally like them a lot. They also have a good balance between initial bite and under hard braking. I can't compare my experience of this pad on the IS since the weight of the car and caliper design is different between cars. But once my f-sport pads are due, I would like to try them on my IS. If you do decide to try them, make sure you machine your rotors (if you are still using the same rotors) and bed them in properly.
Old 09-18-17, 11:36 AM
zzaang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2014 IS 250 F sport. I've tried the stock F sport pads, project mu NS and oem low-dust option pads for 2IS (2006-08) models (not sure if such is available for 3IS 250 F sports).

- Stock F sport pads had the highest initial bite out of these 3 options, but shortest longevity (front pads and rotors lasted 12k miles mixed city/highway). Rear pads and rotors were fine (same compound as non-F sports)

- Project Mu NS pads all around, I put on new oem front rotors. Less initial bite than stock F sport pads, but delivered consistent performance. (front and rear pads lasted 30k miles mixed city/highway, front and rear rotors were still fine). My only complaint was, towards the end of their life, the front pads started to make some creaking noises at parking lot speeds, usually when braking while turning right to pull up into driveways. I think this might've been the shims, but I'm not certain. I could've tried putting some anti-squeal grease to trouble shoot, but I never bothered.

- Oem replacement low-dust pads for 2IS 250 (2006-08, part# 04465-53030). I found out these front pads fit in 3IS 250 F sport front calipers. Currently I have these front pads on with the stock 3IS 250 rear pads that came with the car. I've had this combination on for about 2k miles. There is significantly less initial bite than both the stock F sport and project mu NS pads. I expected this since they are a low-dust option, but it's significant enough that I probably won't go this route again. They function perfectly fine, the performance is on par with that of any everyday car. However, the contrast in initial bite from both, the Project Mu NS pads and stock F sport pads, was enough to throw off my fiance when she drove the car. Again, it works fine for the street, strong enough to lock up your tires, just expect to squeeze the brake pedal a bit more than you did before if you're used to the "high performance" F sport brake pads.