Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Front LCA for $30!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-17, 01:57 AM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts
Default Front LCA for $30!?!?!

Ok so i was browsing the web trying to find a good price for the lower control arms for the supra since i need to replace mine and ran across this site. The website is called MIParts. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this and if they are worth doing business with. Looked up a few reviews and while there are only a few of the, they seem positive. I'm gonna post a link to the page with the part, i wasnt clear if im allowed to post the link and if im not, please delete the link. The part number matches and the site claims its an OEM wholesale so this might just be a lucky find for us.

Right: http://www.miparts.com/oem/48068-14080

Left: http://www.miparts.com/oem/48069-14080

MODERATOR EDIT AND REQUEST: It's absolutely fine to discuss these products, their potential quality and sources, but you need to have an approved CL vendor involved to sponsor (or miparts signed up) in order to gather interest, do a group buy, etc. Let's keep this informative thread open, but keep the group buy discussion off of CL until a vendor is aligned to support it. I've edited and/or pruned a number of posts in this thread so it can continue.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-17-17 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-01-17, 04:17 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

They're new oem alternatives. Miparts is a large wholesale manufacture in china and they sell oem replacement parts.

It makes me wonder if Toyota is going to discontinue the LCA and they sold off the tooling/design to this company. There hasn't been any other company that attempted to make a oem replacement arm before (probably due to r&d cost), so the only way this company could produce it and still be profitable at $30 is that they got the design for cheap.
Old 09-01-17, 04:30 PM
- V -
Instructor

What about quality? i mean its not a moving part so it doesnt have to be perfectly balanced or anything but those things take a lot of strain and i would hate to put on a control arm that ends up bending because it wasn't constructed properly. Blkexcoupe have you or someone you know dealt with them in the past?

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-17-17 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-01-17, 09:43 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by vteruni
What about quality? i mean its not a moving part so it doesnt have to be perfectly balanced or anything but those things take a lot of strain and i would hate to put on a control arm that ends up bending because it wasn't constructed properly. Blkexcoupe have you or someone you know dealt with them in the past?
I've never dealt with them, but it looks like they manufacture turbos and air suspension too.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-17-17 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-02-17, 02:51 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Offering just one of these control arms for only $30 makes me very wary. Even the raw parts and materials cost to Toyota had to be more than that to begin with.

I'm curious and I hope it is legitimate but I cannot imagine how they are doing it. Maybe it's a liquidation of old inventory? Also, do we know where these are manufactured?

vteruni, is there another link for the other front lower control arm through them or is it just the one side?
Old 09-02-17, 09:18 AM
- V -
Instructor

Updated the original post to include links to both left and right side. I have the same feeling as you do Khan, they are a Chinese manufacturer so im assuming its manufactured in china? I posted a link below to one of their pages, they seem to say they either buy the parts they have from the original manufacturer or make them at well known factories. They do have a phone number and an email to contact them with, I will try sending an email to see if i can get some answers. The number is located in China and international phone calls are expansive, so ill probably stick to email.

http://www.miparts.com/why_buy_from_us

Last edited by - V -; 09-02-17 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-02-17, 11:56 AM
cbdbcbdb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
They're new oem alternatives. Miparts is a large wholesale manufacture in china and they sell oem replacement parts.

It makes me wonder if Toyota is going to discontinue the LCA and they sold off the tooling/design to this company. There hasn't been any other company that attempted to make a oem replacement arm before (probably due to r&d cost), so the only way this company could produce it and still be profitable at $30 is that they got the design for cheap.

It's not hard to copy a design. Laser scanners, reasonable metrology equipment, and alloy analyzers are readily available around the world. The manufacturing cost of a $30 part from China is $15 or less. There is not much to an LCA. The cost of Lexus LCAs are ridiculous. Many suppliers offer aftermarket control arms for other car makes in the $50 range. My son just bought a 1997 sc300 and we have been shocked with part prices. (we do like the car though)

i would not hesitate to try these. Maybe they won't last 10 years, but LCAs are an easy repair. I will gladly spend 1/10th the price and replace my LCAs 2-3 times in 10 years.

my hope is that this is the beginning of more competition for these Lexus parts.

Last edited by cbdbcbdb; 09-02-17 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-02-17, 01:33 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

I would probably consider these, but there are two concerns that I would want to know more about before putting them on a car. These control arms are cast. Casting done poorly with occlusions and poor material could easily fracture under load. Not saying these are, just saying I would want to know a little more. The other concern is the ball joint. If it is made with inferior materials, it could potentially pop out under load. Either of those failure modes would be bad, either causing injury or at best severe damage to the car. With that said, I hope somebody buys some of these and gets a better look at them. Sure would be nice to not pay even the inflated supra price we pay now.
Old 09-02-17, 03:47 PM
KahnBB6

I agree about vetting the casting quality and the quality of the ball joints. Rubber wearing out and needing replacement is not nearly as big of a deal since we could just pop in poly bushings before installing these on the car. I'm more concerned about the strength of the metal castings and ball joints. Some investigation would be needed.
Old 09-02-17, 10:22 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

I sent them an email asking if I could buy one of each to prove fitment and quality. Will let everyone know what I find out.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-17-17 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-05-17, 07:33 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

These may be the same ones I have on my watch list on ebay. They just restocked and sell for a bit under 200 a pc as a set with appx 26 dollars shipping. Said they are made in china with oem specs. Metro something is the seller. And they sell toyota and lexus parts both genuine and aftermarket. Also has upper rear sets.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-17-17 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-09-17, 06:40 AM
CoOl21
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ummm.... Just checked Toyota North America stocks on these parts...
There are none left in the warehouses for either sides, they aren't obsolete YET, but it sure seem like that it'll happen soon.
Retail should be ~$500CDN/ea (not sure what US price would be, but I'm guess ~$375)

My mechanics just told me that my front LCAs are gone as well... so I'm also looking into getting these before they go out of production

Last edited by CoOl21; 09-09-17 at 08:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-09-17, 09:38 AM
- V -
Instructor

I'll try to get more info for you guys when i can. I live in Florida and i got Irma coming in today/tomorrow so my ability to do anything for the past two days has been minimal. Its been shutters and reinforcements up the ***. ill try to find out more after this thing passes over me.
Old 09-09-17, 10:25 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by vteruni
I'll try to get more info for you guys when i can. I live in Florida and i got Irma coming in today/tomorrow so my ability to do anything for the past two days has been minimal. Its been shutters and reinforcements up the ***. ill try to find out more after this thing passes over me.
Please stay safe out there, vteruni. Especially if you are in the south or west section of the state. My family and many friends are out there. Everyone is bracing for it.

As for the LCA's, I'm glad for the heads up that Toyota may be discontinuing stock on them. So our remaining options will now be the pricey Lexus front LCA's, late model Supra LCA's?

I replaced both of mine about six years ago but I did plan to get another set as a backup for the future. We have the expensive Figs LCA's as an option but I do hope these reproductions turn out to be good and safe quality.
Old 09-10-17, 06:06 PM
Returd
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd be vary wary of the Chinese arms. Japaneses ones will be cast from a consistent, certified and tested steel foundry with QA to make sure the casting and the alloys are correct. Chinese casters will be using an electric arc furnace and melting whatever scrap they can find, and casting in dubious conditions with unqualified workers and little or no QA at all.

The castings are the dumb parts, ball joints are another story altogether. If their cost is $15 for the complete unit, and they're making low volumes, it means they're junk.

Quick Reply: Front LCA for $30!?!?!