Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What is going on mechanically in the AVS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-17, 11:09 PM
Khatton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is going on mechanically in the AVS?

So I've got a 2014 IS350 F Sport AWD. The mechanically inclined personality in me is wondering what exactly is going on that makes this suspension system variable.

What exactly does the selector **** on the center console do in order to change damping ratios? Does it send a signal to change a mechanical setting in the shock assembly that restricts fluid flow between reservoirs?

**Let me preface this next question with saying that I believe my car has 9 variable suspension settings which correlate to shock damping ratios, correct me if I'm wrong**
So with regard to the AVS, what exactly does the suspension system take as inputs to decide on which damping ratio to select? Are there onboard acceleromters and Gyros that measure roll and vibrations to decide when to soften or stiffen the setting?
When in ECO/Normal/Sport Mode, does the suspension system just vary between the lower 4 options of the 9 variations for the shock, reserving the higher 5 for Sport +?
Old 08-31-17, 05:24 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Khatton
So I've got a 2014 IS350 F Sport AWD. The mechanically inclined personality in me is wondering what exactly is going on that makes this suspension system variable.

What exactly does the selector **** on the center console do in order to change damping ratios? Does it send a signal to change a mechanical setting in the shock assembly that restricts fluid flow between reservoirs?

**Let me preface this next question with saying that I believe my car has 9 variable suspension settings which correlate to shock damping ratios, correct me if I'm wrong**
So with regard to the AVS, what exactly does the suspension system take as inputs to decide on which damping ratio to select? Are there onboard acceleromters and Gyros that measure roll and vibrations to decide when to soften or stiffen the setting?
When in ECO/Normal/Sport Mode, does the suspension system just vary between the lower 4 options of the 9 variations for the shock, reserving the higher 5 for Sport +?

I am not exactly well informed in the subject but i'm pretty sure I know how it works.

If you look under your hood you'll see your strut towers are covered up by 2 large black cases with a wire running out. That's the AVS module. I believe the 350 F-sport struts have a **** on the top much like any aftermarket strut and when you turn on sport+ the modules inside the black case turns that **** for you.

It's doesn't seem crazy technical like some other adaptive suspensions.
Old 08-31-17, 09:47 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

The AVS is just a motor that spins the top of the struts dampening adjustment electronically.
If you were to unbolt the AVS off the top of the shocks and adjust the Normal/sports/sports+ **** you will see the motor spin.
There is only two modes. One mode is in Eco/normal/Sports while the other where dampening is adjusted to be stiffer at Sports+ mode.
These adjustments points are already predetermined in for Sports+ mode.

Very similar to how aftermarket Tein EDFC work just with not as much control over adjustment.

Only IS350 Fsport has the AVS. IS250 Fsport and other IS models do NOT have the AVS option.

Unplugging the AVS motors does not effect the car or throw any codes out.
There is only Input going to the AVS to make adjustments, There is no output signal from the AVS back to the vehicle's ECUs to give it fault codes or current settings.
The following users liked this post:
Ryster46 (12-23-19)
Old 02-25-24, 09:56 AM
Pierre5355
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by specONE
The AVS is just a motor that spins the top of the struts dampening adjustment electronically.
If you were to unbolt the AVS off the top of the shocks and adjust the Normal/sports/sports+ **** you will see the motor spin.
There is only two modes. One mode is in Eco/normal/Sports while the other where dampening is adjusted to be stiffer at Sports+ mode.
These adjustments points are already predetermined in for Sports+ mode.

Very similar to how aftermarket Tein EDFC work just with not as much control over adjustment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YZg3jFps7A

Only IS350 Fsport has the AVS. IS250 Fsport and other IS models do NOT have the AVS option.

Unplugging the AVS motors does not effect the car or throw any codes out.
There is only Input going to the AVS to make adjustments, There is no output signal from the AVS back to the vehicle's ECUs to give it fault codes or current settings.

There is not much info on the Lexus AVS . From my understanding when the pivots turns on top of the strut the oil flow is restricted ? It would make sense. The orifice being smaller it would be (stiffer) because the oil has a hard time passing?