Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Excessive Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-17, 06:02 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by mjh09e
Bump!

just got an alignment this morning and noticed my passenger rear has the same issue...same tires too.

As for the alignment spec sheet, please keep in mind that I was preciously lowered on Swift Springs and went to BC Racing coilovers last month. I waited about a month for the alignemnt (un-intentional) and my tire is shot.

Input much appreciated.

Exactly how many miles do you have on your tires? When did you noticed the issue? and when was the alignment performed? Just the exact timeline so we can diagnose the problem.

It seems that many of the "lowered" IS' have this issue in the rear. Maybe somehow the suspension geometry is changing on lower vehicles creating negative toe or toe out while driving? Dynamic toe shouldn't be the issue since "factory" IS' don't have that issue (or very slight) in the rear, but only in the front. Or maybe it is amplified when lowered? That's what we need to find out.

Again, it is a toe issue. A camber kit should help (very slightly) with the wear but it is not a fix.

Last edited by jkonquer; 08-11-17 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-11-17, 06:19 PM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jkonquer
Exactly how many miles do you have on your tires? When did you noticed the issue? and when was the alignment performed? Just the exact timeline so we can diagnose the problem.

It seems that many of the "lowered" IS' have this issue in the rear. Maybe somehow the suspension geometry is changing on lower vehicles creating negative toe or toe out while driving? Dynamic toe shouldn't be the issue since "factory" IS' don't have that issue (or very slight) in the rear, but only in the front. Or maybe it is amplified when lowered? That's what we need to find out.

Again, it is a toe issue. A camber kit should help (very slightly) with the wear but it is not a fix.
Currently have 15,350 miles on the tire. Took the car to the dealership last month at around 13,000 miles and they did not mention I needed a new tire or had any problems ar all. I drive about 2,000 miles a month.

I had one alignment performed today and one when I lowered the car on springs in January. I lowered the car on coilovers July 2nd, so have only been driving without getting the new alignment for a month.
Old 08-12-17, 07:18 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

The dealers won''t tell you about the inner wear, they only check the tread life. As Most RWD IS' have excessive inner wear on the front tires. So check your front tires too.

Problem with your alignment is that the rear toe is positive prior to alignment. So if anything you should have outer wear instead of inner wear. So it leaves me to believe that there is something loose or there is a dynamic toe.
Old 08-12-17, 05:06 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

can you still visually see negative camber at both the rear and the front of the car? the coilovers might have quelled the issue although the damaged had already been done, or the coilovers might have exacerbated the issue and here we are.
Old 08-12-17, 05:44 PM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by davyjordi
can you still visually see negative camber at both the rear and the front of the car? the coilovers might have quelled the issue although the damaged had already been done, or the coilovers might have exacerbated the issue and here we are.
Yes, you can see a little negative camber in the front and rear. I'm having no problems with front tire wear.
Old 08-12-17, 05:57 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Yes, you can see a little negative camber in the front and rear. I'm having no problems with front tire wear.
i'm making the switch to coilovers and i'm having rear camber arms installed at the same time because i can't be going through tires like crazy. i hope you find a solution, camber arms, or something else.
Old 08-12-17, 07:06 PM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i'm making the switch to coilovers and i'm having rear camber arms installed at the same time because i can't be going through tires like crazy. i hope you find a solution, camber arms, or something else.
My mechanic said the camber arms will do very little to help the rear tire wear. My problem is toe
Old 08-12-17, 07:15 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Bump!

just got an alignment this morning and noticed my passenger rear has the same issue...same tires too.

As for the alignment spec sheet, please keep in mind that I was preciously lowered on Swift Springs and went to BC Racing coilovers last month. I waited about a month for the alignemnt (un-intentional) and my tire is shot.

Input much appreciated.
If the shop did the alignment with those tires on it, the readings wouldn't be accurate. They would be close, but if you replace the tires now, you'll need another alignment right after.
The minimum 3 things that should be checked before doing an alignment:
  • tire pressure
  • tire wear
  • suspension play...including wheel bearings
It's obvious they didn't check the tire for wear, or uneven wear in this case.
Did they check the tire pressure or the suspension for play? I know what I'm guessing.

Last edited by Sasnuke; 08-12-17 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-12-17, 07:49 PM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
If the shop did the alignment with those tires on it, the readings wouldn't be accurate. They would be close, but if you replace the tires now, you'll need another alignment right after.
The minimum 3 things that should be checked before doing an alignment:
  • tire pressure
  • tire wear
  • suspension play...including wheel bearings
It's obvious they didn't check the tire for wear, or uneven wear in this case.
Did they check the tire pressure or the suspension for play? I know what I'm guessing.
I got a nail in my tire back in May or June and got a brand new tire on the driver side rear, so maybe that has some effect. As for tire pressure, I have no idea if they checked. I always keep my tires between 38 and 40psi.
Old 08-13-17, 10:07 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

this thread is making me nervous because i have the same wheels, same tire sizes, and will be putting coilovers on this saturday along with rear camber arms. i hope the alignment guy is good if there are any issues.
Old 08-13-17, 10:53 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

I hope it is an alignment issue as well. however, from the evidence above it seems like it is an entirely different issue.
Old 08-18-17, 11:10 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

I sat down and thought about it more, For sure its a TOE issue somewhere.
But I don't see how this could be a bushing issue and having to preload it before tightening all the bolts down. I've looked over the Factory Service info for installing rear springs and see no mention of preloading the suspension before tightening bolts done.
There are lot of of Toyota vehicles with this same spring pocket mounting on suspension arm design and we should hear this complaint more often then all over the internet

I wonder if its a issue with TOE CONTROL LINK SUB-ASSEMBLY

For those that have lowered your own car, did you touch this TOE CONTROL LINK SUB-ASSEMBLY mentioned in this thread?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension-and-brakes/721020-tein-s-tech-lowering-springs-7.html#post8454535
I do not recall even remotely touching this when I worked on my rear suspension.
Maybe everyone with the problem currently with rear tire wear had undone this arm when installing and in the process damaged the ball joint on the TOE arm link?
Old 08-22-17, 11:40 AM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Even if the car is perfectly aligned, whether on springs or coils, the load of the car bears heavily on the tires once lowered.
Don't forget that the stock shocks and springs are designed to dampen and take most of the load of the car. Once this dampening is removed by a stiffer suspension setup, there is much more friction between the tires and road surface especially during turning. You can look at a perfectly aligned car while it is sitting pretty on the lift, but the geometry changes while the car is turning, going over bumps, stopping, accelerating, etc.

Imagine taking a sharp turn where the shocks will compress to provide some stability and comfort for the driver. Now replace that with a much stiffer setup from coils that offers very little dampening. The tires will be pressed harder onto the road to provide a lot more grip and handling...and that is the entire purpose of coilovers. The sacrifice is obviously accelerated tire wear from the increased friction. Most people just lower their car and forget about the change in geometry of a lowered car. It is not just isolated to the IS. It is an issue on practically on every lowered vehicle, although the IS may be worse than others since she is a heavy car.

I've never gotten better than 2/3 life out of my tires on my lowered cars, and it is mostly inner wear. My uncle used to own a suspension shop back in the days, so my alignment were damn near perfect whenever I wanted. But that never helped with my tire troubles. As a young kid, I got schooled by the technicians at the shop on lowering a car.
Old 08-22-17, 08:35 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

That is mostly true but what we have is a "extreme" toe wear. People are getting less than 8k miles out of them. Even my past track cars with softer tires and track spec'ed alignment had better life than this. Also higher spring rate actually causes more slippage on less performance tires hence the reason why you have to upgrade to stickier tires with stiffer suspension, And finally, if that were the case, the fronts should have the same wear if not worst.
Old 10-07-17, 11:27 PM
LexoDAV
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The alignment wear that you guys are having is a common problem most lexus is drivers are having. You need to have your alignment check and adjusted every 15k when possible. I strongly believe only out of my own opinion that this car needs to be aligned with sand bags in the car. 50lbs per corner of the car. Slip plates pin on the rear needs to be removed and jounce the rear abbot to let it settle. Those pictures are crazy to see. But your lowered, it's normal. My set of tires lasted me 28k miles. I cross rotate them every 5 k. Aligned the car 3 times since I owned it. The Bridgestone er33 did me well
The following users liked this post:
dsouthmia0 (11-02-22)

Quick Reply: Excessive Tire Wear