Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Revisiting lowered AWD woes / Solutions

Old 07-09-17, 10:58 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Exclamation Revisiting lowered AWD woes / Solutions

Hello forum,

First off: I'd like to keep this thread dedicated to resolving low awd issues.
Please do not ask if "lowering your car is bad for it" or "how low should I go" or "coilovers or lowering springs" -- there are countless threads out there addressing these questions; please use the SEARCH button

I know a few people have gone down this path before, getting spacers machined etc., but I'd like to take another crack at it.

Background:
Anyway, after riding around slammed for about 2 years, my front half axles (especially my driver's side) decided to call it quits with the inner boot tearing thru completely and emptying its grease throughout my wheelwell (cleaning is fun).

Not the end of the world / I knew this would happen / the forums warned us....

I decided to cheap out and buy an aftermarket axle (new, not refurb) and installed it days after receiving it.
Here's what happened two days after the install of the axle:

Two things struck me here:
1. The neoprene boots on the aftermarket axles do not stand a chance if put an an odd angle
2. The angle that my axle is at is quite incredible!

Here's what I plan to do now:
A. Buy an oem half axle and swap that in
B. As a preventative measure, I have read on facebook and on AWD GS threads on ClubLexus here that we can restore the compromised geometry of the lowered car by raising the motor - thru the use of spacers / washers between the motor mount and the subframe. I plan to do this immediately following yet another axle swap

Note: this is to address the geometry of the axles; the vibration issue is related to the driveshaft and is a separate issue altogether even though people often combine the two.

I wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were regarding the motor mount spacer idea, or to see if anyone on here has done it. I did find a fellow on facebook who has used washers, and who sort of inspired yet another search to resolve this issue. (He has a picture of him almost completely aired out, with the axles virtually straight (he used washers)).

I welcome any other thoughts on this topic or if anyone has anything to add, I'm eager to read it! I have to get going on this process within the week or so.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-09-17, 11:01 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

If I decide to go the washer route, here is what has been proposed / done: Add 3 washers to each of the two bolts at B, and add 4 washers at point A.

Here is an up-close of the washers at B once the mounts have been put back together:

***Credit for these photos and this proposition goes to the fellow on facebook that I mentioned in the first post!!

If I go the product route:
There are these from T-Demand / Central Pine:
https://www.centralpine-usa.com/prod...ission-spacers

The only thing is, they're only 10mm in height, which I don't believe is enough (seeing as the guy (last post) stacked 7 washers in height total), and super expensive should I have to order more than one set! Benefit is that they are an easy slide on part.

Last edited by Nixcision; 07-10-17 at 12:11 AM.
Old 07-11-17, 06:25 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Small update: just placed an order for a used oem half axle (driver's side front).

Still trying to brainstorm on an axle bind solution. I won't be installing this "new" axle until I have figured this out.

Spoke with Central Pine (not TDemand) and the 10mm kit for the IS has 2 motor mount spacers, and 4 trans mount spacers. The guy I spoke with recommended I use the 10mm spacers as they are meant and then stack washers above the motor mount as mentioned in the previous post. Sort of a hybrid solution.
Not too sure if spending $250usd is worth it for a partial solution when I have to use washers anyway...
The following users liked this post:
bebe85 (09-15-20)
Old 09-15-20, 07:11 PM
bebe85
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nixcision
Small update: just placed an order for a used oem half axle (driver's side front).

Still trying to brainstorm on an axle bind solution. I won't be installing this "new" axle until I have figured this out.

Spoke with Central Pine (not TDemand) and the 10mm kit for the IS has 2 motor mount spacers, and 4 trans mount spacers. The guy I spoke with recommended I use the 10mm spacers as they are meant and then stack washers above the motor mount as mentioned in the previous post. Sort of a hybrid solution.
Not too sure if spending $250usd is worth it for a partial solution when I have to use washers anyway...
I know this is old but you never posted your outcome on this issue.... n e one else got info on this? How'd it turn out
Old 06-01-21, 06:37 PM
2isdb
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nixcision

I would really like to see the outcome of this and how the results were.