Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

RR Racing USRS Install - anyone DIY w/o a lift?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-17, 05:10 PM
jamisteven
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RR Racing USRS Install - anyone DIY w/o a lift?

Did my front brake pads this weekend and attempted to install the USRS Bushings, I dont see how this is possible however without:
A: Removing the bottom strut bolt
and / or
B: Having a lift in order to get a pry bar up underneath the control arm to force it down below that subframe in the pic below.

Has anyone had any success with a DIY without a lift? I was using ramps but tried jacking it and using jack stands as well.

Old 07-09-17, 09:32 PM
UngBuck
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is the benefits of this mod? does it stiffen the steering response for our normal mode driving? isnt that the same as sport mode?
Old 07-09-17, 09:57 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by UngBuck
what is the benefits of this mod? does it stiffen the steering response for our normal mode driving? isnt that the same as sport mode?
These questions alone could cause this thread to go on for 3 pages.
Before we rehash this again, check out post #27 of this thread (there's a video): https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...bushing-2.html
Old 07-10-17, 11:32 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I did mine by jacking up the front and placing two jack stands on the frame. Took the front wheels off to get better leverage. After taking off the all the bolts the lower arm can be easily pried down with a bar or a wrench. No need to remove the strut bolt.
Old 07-10-17, 06:33 PM
jamisteven
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jkonquer
I did mine by jacking up the front and placing two jack stands on the frame. Took the front wheels off to get better leverage. After taking off the all the bolts the lower arm can be easily pried down with a bar or a wrench. No need to remove the strut bolt.
Thanks! First thing I read on the instructions was like "the front wheels do not need to come off" - after haggling for an hour I put it all back together and said to hell with it. Will give this a try next time around.
Old 07-10-17, 06:39 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Also the instruction is for RC, ISF, 2IS and 3IS. They are exactly the same part. Only difference in the installation is the x brace that needs to be removed. Some model has it and some don't, 3IS does.

Wheels don't need to be removed but if you are using jack stand, it is much easier to access the LCA.
Old 07-10-17, 07:39 PM
IreneIS350
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If anyone has these for Sale, let me know
Old 07-12-17, 03:01 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Originally Posted by UngBuck
Improves response, reduces dynamic toe changes under load. In short, better performance but increased vibration and noise. Unless you have a dedicated track car, no real need for it. Car handles nicely from the factory.
Old 07-12-17, 09:22 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Originally Posted by E46CT
Improves response, reduces dynamic toe changes under load. In short, better performance but increased vibration and noise. Unless you have a dedicated track car, no real need for it. Car handles nicely from the factory.
Or if you want the front tires to lasts you more than 25k.
I talked to 3 random (Yes random IS250/IS350 F sports) owners and they had no idea that they had inner front tire wear due to dynamic toe. I showed them the inner wear on their vehicle and all were showing metal tread, but the outside look perfectly new. And all of them have less than 30k miles. I'm actually surprise that dealer hasn't got sued for neglecting to mention the wear on the tire during the check up...

Anyway, this will fix that issue as well.

Last edited by jkonquer; 07-15-17 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-13-17, 11:07 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

I did the install last weekend with no lift and one side at a time. It is definitely doable without a lift just a bit harder and painful maneuvering around in the tight quarters of between the floor and bottom of the car.

I have video footage of it that I will try to edit soon and share with all to see the process.
Old 07-15-17, 09:44 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Here's the video of the install I did last weekend that I promised
Hope you guys enjoy and helpful to somebody. Recording while installing makes the process 2x longer to finish.
The following 2 users liked this post by specONE:
Aspect (11-15-17), IreneIS350 (07-15-17)
Old 07-15-17, 06:13 PM
IreneIS350
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My car isn't a track car, but I'd love to save my Michelin PSS tires!!
Old 09-16-17, 05:26 PM
jamisteven
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by specONE
Here's the video of the install I did last weekend that I promised
Hope you guys enjoy and helpful to somebody. Recording while installing makes the process 2x longer to finish.
https://youtu.be/gaP3w4adGPU
Hey thanks for this vid! Your under carriage looks WAY different than mine but maybe this is because its passengers side view and I was on the drivers side when I attempted. Anyways will try it again sometime this weekend and see if I cant get it done.
EDIT: nvmd, realized I originally posted this in 3rd gen, when I should be in 2nd gen :-D
Old 09-16-17, 06:52 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Pretty much all passenger cars using rubber pivot points have toe that changes over the terrain, as well as during braking and acceleration. As an owner you have to pay attention and make adjustments to air pressure, toe and and sometimes camber to achieve better tire wear.

Tire pressure and Toe are the greater factors impacting wear. Being off a small amount over 20,000 miles will take the edge off the tire.
toe out wears the inside.
toe in wears the outside.
How the car is driven is a factor also.
Old 09-18-17, 01:01 PM
jamisteven
Driver School Candidate

Installed today, much easier this time around but not really sure why, seems there was way more give in the control arm this time when pulling down with the pry bar. Might be because this time i turned the wheel all the way to the opposite direction of the side i was working on like specONE did in the vid posted above. Didnt notice too big of a difference in steering just driving around my neighborhood but will see how it is on my commute into work tomorrow morning. Up next Koni adjustables w/ H&R Sports.

Quick Reply: RR Racing USRS Install - anyone DIY w/o a lift?