Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

RR Racing USRS Install - anyone DIY w/o a lift?

Old 12-24-17, 04:39 AM
sheltop225
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was hands down the worst mod I've ever done to a car. The ride quality seriously sucked, UNLESS you were on an absolutely smooth road, and we know that's not going to be the case 90% of the time. Every little bump is very harsh, and don't get me started on all the creaks and rattles that started after the install. Thank god they went away after putting the stocks back on...
Old 12-25-17, 06:23 AM
jamisteven
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sheltop225
This was hands down the worst mod I've ever done to a car. The ride quality seriously sucked, UNLESS you were on an absolutely smooth road, and we know that's not going to be the case 90% of the time. Every little bump is very harsh, and don't get me started on all the creaks and rattles that started after the install. Thank god they went away after putting the stocks back on...
I agree entirely. Was seriously pissed when I realized all the rave reviews were from the track guys, which makes sense because the steering and breaking is incredible on smooth surfaces with speeds in excess of 55mph.
Old 12-26-17, 09:17 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Originally Posted by jkonquer
Or if you want the front tires to lasts you more than 25k.
I talked to 3 random (Yes random IS250/IS350 F sports) owners and they had no idea that they had inner front tire wear due to dynamic toe. I showed them the inner wear on their vehicle and all were showing metal tread, but the outside look perfectly new. And all of them have less than 30k miles. I'm actually surprise that dealer hasn't got sued for neglecting to mention the wear on the tire during the check up...

Anyway, this will fix that issue as well.
It's not an issue. Performance sedan type cars tend to wear tires at about 20-25k miles. That's sought-after. I actually wish my tires wore faster. That's the mark of performance. If you want longevity, buy a Camry or Prius. Just understand tire wear comes w/ the territory. Ask any BMW 3 or 5 Series owner, particularly with sport package / sport alignment. BMW basically invented the elastic suspension model for sporty cars. Every sporty BMW=20k set of tires.

30k is a LOT for this kind of car.

You also don't want your tires lasting too long because while you have tread, it'll be hard sun-beaten cracked tread. Causes its own set of problems.

Fast wear means you have fresh rubber.

Win/win/win.
Old 12-26-17, 09:20 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Originally Posted by jamisteven
I agree entirely. Was seriously pissed when I realized all the rave reviews were from the track guys, which makes sense because the steering and breaking is incredible on smooth surfaces with speeds in excess of 55mph.
Yep. Road cars need compliance. Compliance on the street=performance.

Your hard bushings may actually cause an accident on the street as any bump will upset your adhesion limits quicker, particularly in the rain. VSC won't save you in the more extreme circumstances.
Old 12-26-17, 06:17 PM
wforty94
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sell it to me
Old 12-27-17, 12:06 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
It's not an issue. Performance sedan type cars tend to wear tires at about 20-25k miles. That's sought-after. I actually wish my tires wore faster. That's the mark of performance. If you want longevity, buy a Camry or Prius. Just understand tire wear comes w/ the territory. Ask any BMW 3 or 5 Series owner, particularly with sport package / sport alignment. BMW basically invented the elastic suspension model for sporty cars. Every sporty BMW=20k set of tires.

30k is a LOT for this kind of car.

You also don't want your tires lasting too long because while you have tread, it'll be hard sun-beaten cracked tread. Causes its own set of problems.

Fast wear means you have fresh rubber.

Win/win/win.
There is nothing “performance” about Lexus IS and it has no where close to having a sport aligment or suspension. If you bought an IS, especially your is200t, as a performance car then you’ve made a huge mistake.
Factory spec’ed aligment is completely opposite of what a sporty tuned alignment is. If anything it is made for stability, comfort and safety. And as same for the factory Lower Control Arm bushings which is made soft to reduce NVH (which causes the inner wear due excessive movement or compliance). Nothing to do with its “sporty” aligment since there is none.
You are generalizing the common alignment issues on other sporty car, this however is an isolated issue. I have and had several actual “sports” cars with none of this issue unless the alignment was set to negative toe which Factory spec’ed IS does not.

Last edited by jkonquer; 12-27-17 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-14-21, 10:39 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 749 Likes on 466 Posts
Arrow

Appreciate your input.

Originally Posted by jamisteven
Ya'll are the first two that actually didn't like this mod but I do like reading both ends of the scale. Everyone always states they don't feel any difference but seeing these reviews shows that there is definitely added NVH.

Still trying to decide with the USRS street version which is an 88dur bushing or the Figs. I keep reading nothing but good reviews about Figs. And for something that isn't going to get tracked and mainly just want to make sure my tires on my RCF don't get destroyed makes me think that should be the route to go.

-Nigel