Steering rack bushings? - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion


Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Steering rack bushings?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-17-17, 07:52 PM   #1
Returd
Pole Position
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 361
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Default Steering rack bushings?

Replacing the rack in my 92 SC400. Pulled the rack from my 93 parts car today, what a ***** that was, had to cut the steering shaft.

Anyway I don't think I need bushings but while it's apart maybe I should attend to it.

it's a slightly lowered daily driver calmly driven. If I replace I don't think I need urethane but am open to suggestions

Last edited by Returd; 05-21-17 at 07:08 AM.
Returd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-17, 07:23 AM   #2
mrmj2u
Driver
iTrader: (1)
 
mrmj2u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: DC
Posts: 158
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Replace them while you have it apart. I used Battle Version solid bushings.$40 at Drift Motion
mrmj2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-17, 08:47 AM   #3
Returd
Pole Position
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 361
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Default

I'm not going to go with solid bushings. I did a little googling and see Daizen come up. I'm thinking poly rack bushings. I also stumbled on to discussion of control arm bushing failures. I may as well do those at the same time. I'm not keen on poly due to squeaks but could add grease fittings.

So where's the best place to buy poly bushings, Daizen or some other reputable brand?
Returd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-17, 06:50 AM   #4
BiGEZ
Lead Lap
iTrader: (24)
 
BiGEZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 639
Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Super Pro is a good replacement for a daily driver recently installed a set on my GS300, love it. Better than stock
BiGEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-17, 07:17 PM   #5
RXRodger
Lead Lap
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: MS
Posts: 509
Thanked 26 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returd View Post
I'm not keen on poly due to squeaks but could add grease fittings.

So where's the best place to buy poly bushings, Daizen or some other reputable brand?
I'm not sure where the notion of poly bushings resulting in squeaks comes from, but I have not had any issue with squeaking bushings in either car I have put them in. You have to properly grease the bushings and sleeves, if you do that the correct way they don't squeak. Now ride harshness, that's a legitimate question or concern. They are not going to be as soft as a stock rubber bushing, so depending on how much that bothers you it can be a factor swaying either way. I personally can't tell much difference, but maybe some can.
RXRodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 07:04 AM   #6
Returd
Pole Position
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 361
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Default

I have a Fox Mustang. The stock front suspension is a modified Mcpherson strut. I converted it to a coil over SLA (short/long arm or double wishbone, similar to SC front suspension).

I used poly bushings up front and hand greased them when assembling. Within 1500 miles the front end squeaks, it's a known thing (that I discovered after the fact) , especially in the Mustang crowd. Manually greasing the fittings requires taking the bushings apart, doing that every 1500 miles isn't really practical. Adding grease fittings and lubing them every oil change pretty much alleviates the problem, but adding fittings after assembly isn't fun or easy either.

I learned my lesson with the front end and will be addressing it soon.

I took the solid rear axle out and converted it to a coil over double wishbone independent rear suspension (IRS) from a 2003 Mustang Cobra. In the back I used Delrin bushings which are very hard but a high lubricity material. I also added grease fittings and use a Mobil 1 synthetic grease.

You would think such a hard bushing would make for a harsher ride with higher NVH (noise vibration harshness) but the opposite is the case. The arms rotate very freely and the ride quality is actually better than a stock IRS Cobra. Quieter, smoother etc.

the major different when going from stock rubber to poly or other control arm bushings is this:
stock bushings: the rubber is bonded to the inner and outer sleeve and the rubber twists as the arm rotates.
Poly or other bushings: the inner sleeve rotates on the surrounding bushing material. If not lubed or a high lubricity material this will squeak.

An often overlooked upside of aftermarket bushings is the arms rotate more freely as the arms don't need to use energy to twist the rubber. This is an additional benefit to having a bushing that doesn't compress as much and change suspension geometry through it's range of motion. Another thing to keep in mind when lubing poly or other fittings is the grease must be compatible with the bushings. There have been cases of the grease attacking the bushing resulting in very premature bushing failure.

Squeaking poly won't be an issue for a static bushing like a steering rack but it will happen eventually with a rotating bushing. If it hasn't then you're lucky and the assembly lube must still be in place.
Returd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 11:35 AM   #7
Blkexcoupe
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (8)
 
Blkexcoupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: California
Posts: 3,295
Thanked 88 Times in 78 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXRodger View Post
I'm not sure where the notion of poly bushings resulting in squeaks comes from, but I have not had any issue with squeaking bushings in either car I have put them in. You have to properly grease the bushings and sleeves, if you do that the correct way they don't squeak. Now ride harshness, that's a legitimate question or concern. They are not going to be as soft as a stock rubber bushing, so depending on how much that bothers you it can be a factor swaying either way. I personally can't tell much difference, but maybe some can.
On my SC I haven't heard it at all. I've been on daizen poly bushings for 60k miles since 2008.

Most of the cars these days have shot bushings and blown shocks that the upgrade to poly won't even be noticeable. It'll improve the way the car drives and probably feel the same.

*edit* to answer the OP question: I would go with super pro or whiteline steering rack bushings. The only remaining daizen vendor hasn't had a great track record for sending people their stuff. I've heard they've gotten better, but I still wouldn't risk it.

For the Control arms, Prothane is the cheapest option. Daizen is a rebranded prothane product. Super pro and whiteline are also great options, but they come at a much higher price.

Last edited by Blkexcoupe; 05-21-17 at 11:40 AM.
Blkexcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blkexcoupe For This Useful Post:
Returd (05-21-17)
Old 06-13-17, 09:05 AM   #8
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
iTrader: (23)
 
Kira X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 東京都
Posts: 8,680
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe View Post
On my SC I haven't heard it at all. I've been on daizen poly bushings for 60k miles since 2008.

Most of the cars these days have shot bushings and blown shocks that the upgrade to poly won't even be noticeable. It'll improve the way the car drives and probably feel the same.

*edit* to answer the OP question: I would go with super pro or whiteline steering rack bushings. The only remaining daizen vendor hasn't had a great track record for sending people their stuff. I've heard they've gotten better, but I still wouldn't risk it.

For the Control arms, Prothane is the cheapest option. Daizen is a rebranded prothane product. Super pro and whiteline are also great options, but they come at a much higher price.
I never knew that about the Daizen bushings. For years I've seen people go through all sorts of nonsense to get the Daizen bushings. I had no idea they were rebranded Prothane bushings.

I'm going to check out these Super Pro bushings. My SC could use new bushings everywhere.
Kira X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-17, 11:10 AM   #9
Blkexcoupe
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (8)
 
Blkexcoupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: California
Posts: 3,295
Thanked 88 Times in 78 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira X View Post
I never knew that about the Daizen bushings. For years I've seen people go through all sorts of nonsense to get the Daizen bushings. I had no idea they were rebranded Prothane bushings.

I'm going to check out these Super Pro bushings. My SC could use new bushings everywhere.
Most people would never own both kits to compare them. The part numbers on the individual bushings is identical.

The only thing unique to the Daizen products was the front LCA bushing for 92-00 models. They offered a replacement bushing cup that allowed you to press out the entire bushing instead of burning them out.

The rear daizen kit they sold doesn't include the shock mount bushing. The prothane kit does include it.
Blkexcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 09:49 AM   #10
aletz12485
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tx
Posts: 63
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Prothane shows two part numbers for the SC300/400 rack bushings. One for 47mm and one for 50mm diameter racks. Anyone know which one would be on a 93 SC400? Im guessing the smaller one.

47mm
http://www.prothanesuspensionparts.com/spf1193-47k

50mm
http://www.prothanesuspensionparts.com/spf1193-50k
aletz12485 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 10:04 AM   #11
Returd
Pole Position
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 361
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Default

My 92 was a 50mm. best to measure. I got mine from whiteline.
Returd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 10:13 AM   #12
aletz12485
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tx
Posts: 63
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Im now leaning towards 50mm as well. The Daizen bushings on Amazon show they are for the 50mm rack and use the OEM part numbers as Prothane does.
aletz12485 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 10:18 AM   #13
Returd
Pole Position
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 361
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aletz12485 View Post
Im now leaning towards 50mm as well. The Daizen bushings on Amazon show they are for the 50mm rack and use the OEM part numbers as Prothane does.
measure first, jesus. If you don't have calipers measure circumference with a tape. C=3.14 X D
D= C/3.14
Returd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 10:20 AM   #14
aletz12485
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: tx
Posts: 63
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I dont have the car in front of me, jesus. Otherwise id put a set of calipers on them. Thanks for the math lesson.
aletz12485 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 10:38 AM   #15
Returd
Pole Position
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Ontario
Posts: 361
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aletz12485 View Post
I dont have the car in front of me, jesus. Otherwise id put a set of calipers on them. Thanks for the math lesson.
well then go ahead and guess, good luck

Check backorder status while you're at it. Prothane was a long wait when I checked.
Returd is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2003 RX300 Steering Rack Bushings MSK RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) 1 10-03-17 06:14 PM
RX330 Steering Rack bushings availability! nigelslal RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) 0 06-12-17 07:48 AM
I'm going to torch my car Albatross Suspension and Brakes 33 12-15-16 04:12 PM
Polyurethane Steering Rack Bushings TRACKMKIII GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) 3 02-07-16 11:49 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:26 AM.


Copyright © 2000-2017 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: