Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tein street advance coilover ride height

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-17, 09:56 PM
Boater1602
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein street advance coilover ride height

Hello,

i have these coilovers arriving anyday now. I was curious as to what my initial ride height setting should be. I have the stock 17" wheels on a 2003 GS430. But, I want an aggressive look without rubbing issues. Has anybody had experience with this car and the street advance?? Thank you.
Old 05-14-17, 01:44 PM
Wrath
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, I have the street advance kit on my GS400 and I do like BUT there are a few compromises to be aware of. The way Tein will have you set the ride height is to set the lower perch one inch from the bottom. That gives you a baseline drop *I think* between 2-3 inches. My suspension was totally blown out prior to my Tein install so I didn't initially measure to see how much of a drop that my car came down. I did replace a whole slew of other parts with aftermarket (figs, BV, megan) parts along with the Teins. HOWEVER, the springs that come in the kit is designed to be set at that one inch from the bottom level; IF you need to raise the car because you are crashing over dips and speed bumps, you will have to preload the hell out of the springs in order to raise it. This in turn screws up the spring rate and you will diminish your handling, and in my case, the front springs are now sagging lowering me a bit more. Also be advised your alignment will be out of spec and you will need some aftermarket stuff to get the alignment right again...unless your looking for a stance look or whatever.

I hate to say it but either get some swift or hyperco springs and junk out the tein springs right away. If I could do it over I would have gone with a different kit, one that allows for ride-height adjustment through the shock body rather than spring length. (like the street flex)
good luck and if you have any other questions feel free to ask.
The following users liked this post:
firelizard (05-15-17)
Old 05-15-17, 02:48 AM
LoveThatV8
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm actually looking at these for my 06 gs430, for $500 not bad in exchange to my blown struts, then I saw Racelands for cheaper. My question is hows the ride? harsh? soft? I can see it is adjustable, so idk what are the recommended settings.
Old 05-15-17, 08:03 AM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

Raceland is garbage.
Old 05-16-17, 11:01 AM
JM Auto Racing
Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by firelizard
Raceland is garbage.
What he said unfortunately
1-855-998-8726
Old 05-16-17, 08:56 PM
Boater1602
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Wrath
Okay, I have the street advance kit on my GS400 and I do like BUT there are a few compromises to be aware of. The way Tein will have you set the ride height is to set the lower perch one inch from the bottom. That gives you a baseline drop *I think* between 2-3 inches. My suspension was totally blown out prior to my Tein install so I didn't initially measure to see how much of a drop that my car came down. I did replace a whole slew of other parts with aftermarket (figs, BV, megan) parts along with the Teins. HOWEVER, the springs that come in the kit is designed to be set at that one inch from the bottom level; IF you need to raise the car because you are crashing over dips and speed bumps, you will have to preload the hell out of the springs in order to raise it. This in turn screws up the spring rate and you will diminish your handling, and in my case, the front springs are now sagging lowering me a bit more. Also be advised your alignment will be out of spec and you will need some aftermarket stuff to get the alignment right again...unless your looking for a stance look or whatever.

I hate to say it but either get some swift or hyperco springs and junk out the tein springs right away. If I could do it over I would have gone with a different kit, one that allows for ride-height adjustment through the shock body rather than spring length. (like the street flex)
good luck and if you have any other questions feel free to ask.
I appreciate the reply. I will set as suggested and see how it looks. I have a the daizen poly bushings and steering rack bushings as well. I will do before and after pics.
Old 05-16-17, 11:27 PM
Wrath
Driver

At the very least get some adjustable sway bar end-links or ISF end-links, as once you go low the sway bars get pushed upward by the link and fubars its geometry, essentially lengthening the bars I think.
Old 05-17-17, 11:09 AM
Boater1602
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Wrath
At the very least get some adjustable sway bar end-links or ISF end-links, as once you go low the sway bars get pushed upward by the link and fubars its geometry, essentially lengthening the bars I think.
Ok, so I should get front and rear sway bar end links?

Thanks.
Old 05-18-17, 01:51 PM
Wrath
Driver

Ya, get both. I think you can grab some ISF end-links from the ROCA brand group off eBay for cheaper than the adjustable end-links from FIGS. I still recommend the adjustable ones, though. BTW get an alignment afterwards!