Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Upper Control Arm IS250 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-17, 10:18 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Upper Control Arm IS250 AWD

Hello CL,

can anyone confirm if there are any differences between an upper control arm on a IS250 RWD and AWD? My ball joint went bad and I need to replace it but so far no aftermarket sites I've looked at carry one that specifies for AWD applications, and my local Lexus dealer is asking $394 CAD versus $50 USD I could get off RockAuto. Upon looking at stock pictures of both arms online they look nearly identical.

Thanks
Old 05-12-17, 11:44 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Not an answer to your question, but discount at RockAuto for our members

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...ml#post9863348
Old 01-02-18, 01:08 PM
rwhtide
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

hey aspect,
you ever find a solution to this? had forgotten about it, but I had to almost strip my upper driverside ball joint when doing spring install. castle nut thing wouldn't budge. think that may be contributing to my car's twitchiness. Ive also read that some ppl say you need to buy the entire upper control arm when replacing ball joint, but others say nah, just need the joint itself... dunno whats what. ive seen both the individual joints and the entire horseshoe-shaped arm assembly with the ball joint included. also, if I'm doing one side, should I go ahead and do both sides, kinda like when doing brakes?
Old 01-02-18, 01:15 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

For the AWD there is a separate ball joint. You don't need to replace the whole arm. You can find them on Rockauto.com.
The following users liked this post:
rwhtide (01-02-18)
Old 01-02-18, 03:01 PM
Aspect
Racer

Mine was one whole unit. Ball joint and arm together. As far as my research has gone and my experience replacing both upper control arms go you have to buy the whole arm with the ball joint. If you can prove me wrong otherwise I'd be glad to hear it out, would've saved me a lot of money

Last edited by Aspect; 01-02-18 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-02-18, 06:31 PM
rwhtide
Rookie

somethin lika dis?

https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...-05458643.html

oh but it says rwd..
Old 01-02-18, 06:34 PM
rwhtide
Rookie

considering the mild drop, feel like I should go for the spc modifiable ones. although I dunno wth I'm talking about at that point. my knowledge and car know-how only go so far. I can remove and install, but "adjusting" is not my forte
Old 01-03-18, 08:02 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aspect
Mine was one whole unit. Ball joint and arm together. As far as my research has gone and my experience replacing both upper control arms go you have to buy the whole arm with the ball joint. If you can prove me wrong otherwise I'd be glad to hear it out, would've saved me a lot of money
Did you happen to buy the complete RWD arm? If so how's the fitment? I'm considering getting the Megan Racing ones if they work on the AWD.
Old 01-03-18, 08:04 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

How's the arm holding up from the RWD?
Old 01-03-18, 08:05 PM
Aspect
Racer

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Did you happen to buy the complete RWD arm? If so how's the fitment? I'm considering getting the Megan Racing ones if they work on the AWD.
I ended up going with OEM AWD UCAs. Didn't want to risk the hassle of getting the wrong part or it not fitting correctly. Sorry I can't confirm the compatibility
Old 01-03-18, 08:11 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aspect
I ended up going with OEM AWD UCAs. Didn't want to risk the hassle of getting the wrong part or it not fitting correctly. Sorry I can't confirm the compatibility
Thanks. I may just get the separate upper ball joint offered by Moog. It's going to be a PIA to remove with the stock spring assembly in the way.
Old 01-03-18, 09:50 PM
rwhtide
Rookie

looked at mine. awd upper arms are (obviously) horseshoe or U-shaped. awd's however are symmetrical with the joint placed in the middle. rwd looks like they are slightly offset from the exact middle
Old 01-03-18, 09:56 PM
rwhtide
Rookie

was talking to one of my best good buddies (ex-indy lex shop mechanic), said the main reason you would want to buy the entire arm just to replace theball joint is because of the pressing aspect of installing the joint into the arm. so if you have the means to a press of some sort, it may be slightly more time consuming, but also much cheaper. especially in my case, where I'm gunna go ahead and replace both. firm believer in doing both sides the same always
Old 01-03-18, 10:57 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rwhtide
was talking to one of my best good buddies (ex-indy lex shop mechanic), said the main reason you would want to buy the entire arm just to replace theball joint is because of the pressing aspect of installing the joint into the arm. so if you have the means to a press of some sort, it may be slightly more time consuming, but also much cheaper. especially in my case, where I'm gunna go ahead and replace both. firm believer in doing both sides the same always
Yes sir you are correct. The thing is they don't have an after market AWD replacement. Is there another way to put the bushing in without a press? I have access to one but I prefer to do the work at home. It looks possible to do the stamped steel looks thin enough. I'll have to look on YouTube or google some pics.
Old 01-03-18, 11:27 PM
rwhtide
Rookie

Originally Posted by MikeFig82
Yes sir you are correct. The thing is they don't have an after market AWD replacement. Is there another way to put the bushing in without a press? I have access to one but I prefer to do the work at home. It looks possible to do the stamped steel looks thin enough. I'll have to look on YouTube or google some pics.
zero experience with that. ive heard rumors that, in a pinch (haha), its possible to use a size-appropriate, run-of-the-mill C-clamp... I can imagine though that they make a tool for specifically that? maybe..

Quick Reply: Upper Control Arm IS250 AWD