Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilovers- most comfortable for DD

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-18, 09:34 AM
MLeopard
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go with a Gixxer Drew setup. It's a coilover sleeve on the factory shock. Gives you ride height adjust ability with a quality shock (I'd do Bilsteins or Konis). You can't go super slammed but it doesn't sound like that's what you want. You can choose your spring rates. I'm running the typically suggested (for a Supra) 600/325 in*lb rates and am happy with them. I might have went a fuzz stiffer in the rear.

Definitely a much sportier ride over the factory shocks/springs they replaced but not jarring when you ht a bump. Regarding price, unless things have went up you'll be in the neighborhood of your basic quality coilovers like the Teins.
The following users liked this post:
2Phaat (07-23-20)
Old 01-15-19, 03:52 PM
koolina13
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coil overs- most comfortable for DD

Originally Posted by gerrb
Aaron - the brand and model of coilover is secondary on how a coilover ride. The construction and spring rates dictates how it rides. You choose the coilover based on the use of your car. Twin Tube coilovers are a lot better for street applications. Monotube coilovers are more for the track or racing circuits . Exactly the reason why many of those coilovers who people say are good riding suspension on the streets or for daily driving have twin tubes and those who people say are sh?tty on the streets are monotube coilovers. People put the wrong kind of coilovers for the use of the car and then complain.

Now that you have mentioned the use of your car and all you need is adjustability of height, regardless of brand and model which would dictate quality , reliability and robustness , you need to buy coilovers that have twin tube constructions then decide on the front and rear spring rates if the manufacturer gives you the option. That has an effect on suspension bounce and quality of ride too.

I have all kinds of suspensions now on my 10 2jzgte toys. From stock suspension to lowering springs / aftermarket shocks to different kinds and brands of coilovers but I am sure by now you know my favorite among them .
​​​​​.
Excellent response to my inquiry. I last purchased mono tube Meghan ez streets when I should’ve gone with twin tubes. Just getting ready to replace them and will be getting twin tubes for my particular driving needs.
Old 01-23-22, 12:09 AM
jszachar
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to say, gerrb, your statement about advantages of twin-tube coilovers against mono tube ones hugely contradicts to what I have read on the subject.

Last edited by jszachar; 01-23-22 at 12:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GrantReid (02-15-22)