Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

F-Sport Sway Bars on ISx50 AWD Anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-17, 06:48 PM
Remch
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F-Sport Sway Bars on ISx50 AWD Anyone??

Was wondering if someone had done this mod to his ISX50 AWD ? I read in the service manual that we need to: remove engine assembly with transaxle to replace the front sway bar !
Is this a joke or what? I can't believe I need to remove the engine for a damn sway. Can you guys give me some advice or tips on this mod please? Can it be done without removing the engine?
Thanks!
Old 04-07-17, 07:47 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

I have an AWD. When I was one messing with the stock one. It looked like the engine must be lifted up a few inches to clear the oil filter housing. Then you can maneuver the bar around to make it slide in. By lifting the engine I mean. Loosen up the motor mounts & maybe the trans mount removed also to be able to lift it properly. Some one that has actually done may chime in.
Old 04-07-17, 07:59 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

I'm going to bump this thread since my sway bars are almost delivered as well. The most I could dig up on the matter was that the front was difficult/tricky and that you need to move the engine a bit. So far I have not found any DIYs even on the front sway bar for regular or non-awd ISs. Depending on the insight for this thread, I may or may not trust an independent shop for doing the front and may pay the stealership for the work for the front bar installation.
Old 04-08-17, 05:13 PM
Remch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aspect
I'm going to bump this thread since my sway bars are almost delivered as well. The most I could dig up on the matter was that the front was difficult/tricky and that you need to move the engine a bit. So far I have not found any DIYs even on the front sway bar for regular or non-awd ISs. Depending on the insight for this thread, I may or may not trust an independent shop for doing the front and may pay the stealership for the work for the front bar installation.
I have the install instructions for the 2009+ RWD only, and it looks like it can be done easily, but not the AWD...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1qsnxyg5kf...0bars.pdf?dl=0
Old 04-08-17, 08:40 PM
Aspect
Racer

Originally Posted by Remch
I have the install instructions for the 2009+ RWD only, and it looks like it can be done easily, but not the AWD...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1qsnxyg5kf...0bars.pdf?dl=0
Wow that looks really easy... I'll have to upload the AWD instructions to CL when I get them since nobody seems to have.
Old 04-08-17, 08:40 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

check this thread for DIY installation

Also, the sway bars come with instructions if you bought the brand new. The instructions are straight forward.
Old 04-08-17, 08:48 PM
Aspect
Racer

Originally Posted by XSV
check this thread for DIY installation

Also, the sway bars come with instructions if you bought the brand new. The instructions are straight forward.
Yeah I've read those instructions many a times but my concern and possibly problem is the differences between the regular RWD and AWD instructions regarding the front sway bar installation. As the OP mentioned and what I've read here and there is that the installation for the front sway bar is a little bit more intensive on the AWD. I've not found a source anywhere yet that has stated that the process is the same between the two models.
Old 04-09-17, 03:37 AM
Remch
Driver School Candidate

Wow that looks really easy... I'll have to upload the AWD instructions to CL when I get them since nobody seems to have.
Yes that would be awesome if could do that for us, I have yet to found the pdf instructions from lexus. Btw, the sway bars kit for awd are no longer produced and is now discontinued...
Old 04-09-17, 07:06 AM
Aspect
Racer

Yes that would be awesome if could do that for us, I have yet to found the pdf instructions from lexus. Btw, the sway bars kit for awd are no longer produced and is now discontinued...
It's true that they are discontinued but it's still possible to obtain brand new F sport sway bars through places like eBay. I've been getting all my F sport parts through ebay even though the whole 2IS F sport accessories catalog is discontinued, pretty sure it's just places getting rid of old stock and such.
Old 04-11-17, 12:57 PM
Aspect
Racer

Just got the sway bars in. Will upload the instructions later but in short - yes the subframe has to be lowered to install the front sway bar but the rear should be the same easy process as RWD.
The following users liked this post:
Remch (04-11-17)
Old 04-11-17, 05:45 PM
Remch
Driver School Candidate

Just got the sway bars in. Will upload the instructions later but in short - yes the subframe has to be lowered to install the front sway bar but the rear should be the same easy process as RWD.
So it's not too hard to do then? How is your review of those bars ? Is it worth the money?
Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-11-17, 08:21 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

So it's not too hard to do then? How is your review of those bars ? Is it worth the money?
Thanks for sharing!
Yes, they are worth the money if you want better handling (I have RWD not AWD).
Old 04-11-17, 09:38 PM
Aspect
Racer

Thanks for sharing!
Here are the scans for the manual. Sorry that they are upside down... I realized this just now. Sorry I mislead you with my wording, I mean I just got the bars in the mail. They'll be fully installed along with my coilovers by next week. So my personal opinion will take about a week's time, else everyone praises them as the best bang for buck upgrade you can do so I have high hopes for them.

Reading over the front sway bar installation it seems very straight forward. The only things I see that would pose a problem would be any rusted bolts which is my recurring fear when working on the car.

Fixed: PDFs are now corrected
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AWD Sway 1.pdf (1.65 MB, 199 views)
AWD Sway 2.pdf (1.68 MB, 159 views)
AWD Sway 3.pdf (2.09 MB, 140 views)
AWD Sway 4.pdf (1.86 MB, 134 views)
AWD Sway 5.pdf (1.85 MB, 149 views)
AWD Sway 6.pdf (1.66 MB, 161 views)

Last edited by Aspect; 04-12-17 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-12-17, 10:00 AM
Aspect
Racer

Well I got stuck on even the easiest part - removing the bolts for the rear sway bar links - because of all the built up rust. Sigh, guess I got to bring it to a shop afterall
Old 04-12-17, 10:57 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

I would just hack saw the old ones off. Pull oem bar off, and add new endlinks to the F sport bar.

Quick Reply: F-Sport Sway Bars on ISx50 AWD Anyone??